Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ivory

Any psychology researchers out there?

3 posts in this topic

It's been a long hard path deciding what I want to do for my next career. I've lost interest in computer programming but have a strong interest in psychology. I don't think I want to be a therapist but I think I would love doing research. I know that it comes with a set of challenges and it's not going to be all peaches and cream. But I can't think of anything else I want to do. There are numerous possibilities. Like, study the affects of meditation or psychedelics on mental health. Or maybe even challenge the status quo. In psychiatry there's a tendency to over prescribe when simple remedies or behavioral change might do the trick. I can think of a number of things that interest me. Is there anyone here that's been down this road? Right now I'm just gathering data to see if this is the path I really want to go down. I'd love to have your input.

Sounds interesting to me.  I've just started a 2 year psychology program and my absolute favorite part has been researching for a sociology paper.  

I'm also interested in doing research and maybe even creating some sort of research institute.   

Have you taken any psychology programs or other university courses?

What types of work have you done so far?  Or are you still in high school?

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Hey Matt, I've only been doing research into the career so far. I already have a bachelor's degree in computer science but I'm really sick of writing software for a living. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I need a second bachelor's degree in psychology before embarking on the journey towards a PhD. What did you like about the research that you did?