lostmedstudent

how to get out of a rut?

10 posts in this topic

Hi im looking for some practical advice for my situation. 

Been in the rut for about 1 month, on and off.

I finalized a pretty big school related application the end of November during which i burned out. While i am still recovering mentally and physically from that, i have received bad news this past 2 weeks (family member falling ill, multiple interview rejections for various schools that i applied to, another final exam coming up next week). so the past week especially, i have been ruminating a lot, especially regarding the interview rejections, analyzing all that i couldve shouldve done differently, I worked damn hard but that application process is known to be unforgiving, so i wish i did more research earlier , i wish this and that. 

i stopped meditating regularly for a while, cant just seem to bring myself back to it. running and studying are the only 2 productive activities i do at this point. otherwise im just in a pretty irritable mood with everyone around me, i stopped preparing my lunches, i watch youtube, go on different forums, and just feeeling like a victim from all the interview rejections. i did receive some offers, but the rejections are beating me down so hard that i cant even bring myself to be happy or confident about the offers. 

my sleep is getting better but i m just tired of feeling sad all the time about the interviews. i mean there isnt anything i can do to change the outcome, so what can i do to get out of this rut, and to learn from this experience? 

whats the first step i should take to get out of this mindset?

thank you all , i appreciate your help  and advice

@lostmedstudent take a week off and go on a holiday where you can collect yourself. Best would be to go alone and avoid all unnecessary distraction like Netflix, YouTube, internet. Optimally you get a shack were there is no way to distract yourself whatsoever with entertainment, so you can't flee from yourself or your situation. But don't shut yourself off completely hike a bit or schedule a day or two to do something enjoyable like skying or going in a museum. Give yourself some room to breathe.;)

I just overcame a big rut myself which was caused by an emotional blockade and conflicting beliefs. 

The Videos below helped me a lot but it really depends on your situation and now I learned a lot about myself and my past through this mini life crisis. 

Contemplate the root of your issues/rut and then search for a tailored solution. 

"The journey never ends, the point of arrival is always now." 

@Raptorsin7 I watched it!L sounds SUPER hard to do. Have you tried it yourself?

i might do that one day over the holidays

thank you :)

@Spiral Wizard thanks!

but more practically what did you do? Did you just listen to the videos? What did you apply pragmatically to your life to help you feel better and learn?

@Alex we can’t always afford a week off unfortunately, but I do have the Christmas holiday coming up so it would be a good occasion to recover. 
What you said is similar to what was said in the video above: dopamine fast! :)

thanks!!

@lostmedstudent I have done it. It was not hard for me, and to be honest I have struggled with discipline and procrastination a lot during my life so i bet you can do it. 

I think it can be really effective to just create some perspective on your life because that day will completely shatter your routine and current mode of operating. Right now you have negative momentum so you're just feeding your own unhappiness and unsatisfaction with life. You have to break the cycle, and this can be a good way to break it.

If it seems like too much to do then you have to start smaller. Do something you like, or listen to inspiring music. You have to get some momentum moving in the opposite direction, and to start it has to be something that you believe you can actually do.