WisdomSeeker

Strong Inverse Correlation Between Physical Beauty and Levels of Consciousness?

39 posts in this topic

From my observation there seems to be a strong correlation between the more physically beautiful a person is and the lower level of consciousness they are at.  I believe beauty is subjective, but clearly there are characteristics of beauty that our society holds. Think Miss Universe beauty, celebrity beauty, etc. 
My hypothesis is that this is because most beautiful people spend a lot of time on their external characteristics, such as makeup, attire, fitness, food, etc. This comes at the expense of exploring deeper facets of life such as spirituality and even intellectual. I don't think this is necessarily a profound observation, but are other people seeing this, as well?  Thoughts?

Edited by WisdomSeeker
missing word

I think it’s more about conditioning and distraction. A scientist that spends all his time trying to get grant money and prove his theory will likely remain contracted in their reality.

2 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

No objective reality, self biased :ph34r:

Can you elaborate? Obviously, the statement made is fair game to be labeled self-bias, but I'd like some back and forth to become more aware of my own biases.  Hence the reason I posed it. :)

4 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I think it’s more about conditioning and distraction. A scientist that spends all his time trying to get grant money and prove his theory will likely remain contracted in their reality.

In other words, this scientist will engage in confirmation bias? And to your first point conditioning and distraction on who's part? Mine or the people I have observed?

4 minutes ago, WisdomSeeker said:

Can you elaborate? Obviously, the statement made is fair game to be labeled self-bias, but I'd like some back and forth to become more aware of my own biases.  Hence the reason I posed it. :)

I think @DrewNows just called you ugly ?

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

It could backfire. Those too obsessed with "beauty" could go too far (eg. plastic surgery, anorexia, excessive credit card spending, etc.). Then, afterwards, they're exhausted and forced to see themselves within automatically. They learned their lesson the hard way.

@WisdomSeeker Not confirmation bias. Conditioning and distraction of playing a character in a movie. “I am a scientist. I need to get the workers in my lab to generate data, publish results and  grant money to keep my lab going”. This is just one dynamic of a character story. . . . It’s not me or other people. It’s all of the characters in the movie. One day the scientist or beauty queen may have a moment of awakening and realize “wait a second. I’m just playing a character. Oh my god. . . “

1 minute ago, Serotoninluv said:

@WisdomSeeker Not confirmation bias. Conditioning and distraction of playing a character in a movie. “I am a scientist. I need to get the workers in my lab to generate data, publish results and  grant money to keep my lab going”. This is just one dynamic of the character story. . . . It’s not me or other people. It’s all of the characters in the movie. One day the scientist or beauty queen may have a moment of awakening and realize “wait a second. I’m just playing a character. Oh my god. . . “

Got it, I see where you are going with this.  Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

It could backfire. Those too obsessed with "beauty" could go too far (eg. plastic surgery, anorexia, excessive credit card spending, etc.). Then, afterwards, they're exhausted and forced to see themselves within automatically. They learned their lesson the hard way.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether it's the area I live in, in combination with the circles I'm in, but this seems to be the norm.  For both men and women. Women as you described, men going too far (gym rats, steroids, plastic surgery, fitness vs real health, expensive attire, etc.).

I think that conscious women are the most beautiful, because they are aware of the fact that what makes them inherently beautiful also makes them feel really good, or vice versa. You wouldn't eat unhealthy food if you were conscious of how it affects you while you strive to feel as good as possible, aka as conscious as possible - to a certain point

Edited by Igor82

18 minutes ago, WisdomSeeker said:

LMFAO. Touche. Not the first time!

Haha you're a good sport :) !

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

10 minutes ago, Igor82 said:

I think that conscious women are the most beautiful, because they are aware of the fact that what makes them inherently beautiful also makes them feel really good, or vice versa. You wouldn't eat unhealthy food if you were conscious of how it affects you while you strive to feel as good as possible, aka as conscious as possible - to a certain point

@Igor82 Agreed. I will say this though, in American society there seems to be little differentiation established between fitness and health.  I go to the gym and hear people talking about eating healthy, when in reality they're downing protein powders laced with chemicals and heavy metals.  I can't help but think to myself, that's not healthy that's eating for fitness which are two separate things. I see the same thing with many people who live a vegan lifestyle for health reasons not ethical ones, and yet, half their meals are heavily processed tofu. It's all very interesting to me. I can't help, but think there's a little bit of self-deception in their motivations.  

Edited by WisdomSeeker

23 minutes ago, WisdomSeeker said:

Unfortunately, I don't know whether it's the area I live in, in combination with the circles I'm in, but this seems to be the norm.  For both men and women. Women as you described, men going too far (gym rats, steroids, plastic surgery, fitness vs real health, expensive attire, etc.).

The irony is, for instance, if you give a public speech on something important, everyone will try to understand what you are saying. Your appearance will not count as much. All you need to do is to dress professionally and learn a few manners. Most ppl will not bother about your fitness or you being the most "beautiful." Your appearance is not the most important topic in most cases.

8 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

The irony is, for instance, if you give a public speech on something important, everyone will try to understand what you are saying. Your appearance will not count as much. All you need to do is to dress professionally and learn a few manners. Most ppl will not bother about your fitness or you being the most "beautiful." Your appearance is not the most important topic in most cases.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this.  For example, the halo effect of beautiful people seems very real in the Information Technology consulting industry. Leo's take on highly paid lower-conscious industries and jobs is spot on in his video "Wage Slavery".   Almost all of the salesman have a specific look. Tall, handsome well put together. Think "Mad Men". They know little technologically about the products they are selling, use buzzwords and high-level explanations and usually walk around with technical architects that delve deeper into the  technology.  Image and soft-skills in this case is much more valuable than anything else, even the quality or knowledge of what they are selling.   

20 minutes ago, Etherial Cat said:

xDxDxDxDxD

LMAO!

You folks are so funny :x

(And I'm indirectly funny because you guys are me ;).)

hahahaha. You know come to think of it, Leo has talked about the importance of humor in this journey. I really think it's a neglected facet., I don't see enough of it in these forums. I think a sub thread should be created for people  looking to express humor on this spiritual journey. I might suggest that to Leo. :)

I think charisma / looks can be a factor to various degrees depending on context. Not just physical appearance, yet also how the person carries themself. At my work, we are conducting a job search for a science teacher and each candidate has to give a seminar. On appearance, one candidate was unattractive, introverted and dull. She was very knowledgeable and gave a good talk on content and tried to connect with others - yet just didn’t resonate well with people. Another candidate was a marathon runner in super physical shape. Attractive with vitality. She was outgoing , engaging and positive. It was contagious. People just wanted to be around her. He also gave a good seminar. It was difficult to compare the two just on content and filter out the attractiveness. Two people can give the same seminar on content, yet have very different impact on an audience depending on attractiveness. Here attractiveness includes, yet is not limited, to physical looks. It also includes charisma.

6 hours ago, WisdomSeeker said:

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this.  For example, the halo effect of beautiful people seems very real in the Information Technology consulting industry. Leo's take on highly paid lower-conscious industries and jobs is spot on in his video "Wage Slavery".   Almost all of the salesman have a specific look. Tall, handsome well put together. Think "Mad Men". They know little technologically about the products they are selling, use buzzwords and high-level explanations and usually walk around with technical architects that delve deeper into the  technology.  Image and soft-skills in this case is much more valuable than anything else, even the quality or knowledge of what they are selling.   

Yes, you're probably right, but it's temporary over time. However, I'm not talking about them. If you actually want to make something of yourself, other than being focused on your appearance, it will be a different story. The individual and the society can only go so far in terms of appearance. Those ppl running small businesses are a different group of ppl. Founders of companies, large and small, are a different group of ppl. Yes, they do interconnect. Appearance is never the cutting edge. It gets outdated. They are shooting stars. Each generation will have a different style. Unless, of course, the government is a dictatorship. Then, it's hard to change the style. But, even under those types of government, the young ppl rebel. They come up with their own style, or they copy the style of more "advanced" countries. Or, :), they mix both and come up with their own style. But, it's never stable or long lasting. It's putting a bandage on a much bigger wound.

Heard of M&As? In the dot.com era in Silicon Valley, there used to be this popular company called Nortel. It didn't work. Some other company bought it. Why? They were all about style and no substance.

Style or substance? :o

They picked style. However, how many ppl do you see driving a Toyota? Almost everyone. Over the generations too. Of course, it's a lot deeper than this.