Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Key Elements

Human rights and movements toward democracy.

15 posts in this topic

This defector used to be an ambassador to Denmark and other countries and saw a difference. He looks like he's not afraid to speak out to bring about positive changes toward democracy, even in China. I think this clip is informative and makes me think about the approach to my life purpose. How do we change ppl's thinking when they grew up in such environments? It can't all of a sudden happen.

changing anybody does not work if they don't show willingness to change.

China and DPRK are shitholes. They literally indoctrinates people. People don't have any real freedom. Everthing gets censored.

I have read or watched somewhere that people of China finds it hard to look another person into their eyes. Most of them have got self esteem issues. So you can assume how deep their state's shit system goes as it is effecting their people's self confidence.

30 minutes ago, Annoynymous said:

changing anybody does not work if they don't show willingness to change.

China and DPRK are shitholes. They literally indoctrinates people. People don't have any real freedom. Everthing gets censored.

I have read or watched somewhere that people of China finds it hard to look another person into their eyes. Most of them have got self esteem issues. So you can assume how deep their state's shit system goes as it is effecting their people's self confidence.

Yeah, ok, I get your point. You can't just say that all hope is lost and forget about them. Nope. But, my point is, how do we make small changes being who we are? For instance, in my case, I know how to speak Chinese (Mandarin), and plan to teach it. What can I do here in the US to contribute to a gradual change in someone's mindset? Let's say this person is someone from China, a Chinese student perhaps, in the US for the first time? Maybe it's someone from the US going to China. China is no longer completely isolated. Otherwise, it will become like North Korea.

Human beings by nature are capable of going up the spiral (SD). You could see the generation gap.

If someone is visiting the US from China, then there is a fair chance that the person is willing to embrace some degrees of change.

If you meet one like that, it will be quite easy for you to bring some changes in them. Do what you would call "normal" in your county. For example, it is easy for you as a us citizen to critisize the president openly. But a Chinese people can not even think of it doing in their country. So he/she will get the idea of freedom of speech. 

You can do a lot of things to teach them. Most chinese people are at stage blue. You can expose them to corss cultural communities and how they live harmoniously with each other. I bet it will be a foreign and eye opening experience for them.

These are a few examples. You can do a lot more than that. You have to understand that situations in China is lot worse than the west. Even the most conservative person in your country will be assumed as liberal in China.

In terms of you going to China and bring changes, i will say don't even think of doing that. I repeat, just don't. If you go there and introduce progressive ideas to people, chances are high that you will be detained by the authority and if you are lucky, then they would let you return to your country. Otherwise it can go worse than your worst nightmares. 

They want compliance with their authoritarian structure. They won't stand a bit of deviant from that and they can be very very brutal.     

Edited by Annoynymous

@Annoynymous what country do you think I'm from? I'm not from China. I know China is communist. Most ppl in the US know that. I have never been to China.

34 minutes ago, Annoynymous said:

You can do a lot of things to teach them. Most chinese people are at stage blue.    

I agree with you on the stage blue part. China is homogeneous. Many of them have a lot of trouble adjusting, not just with English, but with seeing different ppl. For example, if they see an interracial couple walking or sitting together, they will laugh out loud or keep gossipping about them. They stick together in their own groups. Be careful of using what I said as a stereotype. Not all are like this. Some have adjusted. It happens with stage blue ppl anywhere in business, in jobs, etc. No, a Chinese American is definitely not the same as someone who is newly from China. They will ask me if I'm Chinese. I am from a South East Asian country originally. I think some of them expect me to say, "yes, I am Chinese." Otherwise, they will think I'm lying because how am I able to speak Chinese? Oh, well, I don't care. For a stage blue person, they don't understand. If they are stuck, they will hold on to their beliefs and be suspicious of petty labels.

Hmmm...wait. After posting these, I just got through talking to my friend on the phone. He's gay, and he's from mainland China, studying his master's in the US. I told him this, and he said that he is openly gay and making mainland Chinese friends here in the US. So, basically, he's saying that it's not always true that everyone is in stage blue. Hmmm...ok. That's interesting. 

I think a good approach would be to not be too judgemental towards them and be compassionate if they are in a lower development state as a society, so they probably have had less privileges than you in life.

Get to know the people in person and don't force your ideologies on them, just genuinely accept where they are and maybe you can learn some valuable lessons too.

3 hours ago, Hatfort said:

Get to know the people in person and don't force your ideologies on them, just genuinely accept where they are and maybe you can learn some valuable lessons too.

It's the opposite. If they are stage blue, and you are beyond that, normally, you get to hear all their opinions, ideologies, and small talks. They could be overly friendly at first. Later, there will be distance from them. Have you worked with stage blue ppl? Just keep it very professional.

5 hours ago, Key Elements said:

It's the opposite. If they are stage blue, and you are beyond that, normally, you get to hear all their opinions, ideologies, and small talks. They could be overly friendly at first. Later, there will be distance from them. Have you worked with stage blue ppl? Just keep it very professional.

Indeed, I'm from Europe and I live in Africa now, people are as religious as my grandparents were 75 years ago, as a society even more, very blue. There's no conflict or violence per se here, but very poor and economically basic individual survival oriented red state, I would even say they need to get more into blue yet. The most advanced are already at state orange, very business oriented. There's almost no green, just a few signs in some young people.

I don't perceive it as you do though, of course people have their opinions, but in a sense it's like everywhere else. People are friendly here, that I can tell too and I honestly like that very much.

Edited by Hatfort

@Key Elements i think you are over generalizing. Obviously not every people in China are at stage Blue. You can find several stages. But most of them are stage blue.

As i said earlier, those who have migrated in the states will be more open minded and conscious.

Also you have to understand when these people enter the states they are bombarded with new reality which can feel like a lot at a time. So if you wanna teach them something new, take it slow. Obviously they are gonna resist, but slowly with enough exposure to new environment,  they will start accepting and understanding.  

Edited by Annoynymous

@Annoynymous I'm not trying to overgeneralize. I know they are not all in blue. Why would I make a friend from there? I'm talking about only the ones in blue, if I have to deal with them.

@Key Elements dealing with blue is one thing and try to bring changes in them is another.

As i live in an area which is predominantly blue, i know it is not hard to deal with them.

But to change them? Lol.

I have to have willingness to die if i try to do that in south asia :(

But it is possible if i encounter them in progressive areas like the west.