Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SunnyNewDay

Sleep disturbed after bad psychedelic trip

6 posts in this topic

I had an incredibly scary trip over the summer which really affected me. I've recovered a ton and am doing much better but I'm experiencing some problems with sleep now.

I've worked a lot with a transpersonal type therapist to help integrate it which has helped a ton. A lot of irrational worrying went away and a ton of clarity /wholeness/peace has returned since which I'm really grateful for. My days are mostly positive and getting more productive. About a month ago I got off some meds cause I was feeling pretty good and grounded. They sort of numbed me a bit so I wanted to see if I was strong enough without them since I was doing better. One of them helped with sleeping but left me feeling a bit like a zombie in the morning. 

Anyways I have some anxiety when it comes to going to bed. I will lie down and start to get sleepy but then have this sort of fear/tension in my body arise and as I get drowsier it sort of jolts me awake. Another scary thing is I get closed eye visuals. They have gotten incredibly vivid at times such as patterns, flowers art, etc  and a couple times when I was feeling scared all sorts of scary faces formed in them... I didn't like that at all. Most of the time they are usually just a sense of depth and flutry lights like if you look at a light and close your eyes. My thoughts will feel "louder" as well sometimes and I'll just be jumpy from my sensory/thought experience being kinda wacky and feeling sort of "spacy." It's scary and it used to only happen occasionally at night when I'd feel tension building up but it's been happening more often recently and after a few scary experiences when going to bed I'm sort of anxious at bed time now cauae of this. I think that only adds to it. On nights I feel calm this stuff is less present and not an issue. My sleep schedule is skewed and I'm now going to sleep early in the morning and sleeping most of the day.

Has anyone experienced this before? How did you treat it?

Edited by SunnyNewDay

4 hours ago, SunnyNewDay said:

I had an incredibly scary trip over the summer which really affected me. I've recovered a ton and am doing much better but I'm experiencing some problems with sleep now.

what happened

You're suffering anxiety. 

Since how many days have you been having this sleep problem? 

Sleep issues will need extensive amount of time to heal. 

I'd not suggest psychedelic use in the future if your trips are bad. 

Avoid caffeine, coffee, alcohol, and wait for a couple of days to weeks. Exercise. 

Sometimes such incidents resolve on their own. 

Your brain is sensitive to chemicals. Don't attempt them in the future. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I have auditory hallucinations and sleep disturbances. These are some things that have helped me: 1) Create a consistent sleep schedule. 2) Make your room dark, 3) Exercise a couple hours before going to bed 4) a non-addictive sleep aid like melatonin or valarian before bed, 5) something relaxing like meditation or restorative yoga prior to bed, 6) No screen time an hour before bed., 7) change my relationship with the hallucinations, such that they are no longer bothersome (EMDR can help), 8) stop engaging and reinforcing the story 9) let go of the attachment to what I think was the cause.

10 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I have auditory hallucinations and sleep disturbances. These are some things that have helped me: 1) Create a consistent sleep schedule. 2) Make your room dark, 3) Exercise a couple hours before going to be, 4) a sleep aid like melatonin or valarian before bed, 5) something relaxing like meditation or restorative yoga prior to bed, 6) No screen time an hour before going to bed., 7) change your relationship with the hallucinations, such that they are no longer bothersome (EMDR may help), 8) stop engaging and reinforcing the story 9) let go of the ocd with the cause (a bad psychedelic trip that happened months ago).

These are really good. Thank you. 9_9:)

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

8 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

I have auditory hallucinations and sleep disturbances. These are some things that have helped me: 1) Create a consistent sleep schedule. 2) Make your room dark, 3) Exercise a couple hours before going to bed 4) a non-addictive sleep aid like melatonin or valarian before bed, 5) something relaxing like meditation or restorative yoga prior to bed, 6) No screen time an hour before bed., 7) change my relationship with the hallucinations, such that they are no longer bothersome (EMDR can help), 8) stop engaging and reinforcing the story 9) let go of the attachment to what I think was the cause.

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I woke up just now having slept for about 2.5 hours and I felt I was back in a psychedelic trip with the visuals and altered consciousness. It is visually beautiful and an interesting experience but I would prefer to keep this when only taking a substance or doing a meditation retreat. It's uncomfortable integrating a daily nightly trip that briefly lasts.