Lento

How do you deal with pain?

9 posts in this topic

Apparently, the topic of pain isn't much discussed in here, but I think it is very important because pain is inevitable.

I'm currently ill, nothing serious, but I feel really bad. I'm trying to remain conscious throughout the pain and I know that resistance creates more suffering, but I don't want to take it anymore. I can handle a lot of things/pressures really well, but pain is a different thing for me.

Any tips?

Aspects of pain came up for me during some deep yin yoga last night. . . . One thing I observed was categories I can create of "physical" and "emotional" pain and how the two are inter-related. As well, how feelings and thought stories are inter-related. For example, I have a chronic knee condition. During the yin yoga, physical pain appeared. This was simply a sensation occurring, yet then a thought story also appeared. Thoughts about how my knee isn't getting better, thoughts about how I can't do things I used to do, thoughts about how it's only going to get worse with age. Then, an emotional type of pain arose - a type of suffering. I just wanted it to be better. I wanted the pain gone. I wanted a better Now. Anxiety arose. New types of painful energy arose and the pains combined. More attention was placed on the physical pain, which intensified the thought story suffering flavor of pain. 

There were moments in which the physical pain got so intense that I couldn't imagine how there can be any other type of pain. A moment without this physical pain seemed like an oasis. 

One thing I've noticed through these pains is it can be challenging to be present Now. To simply observe, feel, experience and Be Now. Because the mind didn't want to be observing, feeling, experiencing and Being Now. There was a desire to move from Here to somewhere else. Yet I can never arrive to that somewhere else - which is a component of the pain mixture. 

21 hours ago, Lento said:

I know that resistance creates more suffering,

What exactly is the resistance which is creating more suffering?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Turn into the pain. Lean into it. It’s super counter intuitive but the more you can lean into the raw sensations of the actual pain rather than the mind’s interpretations of pain, the less suffering will arise.

But sometimes the best way to deal with pain is to remove whatever is causing it :) 

On 2019-12-13 at 7:19 PM, Lento said:

I feel really bad

On 2019-12-13 at 7:19 PM, Lento said:

I don't want to take it anymore.

How does these thoughts effect your experience with the pain?

What type of pain is it?

@Lento You can try several techniques in meditation. 

1) Become the pain, so be aware of the pain permeating your whole body. 

2) Localise the pain so be aware of the area of the pain. 

3) Focus on where the edges of the pain are located. Be aware of the edges dissolving. 

Edited by Surfingthewave

Either journalling through it, or by asking a simple question: "What part of me feels this pain? And what part of me wants to be free of this pain?" 

Or "What part of me is in pain, and what part of me is causing the suffering?" 

Sometimes you can pay intense attention to the quality of pain and write an essay on it. Like what is the shape or size of pain, what texture do you feel it has, what quality or type - like is it throbbing pain or piercing pain? etc. etc. 

@Lento Serotoninluv has a point there. When the sensation of pain is there, a big part of the components producing pain is actually conceptual. Notice that. For me personally, I can sometimes, for a slight second get rid of physical pain. It just disappears for that brief second. Don't know how to describe it yet, have no concrete explanation how I do it. All I know is that it's possible.

Oh and make sure you do take care of your health in general ways also!

Edited by karkaore