Raptorsin7

How To Control Thinking

31 posts in this topic

Be the observer of your thoughts, and do not identify with any. Do not cling to them and do not believe them. Separate yourself from the flow of thoughts and become this silent and detached observer. Make this observation your practice at any time. When you go to work and you are on the bus or train, instead of reading the newspaper or listening to the music you observe the thoughts, when you cook you observe the thoughts, when you walk on the street you observe them. This should be your number 1 practice, which you should always do, not only during the time allocated to meditation, but at any moment so freely, in which you do not need to use your mind. Watch your mind with vigilance and attention like a tiger when hunting for prey. When you are not attached to your thoughts and you do not believe them you are happy, because then you realize that you are happiness itself. If the thoughts are transient and the happiness brought by them is just as transient. You are the silent witness eternal happy.❤️

@Raptorsin7 What if there is no desert, and no water. 

It's the seeking for something which is the resistance, the resistance to what is. There is no right and wrong way. 

You'll experience happiness in what's around you when you go directly to source, to what is. This can be achieved in many ways, meditation is a good route. 

You appear to be seeking for answers.  You will only get these answers from deep within you when you are ready. 

Edited by Surfingthewave

Sometime

19 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I can that stand for only moments at a time before i get dragged back into content. I know changing thinking can work wonders that's why im so interested in it. I want to get this little win, before i move onto something more advanced like trying to embody just plane awareness in every moment of my life.

Moments are fine. The span will become longer. Choose your time for meditation, when the mind is relatively quiet.

But when there is a lot of thinking going on you should be mindful as well. Let the mind do its stuff. Just observe it doing it. Allow thoughts to appear. There is a reason for their appearance. But don't hold on to them, let them go. And as you do you find your self in the space between thoughts. Come back to this space as often as possible 

@Raptorsin7

no, I wouldn't say that, enlightenement is when you become The Sims game instead of identifing with a single Sim, or at least that's how I understand that

but I'm going through an spiritual awakening process right now and I'm aware of like all of my thougths and behaviours

it's like - when you are a spider, you do not think about how to create a web or you do not identify with being a fucking dog, you are just natural you and you just feel what to do and when to do it, flow state

Edited by 28 cm unbuffed

@28 cm unbuffed Are you happy and satisfied with your life then? If you are already happy and satisfied what is your motivation to continue with spiritual work?

The whole idea of controlling thinking is a tricky one - it's a paradox (thinking of controlling thinking) 

Try to stop the flow of a river when it's full. You can't. But when the source dries up, you no longer have a river. 

@Raptorsin7 Thoughts just come in awareness. 5 minutes of meditation can confirm this for you. If you wanna break away from negative thoughts I would recommend doing Kriya Yoga, it silences the mind very well.

Mahadev

@Surfingthewave It is truth. Having and maintaining a self image is survival 101. All concepts are false and dead. Self images are counterproductive.

@Ero If you can’t handle the activity naturally you will try to stop it. Just know that you can do a lot with thought if you know how to do it. 

Happiness is not created by a positive self image or by turning thoughts on and off ?.

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

14 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I'm very confused about how to control my thinking. Sometimes I hear people say that you don't control thinking, and that thoughts are simply arising in awareness. But on the other hand I think that my thinking habits are the reason I am unhappy, and so i need to change thinking habits to improve my feeling in life. But how do i resolve this paradox? Am in control of thinking or are thoughts just arising outside of my control?

Also, can someone expand on the role of thinking in how we feel about our lives. Why is it that thinking is important to happiness?

The mind is programmed to think in a certain way. It's programmed from the day you were born or maybe even earlier. If you believe these unhappy thoughts then that leads to unhappiness. What you can do is break the identification with the thoughts by becoming aware of them. As soon as you notice them being only thoughts then they start to lose there power over you.