Dlavjr

Good alternatives for wheat and dairy

35 posts in this topic

I've begun cleaning up my diet, as suggested by Leo I'm cutting out wheat and dairy. Dairy isn't so hard as I already drink almond milk and don't care for much desserts, but wheat is proving to be a tough one, as I often rely on sandwiches as quick and ready food. What's available for healthy alternatives to bread? Also, is vegan cheese recommended or is it not really much better? 

Look into starchy and fibrous vegetables. The starchy, complex veggies will give you more calories, energy, while providing nutrients and the fibrous will give you fiber, nutrients, but relatively lower calories.

Then then there are simple sugars, you want to try to eliminate these (all processed forms) But fruits can give you quick energy, in the form of fructose, but they don't spike your blood sugar as rapidly as processed simple sugars and many contain all sorts of vitamins/minerals/phytochemicals. 

Check out this article for a basic guide:

https://www.swimming.org/justswim/beginner-guide-carbs/

If you want to keep sandwiches, look into Ezekiel bread. Its made from grains which have sprouted before being milled into flour. And it tastes delicious. A good complex carb source in your diet, keeping the convenience of sandwiches. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

Quinoa, buckwheat spirulina Vegges, rye bread, more greens, fruits, consume less meals, look into meal prep for at least part of the week 

Would it be better to have more filling foods before bed, lighter foods or is it better to just not eat at all? I often find myself pressed for time. I'll try to make a habit of meal prepping on weekends for the week but I tend to prefer the taste of freshly made food. I typically only have 3 meals a day with fruits and nuts holding me off in between. 

3 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

@TrynaBeTurquoise What starchy veggie can give more calories than bread ? 

Beans and Legumes are the most calorie dense, but they are packed with nutrients, making them a good option if you are active and you aren't over eating for you energy demands. Potatoes/Sweet Potatoes/Squash are slightly less calorie dense than bread but are good options for energy. Oats are a great carb source as well.

Edited by TrynaBeTurquoise

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

Try chia seeds, quinoa, more avocado, less sugar more vegetables, Also, avoid eating fruits plus do not forget about sport.

Vegan cheese is probably not a good choice for a food staple. Rice isn't a bad choice if you are able to warm food up. I switch between jasmine rice and wild rice. Cleaning up your diet can be a process, the most healthy foods take a lot of time to prepare so it's good to strategically make small changes to avoid overwhelming ourselves. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

A package of fresh dates. It gives you the energy you need in a healthy way and it's compact and very quick if you can find some. That's how I do it.

Easy: you can make nice meals out of canned corn, just take that corn and mix it into a bowl with whatever you would put onto your sandwich. It gives you a little better nutritional value than bread while it isn't that dry, just carry around some cans of corn and store the additives in some other container. You can also mix in some olives. Corn benefits from being canned as that's the only way you can store it without having to pre-boil it, as when corn ripens it turns the sugars into starch, but canned corn is fresh and delicious! No gluten, raw & more fiber! Aim for highest quality corn, but I think ordinary canned corn is still a better replacement for wheat

Semolina/ Sooji or Rava as it is called, is a form of wheat that is very healthy compared to regular wheat or refined wheat flour. It is also lighter on the stomach and digests easily, doesn't raise blood sugar. If you look up Indian cuisine, there are tons of dishes made from it. 

Are you a vegan or have given up dairy? Fresh homemade curd and/or ghee are valuable to health. Just not the processed store bought ones. 

On 12/11/2019 at 10:14 AM, rNOW said:

Are you a vegan or have given up dairy? Fresh homemade curd and/or ghee are valuable to health. Just not the processed store bought ones. 

I'm not vegan but I'm open to protein alternatives to meat when I can get them if anybody has any suggestions

Dairy is not the problem. The problem is pasteurization which eliminates lactase, the enzime that digests lactose. Also cow recieve lot of antibiotics and hormones. If you find grass pastured raw milk is one of the healthiest foods in the world. Fantastic.

I cant find raw organic milk, but changed commercial dairy to fresh goat cheese and organic goat yoghurt. Zero issues, I feel excellent.

amaranth, oats, buckwheat, quinoa, millet, corn, beans, lentils, legumes ect...

nuts, seeds and or their milks, ferments, ect...

B R E A T H E

I make sandwiches and burgers using lettuce leaves instead of bread. It works quite well. Just use double or triple layers of large round leaves.

You can also find wheat-free warps.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Dlavjr Do you like sushi? That would be a quite convenient and handy wheat-free alternative to grab for a quick lunch.

Another healthy and ready option could be tacos. They should normally offer "corn-based" tortillas/tacos/burritos. You can look up their "gluten-free menus" on line in advance.

Another great nutritious alternative are the increasingly popular "Buddha Bowls" with healthy whole grains such as quinoa or brown rice, plant proteins such as chickpeas or tofu, and vegetables...

There are also creperies where the savoury pancakes are made with buckwheat (wheat-free) flour.

Looks like everyone's already added all the other main wheat alternatives. :)

I'll just add Spelt, you can usually find sliced "spelt bread" in most places and make your own sandwhich, if you can't find a ready-made "spelt" one.

Edited by Amandine

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I make sandwiches and burgers using lettuce leaves instead of bread. It works quite well. Just use double or triple layers of large round leaves.

@Leo Gura "Japanese wraps"  are great too using nori seeweed sheets.

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

On 06/12/2019 at 4:00 AM, Dlavjr said:

Would it be better to have more filling foods before bed, lighter foods or is it better to just not eat at all? 

@Dlavjr Why before bed? Is it because you get home late? And you haven't got much time for "cooking up something"? What about a nutritious soup? "Amys Kitchen" offer organic ones with with slow carbs like lentils, etc Otherwise another quickie is to pop a potato in the microwave and have a hot baked potato with some grass-fed butter (or dribble of olive oil), sea salt and black pepper on.

As for "filling foods or lighter foods or not eating at all", surely that's only for you to answer, depending on your hunger levels? Of course, it's better to eat lighter than heavier before going to bed (to sleep better and avoid weird dreams, apart from anything else, lol!). And as for "not eating at all", as long as you're not depriving your body of essential nutriments by "going without" due to "pressures of time".

Edited by Amandine

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

What do you put inside those lettuce leaves?

Edited by bazera

@Dlavjr depending on where you live...

there are several grains and pseudo grains you could use, you can make bread of coconut farina or make it of lentils or peas - there is no limit. if you would want to make it yourself you could buy an automatic breadmaking machine. also there are several pasta types of lentils beetroot or maybe in the asian section soba (buckwheat)  noodles (at least where i live). i also like onigiris. and i guess you could make some kind of pumpkin pankakes or so. (although it`s more preparation in advance and i own a rice cooker i also read that some people bake bread in their asian rice cooker)

taking up the salad example... use big mushrooms, kohlrabi, pumpkin or paprika halves. but in general if it is not about the form just make yourself buddha bowls - again a rice cooker is really nice you can also prepare other grains and pseudo grains in it.

Edited by remember