Preety_India

My boyfriend thinks that the earth is flat

62 posts in this topic

@Raptorsin7 it means a non resident Indian national. 

An Indian who lives in other countries is referred to as an NRI

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Raptorsin7  thanks. Maybe I will some day. 

Right now loving my country too much 

4 hours ago, Preety_India said:

@Emerald  he tells me that the whole world is a lie and that everything we are taught is a conspiracy. He believes that everything is opposite of what is being taught in schools. 

When I argued and asked him about the image of earth and why its round, he said its CGI. 

He says that science is bullshit and anti - God. 

He gave me the example of baseball. And how another player can catch the flying ball. And he says that it's only possible if the earth is flat. 

Okay so there's two things that I pick up on.

Number one, he wants to believe that he is smarter than everyone else and one of the FEW people in the know. This serves to bolster up his self-esteem... which perhaps is somewhat low. So, he uses judgment of the "unconscious masses" that don't know better... to which he sees himself as an outlier and thus better than them.

Number two, he is a fundamentalist religious person. This allows a person absolute certainty in their beliefs because they were either

A) taught that way by the people they love and relate that worldview back to the people they love. Thus, making it difficult for them to let the belief go. OR

B) Uses the fundamentalist beliefs about the world and God to strengthen their identity which is oriented toward the ability to KNOW things about the world... thus using the religious beliefs to further strengthen their sense that they are right and others are wrong and proving himself once again to be one of the smart special people who is better than the unconscious masses. 

If I were to talk to him, I would avoid the topic of flat-Earth and religion and all that belief-oriented stuff... and I'd start asking him about how he feels about himself and his sense of self-worth... in a very gentle way. 

Edited by Emerald

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

@Anna1 he doesn't believe Nasa 

2 hours ago, Emerald said:

Okay so there's two things that I pick up on.

Number one, he wants to believe that he is smarter than everyone else and one of the FEW people in the know. This serves to bolster up his self-esteem... which perhaps is somewhat low. So, he uses judgment of the "unconscious masses" that don't know better... to which he sees himself as an outlier and thus better than them.

Number two, he is a fundamentalist religious person. This allows a person absolute certainty in their beliefs because they were either

A) taught that way by the people they love and relate that worldview back to the people they love. Thus, making it difficult for them to let the belief go. OR

B) Uses the fundamentalist beliefs about the world and God to strengthen their identity which is oriented toward the ability to KNOW things about the world... thus using the religious beliefs to further strengthen their sense that they are right and others are wrong and proving himself once again to be one of the smart special people who is better than the unconscious masses. 

If I were to talk to him, I would avoid the topic of flat-Earth and religion and all that belief-oriented stuff... and I'd start asking him about how he feels about himself and his sense of self-worth... in a very gentle way.

Good analysis!

I think there are other possibilities as well:

Number three, he has a rebellious nature and doesn't like to submit to an authority of any kind, so he adopts a lot of unconventional beliefs (@Preety_India you should find out).

Number four, he's in a transitional phase in his life, he has no solid identity, and he doesn't know what to believe. In which case, I would run away immediately if not before.

Edited by Lento

@Emerald @Lento

The analysis by Emerald is accurate. He is not only a deeply religious person but also wants to believe that he is smarter than others. 

Yep. He also has a rebellious streak in him. He never submits to authority. He likes his own thing. 

2 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Emerald @Lento

The analysis by Emerald is accurate. He is not only a deeply religious person but also wants to believe that he is smarter than others. 

Yep. He also has a rebellious streak in him. He never submits to authority. He likes his own thing.

Kinda weird to be religious and rebellious at the same time ?

I'm convinced that he's in a transitional phase.

When you see through the many lies the School System and Government tries to make you believe, why would you believe NASA or any other State Sponsored Agency... I think you should be happy that he is Questioning and not just Following. Agree to Disagree, Love and Grow. 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

Arguing and debating are tools of the Ego. You're triggered because you're world views don't align. Have you tried just letting it go?

How does his believing the world is flat affect how you live your life?

8 minutes ago, MNR Mackey said:

Arguing and debating are tools of the Ego. You're triggered because you're world views don't align. Have you tried just letting it go?

How does his believing the world is flat affect how you live your life?

I certainly doesn't affect how I live. But the fact that he believes something as strange as that made me question his intelligence and sanity. Those are necessary for proper decision making and survival.. 

I mean of course you don't want to end up with a loony tune. But he is not that much of a crazy. He just believes in certain conspiracies and stuff like that. He calls it "out of the box" thinking. He says he thinks for himself and nobody can teach him and he is proud of it. Well good for him. I admire his independence but I just want to be sure he is not too wacky wacky. 

I like his other qualities so might as well just nod my head in agreement with whatever he says. 

2 hours ago, Preety_India said:

might as well just nod my head in agreement with whatever he says. 

I couldn't do that. I bet when the "honeymoon phase" is over you won't be able to either. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 hahaha honeymoon. That was nice. xD

5 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Anna1 hahaha honeymoon. That was nice. xD

It's just a saying that means in the first 6 months to a year. The relationship is new and exciting, and you're infatuated, but after that the relationship typically changes, sometimes deepening in love and others seeing the others true colors and annoying tendencies.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Anna1 said:

It's just a saying that means in the first 6 months to a year. The relationship is new and exciting, and you're infatuated, but after that the relationship typically changes, sometimes deepening in love and others seeing the others true colors and annoying tendencies.

Very very true. Golden words. Your thoughts are always crystal clear. :x

Just now, Preety_India said:

Very very true. Golden words. Your thoughts are always crystal clear. :x

Thanks!?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Again, isn't anything outside direct experience, just concept and imagination? 

Who cares if the earth exists, is flat or an imperfect sphere? 

I bet the majority of people if put in a room with no internet access and just a piece of paper and a pen wouldn't be able to prove whether the earth is flat or a sphere. 

Proof here is very tricky. 

36 minutes ago, assx95 said:

Again, isn't anything outside direct experience, just concept and imagination? 

So, for example, because you can't see other planet's that means there aren't other planets? Because you can't see a nucleus of a cell, then it doesn't exist?

Sorry, but in the relative sense, some things have been scientifically proven and if someone wants to disprove science then the burden is on them to do so, not the other way around.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?