ThomasT

Years are relative

11 posts in this topic

Reflecting on leo's video about human knowledge always only spanning roughly three generations:

We only know it's 2019 because our parents told us so. And they only know because their parents told them.

I started to wonder where the initial counting of years and time started.

I had heard previously that our western calendar had gone through several modifications because of lag. 

So i decided to check out the different calendars and boy is there a lot. 

But what's so frightening about there being different calendars? Well, doing this work is questioning our pre-existing ground that we stand on to understand reality, right?

And realising that different calendars count years differently, and therefore years being relative and that there is nothing special about the number 2019. It sure does chip away at the solidity of reality.

We're not in year 2019, that's a projection. There cannot be years. 

So where in the "timeline" does that leave us? WHEN are we? I am not sure. But from what psychedelics have shown me, and of course all the theory,  there is nothing but the present. It's just really hard to grasp and swallow fully.

The illusion of time and timeline is a stubborn one. 

Here is the link to different calendar years:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module:Year_in_various_calendars

It's like I'm floating between time. Not knowing when i am. And boy does it feel weird and weirdly good. It feels true also. 

The groundless ground of time.

By extension this means age (in years, or measured) is also relative. I (ego) am not absolutely 20 years old. 

This is the first time i have properly contemplated and researched something simple like calendar years and really discovered something for myself. 

Please share your thoughts on this

I have thoughts on this but none of them really useful. Nice investigational spirit tho you inspire me! 

Sailing on the ceiling 

Years are a map, not the territory. 

12 hours ago, ThomasT said:

The illusion of time and timeline is a stubborn one. 

Yes, but oh so fascinating. . . 

12 hours ago, ThomasT said:

It's like I'm floating between time. Not knowing when i am. And boy does it feel weird and weirdly good. It feels true also. 

Ooohhh yea. . . 

No only are days, weeks, months, and years relative, time itself is an invented notion. At one point in your life you had to invent the notion of "time". Before that, time did not exist for you.

Of course as Einstein's relativity shows, even at the physical level, there is no such thing as time. In fact, physics cannot define what time is other than in terms of velocity, which is a circular definition (as all physics definitions are).

Which is why time seems to fly when you're not thinking about it, and seems to crawl when you're wishing it would go faster. You are imagining time.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Leo Gura If you have the time, a video on time would be amazing. 

This would be a super interesting video indeed. Would imagine it being similar to the Quantum Mechanics, Derrida, Incompleteness Theorem episodes.  

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

because we move.

although the most accurate/rythmical measurement of time is decay.
we live on different time levels even. you can perceive most of them. but who knows how many we cannot, because they are outside of what’s measurable...

...and it all happens in an infinite moment.

Edited by remember

9 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

If you have the time

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

there is no such thing as time

:D

9 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Leo Gura If you have the time, a video on time would be amazing. 

Yes! I´d love that too!

Everything is made up, all symbols that we place on reality to communicate are made up and thus realitve.

Edited by Jahmaine
Typo