Harikrishnan

Individual level things one can do to prevent climate change

7 posts in this topic

I was sleeping in train and had to wake up coz temperature getting high, its not normal my childhood days to have this much temperature in december. Climate is changing and i would like to know how on a individual level apart from planting trees what can one  do to stop from temperature soaring up

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

1. Simplest thing of all - carry a cloth bag to get groceries. 

2. Avoid buying things that come in plastic bottles. You will find this is almost impossible, but you can do, if you try. Buy bamboo toothbrushes instead of plastic ones. Use a neem twig to clean your teeth old-style instead of a toothpaste. 

3. Do not use face-washes or detergents with micro-beads in them. 

4. If you are getting your house designed or renovated, or even looking to buy a new one, try to get ones with good ventilation and sun, which will reduce the need for AC or heaters. 

5. Wear cotton and natural, Avoid Polyester. 

6. Eat only local and seasonal fruits and veggies. That's how you stop contributing to the mass refrigeration/transportation of these foods.

7. Don't use wooden pencils. Use paper ones.

8. Use newsprint recycled notebooks.

9. Don't buy stuff you don't actually need. 

10. When thinking of giving a gift to someone, gift a plant or some natural eco-friendly useful things, which will in turn let others know not to buy plastic crap or gift you either. 

11. Don't throw away vegetable organic waste in plastic bags. Use it to make compost and grow plants with them. 

12. Wash utensils with salt, lemon and ash.

13. Take the steps instead of the elevator.

14. Going to the grocer's 200 meters away? Walk or cycle instead of taking a car or scooter.

15. Buy recycled furniture or decor items.

These are tiny little things, and there are thousands more if you just look up on Google. It may not affect the climate directly, but it will definitely affect some people in your personal environment and looking at you, they may be inspired to do so. 

The most powerful thing you can do (aside from making small lifestyle changes) is get out there and join any protests and social movements that bring attention to climate change (Extintion Rebellion come to mind). 

I am all for making small changes in my lifestyle that is environmentally friendly. Personally I've given up meat, work from home as much as possible, and limit flying to only once a year. However, I know that its a fart in the wind compared to what really needs to happen. I have come to the realization that it is the system itself that needs to change. Those in power would like us to believe that small lifestyle changes will mitigate climate change substantially. This is a lie and a distraction from the systematic change that needs to take place. 

2 hours ago, rNOW said:

3. Do not use face-washes or detergents with micro-beads in them. 

I never thought of it. Thank you @rNOW @abundance for some good info.  Even though i was all in on  saving environment since a kid i never had a idea or knowledge there is so much i can do other than planting trees i never researched on it. Our schools never thought this seriously.  

Most of things mentioned here are hard but i will surely try to implement it slowly one by one.

Also can you please give me some resources to research so i can make a power point presentation for little kids.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

#1 Stop buying shit you don't need. And be honest, you don't need most of the shit you have. If you buy things, buy quality, especially with clothes.

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

1 hour ago, TheAlchemist said:

#1 Stop buying shit you don't need. And be honest, you don't need most of the shit you have. If you buy things, buy quality, especially with clothes.

Absolutely. 

To add on to this, learn how to fix things, and if you do have to buy, buy used when you can.

Demand minimal, or no packaging.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.