Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNR Mackey

Resources For Improving One's Diet And Overall Health

1 post in this topic

Hey guys,

Fitness and nutrition have been a keystone habit in my life for over a decade now. I got started at 16 years old when I was 6'3" and only 160lbs (super skinny). I got super interested in bodybuilding when I saw a Magazine cover with some monster of a guy on it but at that point I wasnt aware of steroids. I personally have never used them and have no interest to. Lately Ive been more focused on maintaining my current weight of about 215lbs at low body fat and improving my overall athletecism.

One thing I struggled with on my fitness journey was finding high quality resources for training and nutrition, as even the scientifically backed youtube channels and blogs, I've found, are just seething with dogma and can be quite toxic. 

Id like to share with you all, 2 sources that Ive found in the last 2 years that have made the biggest positive impact on my progress and stick-to-it-iveness.

If anyone else has some resources they've found particularly helpful, please post them here ?

This first video is from Simnett Nutrition. Derek Simnett is a Holistic Nutritionist, Vegan athlete and Calisthenic enthusiast who currently lives on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. He has an incredible wealth of knowledge in nutrition and I find his channel has a great positive vibe. This video talks about the health benefits of Bananas and is from his Amazing Food series under his playlists tab. I enjoy all his videos, but I thought this would be a great starting point for anyone unfamiliar with his channel. Derek's channel inspired me to become vegan, which Ive been for 7 weeks at this point. Check it out!

Next, the training aspect.

Being a tall scrawny, nerd necky, slouched posture type ectomorph (tall, skinny, difficulty with putting on weight body type), I struggled with this condition called Anterior Pelvic Tilt. As this video explains, it's when the hips tilt forward, causing the lower back to arch inward, and the lowey belly and butt to stick out. This video shows how to go about correcting this problem. Athlean-X is a channel ran by Jeff Cavalier, a physiotherapist and pro athlete trainer. This video is from his "How-To" playlist, but Ive gotten a lot of value from all of his videos. I watch one while drinking my home made pre workout shake, which I formulate my self with isolated ingredients, and integrate the lessons from that video into my workout for that day. (Learning = Behaviour change) 

Let me know what you think and please add to this list.

Edited by MNR Mackey
Typos and edits