ttom

Thank God for insanity.

54 posts in this topic

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

This quote captures the essence of a great challenge in the early stages of awakening. It is a deep reminder for me of the alienation and self-doubt that arose when I first began to step outside mainstream culture. Thank you to everyone beating the drums to the song that keeps my feet moving.

:x

I found this recently

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from."

---- Jodie Foster

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

And then there's actually losing your mind. Which is not so great.

Being different or weird is not the same thing as insanity. Actual insanity is terrifying.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

34 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Being different or weird is not the same thing as insanity. Actual insanity is terrifying.

Never a stone left unturned. 

33 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I had an psychotic episode and I felt that it was me by believing my thoughts and thinking that I was my thought that took me into that spiral of insanity. Once I began to not pay attention to those thoughts like "I am going crazy" or things like that, it never happen to me again.

I think the only way to go really insane is to have a "physical" limitation, like something in your brain affecting your behavior or thinking that crazy thoughts are what you are and losing touch with reality. What's your experience on that Leo?

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

3 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

I found this recently

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from."

---- Jodie Foster

@abrakamowse  There is still resistance there, it's fun when you realize this abnormality has always been inside the norm. xD And that it isn't really you who is going crazy.

2 minutes ago, bejapuskas said:

@abrakamowse  There is still resistance there, it's fun when you realize this abnormality has always been inside the norm. xD And that it isn't really you who is going crazy.

That's why I think that once you see behind the veil of maya, nothing can touch you. Because whatever happens is not you.

:)

37 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

I think the only way to go really insane is to have a "physical" limitation,

"Going insane" is just a state like any other. Whether you object to it or not is a different story.

Hey man. I'm not sure how the thread title links to your actual post as they seem unrelated unless I am being dim which happens all the time lol

But try telling the bereaved parents of all the young people and not so young that end their lives through insanity that it's something to be grateful for!

But I'm pretty sure this is not what you mean but the title of your thread pushed a button if I am being honest rather than just projecting at you.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Isn't being terrified of insanity ego? Why not just enjoy insanity no matter how extreme it is. 

2 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

"Going insane" is just a state like any other. Whether you object to it or not is a different story.

You mean object in the sense of objectify? Making it a "thing" ?

On a lighter note I used to think people who sat in alcoholics anonymous meetings most nights of the week were insane. I would think this when I was at home getting drunk or in the pub drinking. Now i think the people in the pub are perhaps the insane ones and the people of AA are the ones who have woken up!  In relation to the good quote you said at the top. 

The term "insane" is used in various contexts. For example, insane can mean eccentric, abnormal, nonconformist or weird. Insanity might be a form of genius or crazy good. "Dude, you just hit a hole-in-one!!! That shot was insane!!". . . Or insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

The OP is using the term "insanity" in a relatively benign context. 

There is another form of psychotic insanity that is much much more intense and horrifying. There are various forms and it's really hard to describe. If someone does enough psychedelics, they are likely to enter insanity zones. . . . I just wrote here about one of mine, yet I think it's best I delete it. 

1 hour ago, onacloudynight said:

Why not just enjoy insanity no matter how extreme it is?

It depends on context. In terms of an eccentric, weird or crazy kind of insanity, that is a reasonable question. Yet it still assumes an element of sanity. There are forms of psychotic insanity that are tortuous. It would be like asking "Why not just enjoy the torture no matter how extreme it is?". 

22 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Or insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

Or 99.8% of Earth's inhabitants.

@Serotoninluv  What kind of insanity are you talking about? (I mean the one caused by spiritual work) I've had these periods of feeling like I am going insane but I was able to let go and transcend that and my friends who are also searching have been telling me something similar... Is there something deeper, more dangerous perhaps?

5 hours ago, ttom said:

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

This quote captures the essence of a great challenge in the early stages of awakening. It is a deep reminder for me of the alienation and self-doubt that arose when I first began to step outside mainstream culture. Thank you to everyone beating the drums to the song that keeps my feet moving.

:x

I think what you posted could be misleading.

for example, are you suggesting I should be thankful to God for my psychotic insanity, or to the people who committed suicide due to psychosis, or thankful to God that a psychotic person nearly raped a woman?

14 minutes ago, bejapuskas said:

Is there something deeper, more dangerous perhaps?

There is if you want there to be. But it could easily become a rabbit hole.

37 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

The term "insane" is used in various contexts. For example, insane can mean eccentric, abnormal, nonconformist or weird. Insanity might be a form of genius or crazy good. "Dude, you just hit a hole-in-one!!! That shot was insane!!". . . Or insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

The OP is using the term "insanity" in a relatively benign context. 

There is another form of psychotic insanity that is much much more intense and horrifying. There are various forms and it's really hard to describe. If someone does enough psychedelics, they are likely to enter insanity zones. . . . I just wrote here about one of mine, yet I think it's best I delete it. 

I know you are curious and mean well here, yet be mindful context. In terms of an eccentric, weird or crazy kind of insanity, that is a reasonable question. Yet it still assumes an element of sanity. There is psychotic insanity that you don't seem to have experience with. There are forms of psychotic insanity that are tortuous. It would be like asking "Why not just enjoy the torture no matter how extreme it is?".  or "Why not just enjoy the force-feeding? You are getting fed, you might as well enjoy it". The question may be asked innocently, yet there is a missing component of direct experience or empathic understanding. 

Let me ask you this. If you were kidnapped and there was no chance of escape and the people there desired to cut off your limbs one by one. Why not enjoy it? Take pleasure in their pleasure as they are enjoying cutting your limbs off. The alternative is to suffer through it.

Edited by onacloudynight