Patrick Lynam

Told to drop meditation

39 posts in this topic

@Aaron p I honestly feel like i could i dont see why not its just when someone tells you not to its like omg what do i do haaha

6 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

That doesn't sound like to much to me. Is there something I'm missing?

Ha, that made me laugh. I was imagining hours! :D

Edited by Amandine

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

I recommend not quiting meditation. Meditation is a beast, the ego is scared to death of it. If you meditate and self-inquire into the question "What am I?" the ultimate answer "I am God!" will become your true experience. The ego itself cannot fathom that it's God and will even deny it, since the ego itself is an infinite illusion and delusion. That's the first thing to realize. The second thing to realize is that God is infinite illusion, delusion and limitation. The ego IS God. 

The Infinite and finite are one and the same. You are the Infinite right now experiencing being finite. 

4 hours ago, Patrick Lynam said:

@Aaron p I honestly feel like i could i dont see why not its just when someone tells you not to its like omg what do i do haaha

Are you in Rockhampton?  You could visit Ananda Buddhist Centre, on the corner of Hinchliff and Munro Streets, North Rockhampton. The centre is located on the ground floor of the Mt Archer Lions Club hall, adjacent to the Parkana Football Club.Calm Abiding Meditation Sundays 10-11am, Ananda Buddhist Centre

https://www.anandabuddhist.com.au/

Keep meditating lol.

Hatha yoga helps me ground.

Also my style of Vipassana involves walking meditation. Another grounding mindful practice.

Don't stop meditating lol. Meditation is just observing now. Nothing to stop doing.

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

11 hours ago, Patrick Lynam said:

@WelcometoReality perhaps its isolation i spent almost no time with friends and has been that way for the past year as i live in a very low blue/ orange part of the world in a town with only about 80,000 people in australia quite isolated 

Is that a problem for you or do they seem to have a problem with it?

If you want friends go ahead and get friends but getting friends because someone else thinks so is probably not the way.

14 hours ago, Patrick Lynam said:

So I'm 22 and have been meditating on and off since i was about 18... I'm also not very experienced with psychedelics i have done LSD maybe 5 times and pretty much always had bad trips 

"At the end of the day you're either a caterpillar or a butterfly, and the only way anyone will ever have even the slightest sense of what it means to be a butterfly is to become one. There are no butterfly experts among the caterpillars, despite innumerable claims to the contrary" - Jed McKenna

Butterflies don't meditate.

"Do you think you can clear your mind by sitting constantly in silent meditation? This makes your mind narrow, not clear."  Lao-Tzu  Huahujing

“If your purpose is to medicate dukkha,...then meditate. If your wish is bodhi,...practice absolute bodhicitta.”  a Chan  saying.

Hui Neng said that meditation is unnecessary, and warned that such practice can easily become a narcotic.   

"Free yourself from meditation, practice non-meditation" - Kyergangpa Chökyi Senge

"The practice of meditation is represented by the three monkeys, who cover their eyes, ears and mouths so as to avoid the phenomenal world. The practice of non-meditation is ceasing to be the see-er, hearer or speaker while eyes, ears and mouths are fulfilling their function in daily life."   - Wei Wu Wei  

"in my regard there is no view on which to meditate" - Kunje Gyalpo

"You don't need to meditate for hours and hours to attain inner peace.  You need only to see, feel, and act from the heart."  Kung Fu Panda

"Meditation is about repetition, whereas Non-meditation is observing something totally new in every moment. If you want to connect with the open, spacious quality of mind, at some point you have to stop trying to meditate."  Lama Willa B Miller

"The state of non-meditation is born in the heart...."  Jigme Lingpa

"meditation and religious teachings are all gentle deceptions meant to soothe the inner coward, not forge the inner hero."  Jed McKenna

Historically, Siddhartha Gautama was near dead from meditation when a young girl named Sujata (likely a dakini) offered him some food (perhaps rice cooked in milk). Some say a state of appreciation filled him from this meal, and others as he recovered his physical strength, through a state of appreciation, he realized the nature of Dependent Origination from which suffering arises.

As for LSD,...I've used it over 300 times and never had a "bad trip."   Perhaps LSD is not your "cup of tea."   Psilocybin was my food of choice,...but from what you wrote, I wouldn't recommend that for you.

Bad trips arise from Me Stories,...thus, the best thing you could do for yourself is find and let go of as many personal truths as you can.

Personal truths are always lies.

Conditions cannot enter the Unconditional,...although the medicated and the media-ted believe otherwise.

Don't seek truth,...in your condition that is futile.

"We need to draw our attention to what is false in us, for unless we learn to recognize the false as the false, there can be no lasting transformation, and you will always be drawn back into illusion, for that is how the false perpetuates itself"        Eckhart Tolle

"The real seeker of truth never seeks truth. On the contrary, she tries to clean herself of all that is untrue, inauthentic, insincere."  Chandra Mohan Jain

"What is false need not be remedied, it merely needs to be seen as false."  Wu Hsin 

un universoul 386245484354469888_n.jpg

"The Feminine of Duality is not a gender of Form, but the Wave of a Particle" - V Panetta

1 hour ago, V-8 said:

Do you think you can clear your mind by sitting constantly in silent meditation? This makes your mind narrow, not clear."  Lao-Tzu  Huahujing

“If your purpose is to medicate dukkha,...then meditate. If your wish is bodhi,...practice absolute bodhicitta.”  a Chan  saying.

Hui Neng said that meditation is unnecessary, and warned that such practice can easily become a narcotic.   

"Free yourself from meditation, practice non-meditation" - Kyergangpa Chökyi Senge

"The practice of meditation is represented by the three monkeys, who cover their eyes, ears and mouths so as to avoid the phenomenal world. The practice of non-meditation is ceasing to be the see-er, hearer or speaker while eyes, ears and mouths are fulfilling their function in daily life."   - Wei Wu Wei  

"You don't need to meditate for hours and hours to attain inner peace.  You need only to see, feel, and act from the heart."  Kung Fu Panda

"Meditation is about repetition, whereas Non-meditation is observing something totally new in every moment. If you want to connect with the open, spacious quality of mind, at some point you have to stop trying to meditate."  Lama Willa B Miller

It’s interesting how much my experience contradicts what these quotes are saying. Meditation has been perhaps the single most effective technique on my path towards truth. It has actively transformed my mind in a multitude of ways and helped me cut through ignorance on multiple levels in addition to building levels of focus I had no idea were possible. 

Be careful not to become dogmatic. Recognize each individual’s path will be different and some techniques will be better suited than others depending on the persons mind structure, genetics, prior beliefs, experiences, etc. 

2 hours ago, Consilience said:

It’s interesting how much my experience contradicts what these quotes are saying. Meditation has been perhaps the single most effective technique on my path towards truth. It has actively transformed my mind in a multitude of ways and helped me cut through ignorance on multiple levels in addition to building levels of focus I had no idea were possible. 

Be careful not to become dogmatic. Recognize each individual’s path will be different and some techniques will be better suited than others depending on the persons mind structure, genetics, prior beliefs, experiences, etc. 

I don't think there's any contradictions here. At some point, meditation becomes a second-nature, and a baseline level of awareness. We may call that transcending meditation with meditation. But that probably happens after enlightenment, so it probably wouldn't make much sense before.

For you to kill the Buddha, you have to create him at first.

Edited by Lento

39 minutes ago, Lento said:

I don't think there's any contradictions here. At some point, meditation becomes a second-nature, and a baseline level of awareness. We may call that transcending meditation with meditation. But that probably happens after enlightenment, so it probably wouldn't make much sense before.

For you to kill the Buddha, you have to create him at first.

If  you look at some of the quotes, there is most certainly a contradiction.

8 hours ago, Consilience said:

If  you look at some of the quotes, there is most certainly a contradiction.

Maybe if you look closer, all contradictions disappear ?

On 12/15/2019 at 0:34 PM, Patrick Lynam said:

@Nak Khid  perhaps i could be argued that meditation could be destabilising therefore making it harder to be grounded? im not super affluent with all of these terms like stabilising and grounding I guess I have not had enough life experience to have a solid understanding 

I have heard of many stories of enlightened people/gurus who have serious physical ailments including cancer, because their body is not able to handle  the energy brought about by realization/s. This often happens when there is a sudden change on the level of mind but not in the physical body.  Heard of people who have started meditating, calmed their minds down, but kept the same amount of food as before. Result = diabetes. If your thinking reduces, your need for food also reduces. And you need to be aware of such subtleties. As long as you are alive, your body and mind are a single system and to exercise one without exercising the other is often dangerous. I believe your meditation facilitators might have this in mind when they asked you to stop meditating.

I'm sorry that you are going round and round. A video appeared on my computer with this guy just sitting in an armchair talking. (i fall asleep with youtube on and sometimes wake up to incredible things.) So I have no idea who this guy is and he's kind of going on and on but then about halfway through he said something really profound. Oh wow!

Turns out that the guy was somebody called, Neale Donald Walsh and he wrote some books called, "Conversations with God". Apparently he's been around awhile.  Whoaa. That's on Leo's list and Leo really, really liked it. 

So once again everything has changed.  The guy was pretty desperate and he begged God for some help, some explanation. The answer he got among a lot of other profound explanations was, "Neale, it's not all about you."

And Neale was like, "WHAT!" 

Maybe... maybe, maybe, maybe, this idea, that you are there for THEM and to try living it for an hour, just to see, might clear up all this situation you find yourself in. Maybe you are not so Blue as you are feeling. 

When I was very young I used to wonder if I was all alone and if everybody else were props in my illusion. Lucky for me that I finally grew up.

@Patrick Lynam only trust the voice on the inside. Be indifferent to all teachings until the guru confirms it in your heart. If you close your eyes and open your heart...become sensitive to the unction of the spirit and make this your sole compass...you will succeed. It is in this simplicity that God is found. It's like how a child makes decisions, they don't sit and analyse...they go with the feeling. Females tend to be good at this more than men I've noticed, however men can do it to. These are high truths bro

3 hours ago, Lento said:

Maybe if you look closer, all contradictions disappear ?

Maybe if you think the whole “you’re already enlightened.” “There’s no need to meditate” advice is solid, we simply disagree ;) Not everyone is at the same level or even on the same path. Giving advice like what the quotes pointed towards are realistically unhelpful for someone who could really benefit from meditation. If Id have listened to those quotes while beginning my journey, that would have set me way back. You gotta be more nuanced. 

I understand what you’re cute little winky face is pointing towards and I still think it’s bad advice. 

On 16/12/2019 at 7:27 AM, V-8 said:

"At the end of the day you're either a caterpillar or a butterfly, and the only way anyone will ever have even the slightest sense of what it means to be a butterfly is to become one. There are no butterfly experts among the caterpillars, despite innumerable claims to the contrary" - Jed McKenna

Butterflies don't meditate.

"Do you think you can clear your mind by sitting constantly in silent meditation? This makes your mind narrow, not clear."  Lao-Tzu  Huahujing

"The state of non-meditation is born in the heart...."  Jigme Lingpa

"meditation and religious teachings are all gentle deceptions meant to soothe the inner coward, not forge the inner hero."  Jed McKenna

Historically, Siddhartha Gautama was near dead from meditation when a young girl named Sujata (likely a dakini) offered him some food (perhaps rice cooked in milk). Some say a state of appreciation filled him from this meal, and others as he recovered his physical strength, through a state of appreciation, he realized the nature of Dependent Origination from which suffering arises.

As for LSD,...I've used it over 300 times and never had a "bad trip."   Perhaps LSD is not your "cup of tea."   Psilocybin was my food of choice,...but from what you wrote, I wouldn't recommend that for you.

Bad trips arise from Me Stories,...thus, the best thing you could do for yourself is find and let go of as many personal truths as you can.

Personal truths are always lies.

Conditions cannot enter the Unconditional,...although the medicated and the media-ted believe otherwise.

Don't seek truth,...in your condition that is futile.

"We need to draw our attention to what is false in us, for unless we learn to recognize the false as the false, there can be no lasting transformation, and you will always be drawn back into illusion, for that is how the false perpetuates itself"        Eckhart Tolle

"The real seeker of truth never seeks truth. On the contrary, she tries to clean herself of all that is untrue, inauthentic, insincere."  Chandra Mohan Jain

"What is false need not be remedied, it merely needs to be seen as false."  Wu Hsin 

un universoul 386245484354469888_n.jpg

There was so much wisdom in this post that it even made God question whether he was actually God.