capriciousduck

Self-Study

5 posts in this topic

Guys, I am doing a bit of research on how should I learn. Should I self study or should I go and seek the help of a teacher?

And I am interested in learning topics related to Electrical Engineering. So, as of now, I am learning on my own. And now this doubt occurred to me....about the requirement of a teacher.

I know that this question should not be posted in this forum but I think I am just taking advice on learning itself but not a doubt related to EE.So I posted my doubt here. I also watched Leo's research video...so I felt curious to do a bit of research on the doubt I have.

The majority of the work will be done by you, regardless of you having a teacher /mentor or you studied in some form of an organisation.

Autodidactism is a quality you want to build.

For highly professional topics like these a teacher may be of help, but you can do it yourself. It'll just take a lot more out of you - discipline, consistency and some kind of an approach. 

Learning yourself will be definitely harder, but you'll grow a lot more out of it.

In essence that's how I study math and physics to prepare for science olympiads and competition. 

Do both. Get mentors and self learn. Learn hoe you learn. Learn how you think. Its held me back not knowing. The sooner you know the better. 

It all depends on how you want to study and which approach - autodidactism or help from a teacher - resonates best with you. Personally I never liked sitting in a class room and have a teacher who assigns me tasks, even in high school, college, evening school, ... I started studying Computer Science Engineering recently (self-study at an online university) and I notice that it works way better if I can make the self-tests and assignments on my own, with online help if needed, but without going to class or being told what to do. But that's me...

Also, the key to studying in general is repetition! Allow yourself the time you think you need and multiply this with 2 or even 3. This way you have plenty of time to repeat everything, or spend some more time on a subject you didn't fully grasped the first time, and all of this without (too much) pressure.

Of course, sometimes you can get stuck on something and then it's a good idea to consult a teacher.