Khron

Am I meditating correctly?

22 posts in this topic

I've had a meditation practice for about six months. In which time I've moved up from 10 minutes to 40 minutes everyday with maybe a five to 10% failure rate as in I miss days.

I tried meditation for a short time before this relatively solid practice block. I noticed most of the thoughts that pop up now are administrative just like when I started months ago...

Are you doing it right? You're not doing it right. It's supposed to be like this. All these thoughts are flying past and you are observing past thoughts instead of current thoughts. Now, you're not even observing , you're trying to stop thoughts completely.

It gets to the point where I feel like my entire meditation session is just me trying to meditate. Is full of course correcting and oh you forgot about this because it's supposed to feel like that I think and on and on. Even when I try the do nothing method, I keep asking myself hey, am I doing this right? Am I doing nothing correctly LOL. How do I know if I'm doing it right? How is it any different from any other time I let my mind run free?

So, my question is is all of this supposed to happen or am I bringing my own neuroses into the process?

So you are only spending time with spirit for 10 - 40 minutes a day and expect to see results? What are you doing the other 1400 minutes?

To see results of a yogi, guru or master, you must devote your whole life to spirit, not to say you need to meditate 24/7 but you must live in a way that keeps you in a meditate, present-moment-awareness state throughout the day and focus on what you truly what to see and experience in life. That's when you start to see change.

Most of my day is spiritually focused, i am either meditating, reading books, loving, gardening, dancing, playing instruments, drawing, creating, loving, helping others, cleaning the streets, being kind and compassionate to others, uplifting their spirits, sharing my stories, making the world a better place, ect..

Life is what you make it :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

As long as you are being observant, you are doing meditation correctly.  Meditation is all about being aware of the present moment without judgement or control.  Even when you ask "Am I doing this meditation right?", you can be aware of the voice asking that question.  Whatever comes into your awareness, whether it's a thought, sensation, or emotion, all you need to do is place your awareness on it and do nothing about it.  No control is necessary.

Also, there is no such thing as a "past thought."  What you realize through meditation is that each thought is a phenomenon happening in the present moment, even if it feels like you are actually living in the past.  What you will also realize through enough practice is that thoughts are outside of your control.  All you need to do during meditation is let you mind go wherever it wants and ONLY watch, do not control.

Lastly, I would make sure to do meditation every single day.  Absolutely no days should be skipped.  If you only have 10 minutes one day, then there you go.  

Speaking as someone who struggles with a strict routine of daily sittings, I find it helps doing daily life mindfulness too, which I can practice in most activities. Probably a regular combination of both is best, but just do what you can and don't add to your worries thinking "I'm not doing it right if I miss a session." 

It's also probably worth looking at where you got your narrative about "doing it right" from. All meditation teachers say we have a monkey mind full of obsessive thoughts. If you're following the technique you're doing it right.   Maybe you are comparing your actual monkey mind with some ideal of a mind without thought. silent, still, blissful etc. So you think you aren't getting the right outcome. I totally sympathise because I was like that too. For a long time. But the paradox is, the more you accept your imperfections, perturbations, turbulence, the more peaceful you become. 

54 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@pluto How do you make money? 

Be disabled. Even though I know it was out of my control, I still feel constant guilt for it.

@Khron I was talking to @pluto. There is nothing wrong with getting disability in my opinion. People need help sometimes and there is nothing to be ashamed of about that. Anyone who makes someone feel bad for being on disability is deluded. You are doing everything right imo. You are trying to meditate to improve yourself. Keep improving yourself. You have no reason to feel guilty friend, but there is also nothing wrong with the feeling of guilt. Accept it. Then let it go.

Keep posting here and trying to learn. There are many very wise people who can help you. 

Also, i was in the same position as you in my meditation for a few years. The most important thing is to keep doing it. No matter what happens don't get discouraged. Good session. Bad session. Does not matter at all. Literally at all. Just do your best to keep showing up. Eventually it will all work out, and it will all start making sense. Good luck (:

@silene  I think growing up, most of the positive reinforcement I received was through academic achievement so I developed a need to be right. I'm not real sure how to deal with that but I can see how it could clash with meditation, a world of ambiguity, in my experience.

I believe there is some mind comparisons going on. I have the impression regarding meditation, a silent mind is the correct answer.

Good notes

13 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@pluto How do you make money? 

By giving freely, sharing with others, loving others, universe take care of me because i have absolute trust so i am infinitely abundant(so to speak) ect.. I work sometimes if i need extra money, people are always open to my help but i rarely need to do so because i live very minimalist lifestyle. I can get by with very little. Less = more and i don't know, its just how the universe works, it sorta flows your way the more you trust and embody and surrender to the divine flow :) Even if i end up homeless, i am free in my mind and spirit so i will still be happy. External reality rarely affects my state of being, i do slip up sometimes but most of the time i am effortlessly flowing because i embody a very pure degree of who and what i am at a core, fundamental level, why? cause why limit self?

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

1 minute ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@pluto Wow very interesting.

I got myself here by kept believing in myself until it became a knowing, once you know it always works, life just flows. Daily affirmations help, it all started several years ago with tricking my mind into believing its infinitely powerful. All the money i spend comes back to me multiplied) was one of my first and most repetitive affirmations i repeated daily. That was just one example, then i started doing more and more and eventually had to unlearn everything i learned and create my life in a new way that suited my needs. I'm no Jesus or Buddha but i can definitely get there if i truly wanted to. I have had enough tastes of the Enlightened state. Remaining there in the Midst of the storm, of the chaos is sorta my new challenge. Only very few masters achieved this and i am always pushing myself to be my greatest version and when i feel absolute greatness, i know there is always greater so i am always growing and ascending :) That's the joy of life!

B R E A T H E

5 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@pluto When you listen to affirmations do you repeat them or just listen to the tape?

I create them myself, i feel them, i embody them, i behave as if i am already there or have what i desire as i ultimately do because we are all one. The more oneness you see/feel the more rapid manifestation occurs. They become second nature playing on autoplay in my cells. I direct my cells to repeat them over and over again. I no longer do them as much as i used to but this is how it all started and nowadays its sort of second nature and more effortless where i no longer need to do the hard work and believe i just know within myself and sooner or later it becomes more and more apparent because when you experience oneness you experience everything so there is an aspect of yourself that already has what you seek or desire you just have to tune more into that vibration. Be the change you wish to see in the world :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

It's kinda hard to answer, because only you can foolproof your practice. The best way to do that is to try different forms of meditations, go on a few retreats and reads some books about it. Leo's Book List has some great titles. By testing out and then comparing, you'll find what's best for you. 

Try out psychedelics, long retreats. Meditation is not the only form of a spiritual practice. 

4 hours ago, Ero said:

Meditation is not the only form of a spiritual practice. 

This is good advice. We could do with an updated list of categories of spiritual practice, like Patanjali's types of yoga. How about this for a start: 

Physical activity (eg hatha) incl bodywork, breath work, diet, exercise, sleep, cleanliness, declutteriing. 

Intellectual knowledge, broadening our understanding, education. 

Meditation and mindfulness (dhyana?)

Service to others (eg karma).

Devotion and love (eg bhakti, worship, prayer)

Energy work (eg kundalini, tantra, chi kung, reiki)

Nature connection. Gardening, wilderness, environmentalism, animals, rambling. Prudent living, make your own things, DIY. 

Obviously we don't need to practice all of them, or be into yoga, it's just an indication of some categories which are available. And I love a good list :) Although this is harder than I expected, as there's overlaps eg service and love are connected. 

@pluto

16 hours ago, pluto said:

Most of my day is spiritually focused, i am either meditating, reading books, loving, gardening, dancing, playing instruments, drawing, creating, loving, helping others, cleaning the streets, being kind and compassionate to others, uplifting their spirits, sharing my stories, making the world a better place, ect.

♥️?♥️?♥️?♥️

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

I wonder what are you looking to gain by having it done by yourself?? Like, what good there is to get this by yourself anyway? In the end, when you can ride a bicycle, everyone can do it as well who rides around with one. 

If you are motivated to learn and practice meditation then find a one who is willing to instruct. There is a great book called "The Mind Illuminated" if you like it in the form of a book. 

5 minutes ago, SoonHei said:

@pluto

♥️?♥️?♥️?♥️

This is bullshit though ?

There is no «special» activities that are more spiritual than another one.

If you believe that you're fooling yourself and still create a duality.

?

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them