Cocolove

College: Soka University of America

3 posts in this topic

The decisions for acceptance are supposed to come out soon, so I've been thinking about going here for undergraduate. In many ways, it seems way better than other schools. It emphasizes a global perspective, environmentalism, and changing the world. Life purpose is something people here are interested in, way more so than the average state school. It is insanely affordable, around a third to half the price of some other schools I like. I wouldn't go into debt. Study abroad is part of the tuition, and everyone does it. Highly rated academics, super small classes, great curriculum. It was founded by Buddhists but is non-sectarian. 

However, there are criticisms, many claim religious discrimination takes place against non SGI buddhists, and it's hard for me to tell if these criticisms are accurate. 

https://ocweekly.com/soka-university-of-america-is-a-school-on-a-hill-6416780/  Like these

As far as I can tell, it is stage green and up. They even have almost all of Ken Wilber's books in their library. The most I've seen at other colleges is one. The atmosphere just seems above the downsides of modern american universities, overall. But the claims of religious discrimination and of buddhist cult stuff accuses it of being stage blue. It seems like just a bad reaction. They are less tied to their buddhist religous roots than most christian founded universities. 

Of course, I'm not sure if anyone will have a good answer, since it might take a bunch of research. But from what I've said and stuff, What do you think?

Thanks!

Bump

I got accepted. Which is cool, since 25% do with the early action option. Would really appreciate some perspectives as this is a big life decision.

I did not do much research, just looked at your link, so don’t take my perspective to seriously.

The source against the university seems to be low quality and judging from below. First impression is that it is indeed green and above ??‍♂️

Realizeyourgrowth.com