Surfingthewave

Diet and sleep

28 posts in this topic

Struggling with sleep right now, have upped my spiritual practices recently but also looking at link between diet and sleep. I tend to eat a largish meal before bed. I mainly do eat meat however once a week, and most of the time I eat pretty well.

In the past emotional pain always seem to go to my gut, very sensitive area, have looked into sacral chakra healing in this area. 

Anyone found success with changing diet and impact on sleep? 

4 hours ago, Surfingthewave said:

I tend to eat a largish meal before bed.

I'd try to start with this before blaming it on chakra imbalance ;) sometimes the answer is very simple.  

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

What you ate as your large meal before bed?

Some foods before bed will disrupt your sleep. Some foods will help you sleep. 

In my experience:

-  At night: Bananas, Sweet Potatos, Nuts, can help sleep.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

17 hours ago, Surfingthewave said:

@Rasheed generally protein and carbs, but yes I think my digestive system is working over time during the night! 

I don’t know this as a fact, but from my direct experience I can say following: Consuming protein before bed is not a good idea because it makes individual “active”, making it unable to sleep well. If you want to consume protein before bed, it will be better to consume protein like Buckwheat. Buckwheat can actually help you fall asleep. 

Google best and worst foods to consume before bed, create your bed-time meal with right foods, and I think, that is good way to go. As a I said, Bananas and Sweet Potatoes are the best.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

37 minutes ago, Surfingthewave said:

@Rasheed Great thank you! 

:)

You need to eat the dinner soon. There was not even once I could sleep well when I had dinner just before bed. 

Recently I drink borage flower tea before sleep. It is really great for insomnia.

2 minutes ago, Elham said:

You need to eat the dinner soon. There was not even once I could sleep well when I had dinner just before bed. 

Recently I drink borage flower tea before sleep. It is really great for insomnia.

In my opinion, it also depends on what you eat on the dinner. I still agree, that dinner close to bed is not good. Intermittent fasting (at least 12 hours) is good for sleep. Not eating after 8 is good.

4 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

In my opinion, it also depends on what you eat on the dinner. 

Yes of course. 

@Elham  yea borage tea helped me a lot. 

Also I'd suggest chamomile tea. It helps to relax. I also use passion flower. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I am really into herbal tea and borage flower tea works like sleeping pill for me. 

It's purple but when you pure some lemon in it, it turns pink xD 

I love it 

1 minute ago, Elham said:

I am really into herbal tea and borage flower tea works like sleeping pill for me. 

It's purple but when you pure some lemon in it, it turns pink xD 

I love it 

xDxD me too

Love it 

1 minute ago, Preety_India said:

Also I'd suggest chamomile tea. It helps to relax. I also use passion flower.

Yaaaaa. Chamomile is also for sleeping

Magnesium.

It's the mineral that is responsible for controlling anxiety and making us sleepy.

Magnesium sources include:

- Dark Leafy Vegetables (Definitely not the only reason to eat a TON of those)

- Nuts and Seeds

- Dark Chocolate (Preferably go for 80% cacao or more, so it doesn't have a lot of sugar)

- Legumes (Lentils,Beans,Chickpeas)

Also consider taking a magnesium supplement. It helps, but of course it is not necessary.

Try eating more of these foods, and I'm sure it will help you a lot, not only with sleep but with your general health. :)

Also like @Preety_India said, chamomile tea is really good too.

Edited by Aggelos Doulgerakis

2 minutes ago, Aggelos Doulgerakis said:

Magnesium.

It's the mineral that is responsible for controlling anxiety and making us sleepy.

Magnesium sources include:

- Dark Leafy Vegetables (Definitely not the only reason to eat a TON of those)

- Nuts and Seeds

- Dark Chocolate (Preferably go for 80% cacao or more, so it doesn't have a lot of sugar)

- Legumes (Lentils,Beans,Chickpeas)

Also consider taking a magnesium supplement. It helps, but of course it is not necessary.

Try eating more of these foods, and I'm sure it will help you a lot, not only with sleep but with your general health. :)

Also like @Preety_India said, chamomile tea is really good too.

Thank you so much.. I'll try magnesium supplements now. 

@Surfingthewave I always sleep well after eating a low fat high carb meal. If I go through a phase of drinking bone broth (chicken feet and langostine heads) is sleep like a friggin new born baby.

But drinking bone broth all the time is tedious and heavy metals end up in bone tissue more than anywhere in a carcass, so I don't overdo it.

The body can handle a certain amount of heavy metals, even decent levels of aluminium, it's just best not to overdo it.

Regular consumption of whole grains can help remove metals in the digestive system. 

Edited by Nickyy

Like most things, quality sleep is subject to a network of different systems working in synergy.

Diet is definitely one, but it's not the only area, so look at it wholistically. 

48 minutes ago, studentofthegame said:

Like most things, quality sleep is subject to a network of different systems working in synergy.

Diet is definitely one, but it's not the only area, so look at it wholistically. 

I noticed that when I'm stressed I don't sleep to well. Like a big project at work makes me lose sleep even when I'm eating healthy and everything else in life is going relatively well.

So I agree with this point