Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raptorsin7

Nothing Can Make You Happy

61 posts in this topic

Very profound talk about happiness. I have struggled to find happiness for much my life and this video is the best i've seen on the topic.

It has been my daily meditation for a few months. Pretty amazing. 

Thanks for sharing 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@perlita I literally just found this today. Seems like a total game changer. I'm going to make this daily too.

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche,  Tibetan teacher of the Karma Kagyu and Nyingma lineages of Tibetan Buddhism.

The guy is not the most intellectual monk but he strikes me as a happy one.
If you are trying to find happiness look at happy people and see what you can observe. 
Not happy jerks that don't you respect.  People you do respect. 
People that don't seem happy are not going to be the of the group that you might really learn form, no matter
how intellectual they are about it or claims they make.
Even a happy idiot knows more.  Observe them. It's a natural characteristic 
and if you stay focused on it you can learn a little of it
But there are so many distractions and curiosities in this internet world

Edited by Nak Khid

@Nak Khid Do you think Rupert Spira is not happy?

These guys are saying the same thing. But I like Rupert Spira's delivery better. He is more direct.

@Raptorsin7 The very last minute: "Resist nothing, seek nothing, need nothing, be nothing."  Gives me goose bumps. 

39 minutes ago, perlita said:

@Raptorsin7 The very last minute: "Resist nothing, seek nothing, need nothing, be nothing."  Gives me goose bumps. 

Sure it gives you goose bumps. It's the end of seeking happiness as a foundation to your existence.

1 hour ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Nak Khid Do you think Rupert Spira is not happy?

These guys are saying the same thing. But I like Rupert Spira's delivery better. He is more direct.

On Novenber 24 I mad a thread about this very same video

It's like what Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche said in the video different people have different tastes or ways of being happy.
So if Rupert Spira seems a little flat to me relative to Mingyur Rinpoche seems  more that is relative to the particulars of who I am and may not
relate to your personality as much.
My point was that Rupert Spira is more intellectual and articulate in English but to me, feels a little glib.

I also find the statement "nothing can make you happy" a little extreme and not really true.  I think you have to do certain things to be happy and I see that as a thing even if outside of external things.  It sounds more of like something to say to catch your attention .

Edited by Nak Khid

@cetus56 Do we need to be reminded over and over again. I understand the depth of what you said, but I feel like i can still get caught...

@Nak Khid I see very interesting. Yea it's all about what resonates to you personally. I understand why people emphasize the personal approach to spirituality more now. You gotta find what works and it will unfold in a way that is unique to you.

26 minutes ago, Nak Khid said:

I also find the statement "nothing can make you happy" a little extreme and not really true.  I think you have to do certain things to be happy and I see that as a thing even if outside of external things.  It sounds more of like something to say to catch your attention

Pretty radical stuff huh? ;) I say be openminded to what Rupert is saying here, try to see if you can verify it or not. For me, I definitely resonate with what he's talking about here. He's also not even the first teacher to expose me to the idea of such radical happiness. It was actually Peter Ralston. 

Edit: You also seem to be judging Rupert's happiness based on his external state. Surely you can see how fallacious this is? Why does happiness have to look a certain way? All in all, judge the teaching not the teacher. If what he says doesn't resonate with you, cool, but don't project judgements like "oh happiness has to look a certain way." 

Edited by Consilience

@cetus56 I can recognize happiness in the moment. But then i get caught up in distraction then i'm back searching for happiness again. I can bring it back to the present, but it's not consistent in the present.

5 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@cetus56 Do we need to be reminded over and over again. I understand the depth of what you said, but I feel like i can still get caught...

Of course because part of the self's survival technique is to seek happiness/pleasure out there somewhere, which counterintuitively leads to suffering.  The ego's survival techniques kick in as if on autopilot so you have to always stay mindful of it and rest in being.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

If you remain alone and sit in diligent meditation and see the truth
that won't make you happy.  If you help people or contribute to people and love people it makes you happy. 
You have to take action to be happy.  But if you only want truth
you can have that too but then you will find yourself alone in the truth