ttom

Thank God for insanity.

54 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, onacloudynight said:

Let me ask you this. If you were kidnapped and there was no chance of escape and the people there desired to cut off your limbs one by one. Why not enjoy it? Take pleasure in their pleasure as they are enjoying cutting your limbs off. The alternative is to suffer through it.

You would probably pass out from the shock first :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

7 minutes ago, bejapuskas said:

@Serotoninluv I've had these periods of feeling like I am going insane but I was able to let go and transcend that and my friends who are also searching have been telling me something similar... Is there something deeper, more dangerous perhaps?

For a lot of people, this type of transcendence can be like losing one's mind. It can feel groundless and scary. Things like no-self and no free will, can be intriguing and engaging to discuss on internet forums. Yet the actual direct experience can be scary. This can take various forms and have various degrees of intensity. For some people it can be relatively intense, for others not so much. For some, it seems more like depression or existential angst. 

Similar to what you say, I've had moments that felt like I was losing my mind and I let go and it became ok. There can be other dynamics as well. I'm fine talking about it with people that are working through insanity because they are in it. I volunteered in a psychiatric hospital for years. I would sit and talk with patients. Actually, I mostly listened to them without any judgement. Just with acceptance and love. . . Yet discussions that are speculative are counter-productive. People create all sorts of stories in their heads. "Oh my gosh!! I thought I was doing ok on the spiritual path, yet I didn't know about the demons I read about on a forum that I will need to face. This is awful, I don't know if I can handle it". Human minds will make up all sorts of stories. They reach for the blissful stories and push away the scary stories. . . There is no good in planting a scary story seed in someones mind. 

I wouldn't worry about a deeper form of scary that may arise. That creates LOA energy. If it does, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Whatever appears, appears. 

4 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

This is true.

4 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

That's most likely true for the average person but what if one was truly enlightened?

29 minutes ago, onacloudynight said:

Let me ask you this. If you were kidnapped and there was no chance of escape and the people there desired to cut off your limbs one by one. Why not enjoy it? Take pleasure in their pleasure as they are enjoying cutting your limbs off. The alternative is to suffer through it.

This is a theoretical abstraction in your mind. You don't have direct experience or empathic understanding. Your empathic abilities are not strong enough to do it indirectly, so you would need to actually go through the insanity and torture yourself. . . Yet I would never advise someone to do this, since it is very traumatizing to the mind and body. 

To me, intellectualizing this is a form of mental masturbation with little benefit. The deeper understanding is through direct experience. Yet it is not the type of direct experience someone volunteers for. It just happens. 

10 minutes ago, onacloudynight said:

This is true.

It's also counterintuitive to survival to "enjoy" one's mutilation and dismemberment, regardless of there stage of awakening.

6 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

That's most likely true for the average person but what if one was truly enlightened?

Doesn't matter, blood loss at a rapid rate and/or intense pain will cause shock and drop in blood pressure which will make them pass out.... eventually 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

3 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

This is a theoretical abstraction in your mind. You don't have direct experience or empathic understanding. Your empathic abilities are not strong enough to do it indirectly, so you would need to actually go through the insanity and torture yourself. . . One way to get a feel for it is to repeatedly take high doses of psychedelics in an unsafe setting. You would likely enter psychotic insanity zones that would come close to answering your question through direct experience. Yet I would advise this because it would likely be extremely traumatic and I don't think you understand what you would be getting into.

To me, intellectualizing this is a form of mental masturbation with little benefit. The deeper understanding is through direct experience. Go there if you dare. Yet be careful, you won't come out of it the same. . . 

I'm saying this because I have had direct experience with these type of psychotic "insanity zones" When I was a teen I did 550ug of LSD in an extremely bad setting. With people who where at a stage red level of development. They kept laughing at the fact that I was terrified and thought it was hilarious, no empathy at all and I suffered through the hell out of it. I was all alone. It eventually went on for so long that I realized that if I didnt enjoy it, I would not be able to handle it anymore. So I surrendered and your right... I was never the same again lol.

15 minutes ago, onacloudynight said:

If I was kidnapped and there's no escape and the people are cutting my body, then I will feel the pain from cutting.

2 hours ago, onacloudynight said:

Isn't being terrified of insanity ego? Why not just enjoy insanity no matter how extreme it is. 

Go ahead, if you dare.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Go ahead, if you dare.

I guarantee I wont be able to handle it now, but I'll give it a shot once I got like 30 years of consciousness work under my belt. Wish me luck!

I apologize for the title and the use of the word insanity. I didn't mean literal insanity but rather, was riffing off the use of the word "insane" in the context of the quote. It was not my intention to ruffle any feathers. I agree that literal insanity is probably a torturous existence.

1 hour ago, Serotoninluv said:

The term "insane" is used in various contexts. For example, insane can mean eccentric, abnormal, nonconformist or weird. Insanity might be a form of genius or crazy good. "Dude, you just hit a hole-in-one!!! That shot was insane!!". . . Or insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

The OP is using the term "insanity" in a relatively benign context. 

There is another form of psychotic insanity that is much much more intense and horrifying. There are various forms and it's really hard to describe. If someone does enough psychedelics, they are likely to enter insanity zones. . . . I just wrote here about one of mine, yet I think it's best I delete it. 

It depends on context. In terms of an eccentric, weird or crazy kind of insanity, that is a reasonable question. Yet it still assumes an element of sanity. There are forms of psychotic insanity that are tortuous. It would be like asking "Why not just enjoy the torture no matter how extreme it is?". 

@Serotoninluv Thanks for clearing this up. I had indeed meant this in a benign context :)

@onacloudynight I won't judge whether anyone's relative experience qualifies as insanity. . . Yet it seems that you have a contextualization of insanity that is different than mine. That is fine, yet we can't communicate well on the topic because we are on different frequencies. 

1 minute ago, ttom said:

@Serotoninluv Thanks for clearing this up. I had indeed meant this in a benign context :)

@ttom A can of worms got opened up!! o.O

3 minutes ago, ttom said:

It was not my intention to ruffle any feathers.

No matter how it came about it's still a great exorcise in the exploration of the psyche.

@cetus56 I was just about to say, this post has become more beneficial by being taken out of context. It's always interesting to experience how relativity distorts.

4 minutes ago, ttom said:

It's always interesting to experience how relativity distorts.

...And before ya know it, ppl are talking about getting limbs cut off. HehexD

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Monty Python is another form of insanity...............................