assx95

Career Advice needed: Is finance or Marketing low consciousness?

11 posts in this topic

I plan to pursue my MBA this year, i am looking at three possible specializations: 

1. Finance
2. Sales & Marketing
3. Operations Management. 

I have work ex in Marketing but I am interested in finance cause it involves a technical side to it. I don't want to have a job which is completely results dependent and then stress me out. (like Sales). I think all of the above are SD Orange. 

What career choices are atleast SD green, or better SD yellow ?

I would say mainly yes, it is low conscious. Profits usually come infront of the customers best interest, and usually pray on others lack of knowledge or access. Doesn't help those most in need. 

What's your main motivation for targeting those industries? Is it more towards passion, or towards earning easy money? Ask yourself, would you still go in those industries if it paid minimum wage? Why or why not?

It will depend on the company you are going to work for and sell your skills to.

IMO they are creatively dull, really hard to get fulfillment just crunching numbers, trying to meet quotas, trying to close a sale. Shoot higher, contemplate what brings you the most joy. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

What are you after? Is it money or an actual interest in the field? I don't necessarily think it is low consciousness but, I think a lot of low consciousness people are in the office. Its where workplace politics stems from. I would put your talents to use. Be conscious of whatever endeavour you undertake. We've had 60yrs of follow your passion nonsensical jargon and trillion dollars student debt mess which people can't afford. They are stuck with and can't declare bankruptcy on. 

All paths are work. Its lots of sacrifice. I am in the process of executing and its not easy. Nothing great comes easy. 

Good luck. 

I study financial economics, now at my 4th year of 5.  I've found that finance on a macro level can be very interesting and fulfilling as it forces you to include a lot of different variables such as peoples psychology, infrastructure, different cultures in addition to neoclassical economic theory. In that sense, you could say that the better you understand the world, the better financial decisions will you make, which in turn will improve the world. Finance on a macro level is also about taking resources and putting it where it can make the best use, so if you share that ultimate vision and gets inspired by that, I feel like that would qualify as a pretty conscious vision. 

Money from different perspectives:

Counselor/coach/teacher - help people manage their funds and help them grow their opportunities and achieve what they want to achieve

Manager - direct the money to stuff to promote it; make change happen; create opportunities

Engineer - Design/analysis with equations/variables/conditions of best ways to make the money work for the best outcome

Principal/lawyer/police - Make sure stuff adheres to code, budgets met

Inventor - new money systems, software, equations, needs, uses

Shhh, it's never about skills themselves but how you use them. Right now I plan to offer spiritual retreats help with their marketing/branding as my main business offer. Would you consider it low consciousness?

And you can't really do much in life without Sales & Marketing, it is like the air of achieving anything in the real world. Not sure why you have to demonize them, even monasteries/ashrams have to do sales/marketing to survive.

Edited by Hello from Russia

@assx95  You can take any field and make it low consciousness or high consciousness - you can chose to do with it how you want (to some degree).

You can take working in medicine to deliberately kill people just like you can take working at a jail to deliberately help people.  You can use finance to finance bombs and guns or use it to finance energy made with magnets, alien-like space craft, mind-bender movies, super cool architecture, affordable housing... you can kinda take money in whatever direction you want..

For "low consciousness vs high consciousness" consider what the phrases even mean - I came up with basically looking at the amount of thinking done, the amount of knowledge/insight/variables known and considered, the amount of perspectives taken on, and the impact of the work.

Congrats on making it to how far you have made it in school!  Good job!  Keep up the good work!

There's a lot of firms in the finance sector that focus on doing good. Mainly in sustainability focused investment, but also local banking and micro loans for communities in need. Also, basically any conscious organization that gets big and successful needs people to manage its finances, so it's only a matter of choosing your desired niche and making connection with people working in it, so they can introduce you to opportunities you want.