Bryanbrax

Sam harris vs deepak chopra

17 posts in this topic

I think it's all mental masturbation. Intelligent mental masturbation but masturbation all the same. 

I don't like how Deepak Chopra gets all wishy washy about things rather than coming straight to the point. 

I don't like how Sam Harris has this huge condescending ego, an all knowing messiah attitude and how he always wants to win every discussion and make crass statements just to look appealing to the audience, more like a show than substance. 

I have gladly dumped both in the garbage bin. 

At least Deepak chopra offers some information on meditation, not that Sam Harris doesn't, it's only that Sam Harris has this business approach to everything as if meditation is like doing bench presses. How many you did today. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

*takes out popcorn* 

I feel like Deepak Chopra should go into entertainment buissness. The things he says are so funny.

Edited by Pramit

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

This is the full debate, near to two hours. The shorter video in the OP is near to the beginning here.
It was interesting to see Deepak Chopra getting angry.
It would make a good boxing match.

Check out 36:45, shortly after there is an edit. I wonder why

Edited by Nak Khid

Deepak ultimately is correct in the information he’s communicating, but I think he does a less than decent job in explaining what exactly he means. Not that there would be any way to effectively communicate the intricacies of true spirituality and what God really is in less than 2 hours to a stage blue/orange audience.  It took 4 years of rigorous study, contemplation, meditation and deep psychedelic experiences to get to the understanding that I have now.  Ultimately I don’t think you can understand these ideas unless you have a deep desire for truth. That is while you’ve been brainwashed by society to think materialistically the way we all have.  

Rationalists love to shit on Deepak, but ultimately he is right, regardless of the technical details of the arguments.

So the joke is on Sam.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Chopra doesn't even understand what he's saying. He's doing non-duality a disservice by applying to it to science in a haphazard way. Non-duality is not antagonistic to science. It can be incorporated. Chopra is just doing a bad job here.

@Raptorsin7 Like I said, the technical details are irrelevant.

You can get all the technical details right and still come up totally wrong. Or you can get the big picture right and screw up the technical details.

Chopra has the big picture right. And that's what needs to be understood.

Maybe he is doing a disservice to science, but science is doing a disservice to God, which is the far greater sin. Science basically understands nothing about consciousness, so to act as though science is this great thing which is being maligned is a joke. Science itself is the malignment of intelligence and Truth.

The hunter is the prey here. Sam Harris would not stand a chance in a serious discussion of nonduality.

13:48 - When talking about quantum mechanics and particles relying on an observer, the guy said "it doesn't apply to the macro world" 

First thing that popped up in my mind was, macro world vs micro world is utterly relative and is just a human distinction. Where is the cut of between macro and micro? The size of humans? How arbitrary.

Surprised Deepak didn't jump on that one immediately. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

@Leo Gura Science is trying to uncover truth. The entire audience is pretty much stage orange, rationalist. There's a way to present non-duality to these people in a way that doesn't sound like complete nonsense. Chopra just turned off that entire group, and pretty much everyone watching from non-duality. He is doing a disservice to the truth. Science is progressing. If i had to bet my life on science or religion to carry humanity forward I would bet my life on science 10/10 times. Science will get there. It just needs to be guided in the right direction. Chopra is doing the opposite of that.

Sam knows more than you give him credit for. He's not enlightened or anything but he is important conduit for stage orange rationalists to dabble in spirituality and meditation. Classifying him as ignoramus like you do is a disservice.  

Science will never get to Truth.

There is no way to state Truth without it pissing off everyone in the audience. The ego-mind does not want Truth.

The very notion that God is real will piss off all Orange people.

@Leo Gura No it doesn't have to necessarily. Orange people all have a similar conception of what god is. They assume so many things about god before you even bring it up. That's why you have to be careful when talking to them and teaching them. Orange people want to be happy, successful, and self actualized. If you phrase god in a way that targets those points then you can be successful. Chopra did none of this. But i see some of your point about Sam. He either doesn't understand non-duality or he doesn't respect it at all. Both of which aren't good. But Chopra is nonetheless being dumb here. 

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The very notion that God is real will piss off all Orange people.

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

everything is imaginary.

Everything is imaginary = God

@Leo Gura

23 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Raptorsin7 Like I said, the technical details are irrelevant.

You can get all the technical details right and still come up totally wrong. Or you can get the big picture right and screw up the technical details.

Chopra has the big picture right. And that's what needs to be understood.

Maybe he is doing a disservice to science, but science is doing a disservice to God, which is the far greater sin. Science basically understands nothing about consciousness, so to act as though science is this great thing which is being maligned is a joke. Science itself is the malignment of intelligence and Truth.

The hunter is the prey here. Sam Harris would not stand a chance in a serious discussion of nonduality.

On the one hand technical details don't matter in understanding the big picture, but on the other hand one needs a particular kind of precision in their investigation of consciousness.

When one does inquiry or contemplation, being precise is important in a very particular sense of the word. An analogy, to see clearly with your eyes at a higher resolution means you can resolve more detail at a smaller scale, which is analogous to precision. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.