Maxman

OCD

6 posts in this topic

What videos of actualized.org have helped you deal with OCD? 

Those three helped me enormousely with my ocd.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

I don't know about specific videos. Bur for OCD (which is just a label for ruminating and compulsive behaviors), it's important to find out which emotions trigger these symptoms. Usually it's fear. The next step is asking yourself what you need whenever you are afraid and look for ways to feel secure again. 

Another important part is making a big effort to not indulge in compulsive behaviors. This is going to trigger your fears even more and you will probably feel the need to return to your coping strategies. That's why it's so important to find ways to be there for your emotions, and doing this with a therapist is usually very helpful. The reason why this works is because of how the OCD started in the first place: 

1) You feel something uncomfortable (usually some fear)

2) You start imagining bad things that could happen (not that you consciously choose these thoughts, they are just congruent with your emotion)

3) You do something to calm yourself (like counting, checking if you turned off the stove, etc.)

4) It calms you down in the short term

5) The next time you feel something uncomfortable you use this strategy because it calmed you and this reinforces the feeling and idea that something bad is going to happen and that you need to use compulsions so that it doesn't happen.

The solution is facing your fears, but in a gentle an progressive way and if you can find a therapist that can be by your side while doing this, I would strongly recommend you do it with him/her. This way, you slowly start to experience that you're safe and learn to calm yourself down without compulsive behaviors. 

I would also recommend checking out the Polyvagal Theory, because it explains how you can learn to calm your nervous system down by co-regulation from a person from which you sense clues of safety from. This is why it's so important to do this work with someone you intuitively feel calm with and who you feel can be present with your feelings without getting afraid.

Honestly? None @Maxman

Check out Mark Freeman's videos about ERP and ACT, that's your best bet for getting over this awful disorder.

Had it myself a few years back, don't even recognise the symptoms now, a little bit of anxiety here and there but nothing close to what is once was. 

On 13.1.2020 at 9:18 AM, Ry4n said:

Honestly? None @Maxman

Check out Mark Freeman's videos about ERP and ACT, that's your best bet for getting over this awful disorder.

Had it myself a few years back, don't even recognise the symptoms now, a little bit of anxiety here and there but nothing close to what is once was. 

How did you overcome OCD?

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!