DMM710

What are some good places/practices to push your comfort zone?

27 posts in this topic

List so far:

Say hello to random people

Hold eye contact for longer than is comfortable

Make other people break eye contact first

Start small talk with cashiers

I'd be interested to hear from people who have gone through this, and what it was like.

Depends what your confort zone is. Only you know. Highly individualized process.

Sailing on the ceiling 

Whenever you go grab a coffee or something ask for 10% off and be absolutely serious about it. Tim Ferris mentioned doing this religiously when he was on the Gary V podcast.

Change the temperature of the room 

Change the temperature of the water under the shower 

Pick the longer way to get somewhere

Fast once a while 

Try the food you hate

Stand closer than usual to people in one to one conversations

Climb stairs two at once 

Edited by Elham

12 hours ago, 5thPablo said:

Whenever you go grab a coffee or something ask for 10% off and be absolutely serious about it. Tim Ferris mentioned doing this religiously when he was on the Gary V podcast.

11 hours ago, 5thPablo said:

Also, don’t just say hi to strangers, high-five them! :D

Yes! This is the kind of thing I’m looking for. Thank you! 

10 hours ago, Joshi3 said:

Why not make it a challenge to ask out 5 girls or guys a day. regardless if you want to get with them just secure their number. I feel like that would break anyone's comfort zone.

Yea I’m gonna work up to that eventually. That’s kind of the end goal. Today I just stopped a few random girls and asked them a stupid question about a water bottle filling station on campus. One of those times was 2 girls walking together which was fuckin scary. 

Oh another one I’ve done a few times is pointing at a person driving in the opposite direction. Their reaction is usually pretty amusing.

Also I don’t really know what to say to cashiers tbh. I usually just say “how’s your day goin?” Which gets “good how’s yours” and I’ll say some random thing on my mind or whatever. Is there a more open ended question I can ask them?

Edited by DMM710

I like this thread.

- Take your grandma to the cinema

- Visit a place close to your home you've never been before

Go in front of an audience and give a speech. How?

- Do your life purpose; make it marketable so the general population can relate. Think of how you are going incorporate high conscious stuff in this.

- Make business cards; make a LinkedIn account.

- Go to a business (self-employment) meetup group & give a speech on what you just did.

- Think of pitching in a startup group. Be careful on this one. Sometimes they record you on T.V.

I think this solves so many issues in life and takes you way out of your comfort zone. I heard only 10% of the ppl in the world do this. This percentage gets lower if your life purpose embodies higher conscious stuff. Your LP could be in layers, like layers in a pyramid. For example, it could go from orange to turquoise. Orange ppl will relate to the healthy orange stuff in your LP, and maybe they'll notice healthy green stuff. But, very few will ever come up to you and address the yellow and turquoise stuff.

Travel without money

Dress up as someone from the opposite sex and go to a place with people you know

After earning some cash you needed, give it away 

Get into some public speaking/debate club and start defending outrageous topics

Take the train/bus/hitchhike far away from home and walk back non-stop

Traveling can be a great way to stretch one's comfort zone. For example, one could travel and live with another culture. 

In general, spending time with someone that has a very different life history and perspective than I do. 

Pushing comfort zones is about expanding your sense of self

finding a healthy way to express anger/negative emotions. Some people are geared toward only allowing the positive emotions and suppressing the negative despite how they might actually feel. 

Examples:

If you're really having a bad day, when someone asks, share your honest feelings. 

If you really hate yourself right now, admit it to someone, transform the anger into compassion

When someone tries to tell you how you should feel, maybe even about yourself, if this triggers you, express how and why it triggers you and communicate boundaries 

On 28.11.2019 at 7:10 AM, Key Elements said:

Go in front of an audience and give a speech. How?

- Do your life purpose; make it marketable so the general population can relate. Think of how you are going incorporate high conscious stuff in this.

- Make business cards; make a LinkedIn account.

- Go to a business (self-employment) meetup group & give a speech on what you just did.

- Think of pitching in a startup group. Be careful on this one. Sometimes they record you on T.V.

I think this solves so many issues in life and takes you way out of your comfort zone. I heard only 10% of the ppl in the world do this. This percentage gets lower if your life purpose embodies higher conscious stuff. Your LP could be in layers, like layers in a pyramid. For example, it could go from orange to turquoise. Orange ppl will relate to the healthy orange stuff in your LP, and maybe they'll notice healthy green stuff. But, very few will ever come up to you and address the yellow and turquoise stuff.

I dont quite understand. You mean when giving a speech about your project that has some yellow or turquoise stuff in it, people tend to ignore it? I guess because they cant really relate to it?

3 hours ago, universe said:

I dont quite understand. You mean when giving a speech about your project that has some yellow or turquoise stuff in it, people tend to ignore it? I guess because they cant really relate to it?

Yup, that's right. See, we still have to make a living. But, most of us don't want to settle for just any job. So, we go for our life purpose so we could enjoy doing what we love.

Where do we give speeches like this? Business groups. Startup groups and self-employment groups (mom&pop businesses groups).

I can't just give a speech on what I've experienced in terms of spirituality and non-duality. Most ppl will not go for that. They want their basic needs met. So, I give a speech on me doing bilingual education as a bilingual teacher. Everyone can relate to that. Later on, I will introduce spirituality/non-duality in two languages as part of my life purpose/business. But, not in the form of speech. I also do bilingual art. In fact, I love canvas painting. But, that is hard to sell and market, unless you become famous, high end, or both.

I never gave a speech on non-duality. I know ppl in society in general can't relate to it.

My life purpose is in layers:

-Bilingual education being the foundation.

-Bilingual art being in the middle.

-Spirituality/non-duality at the top of the pyramid (Maslow's).

Ppl in general normally understand the first two. They love the second one when I speak about it. Hey, tell you something. On Black Friday, I saw beautiful paintings of the Polar Express being sold at a mall. Most ppl are not buying them. They range from a few hundreds to a few thousands of dollars. It depends on how big the painting is too. Most ppl just bought the cheaper toys in the store.