Schahin

Opinions on how self inquiry works

6 posts in this topic

Hey people of the good, 

Can sb supoort me and telling me advices on how to do self inquiry? 

I have tried it these ways so far:

Asking "Who am I" , and then just remain silent and wait for something to happen. 

Asking "where does my next thought come from" (from the book quantum healing)  and then observe the silence in between the thoughts

And asking "who is aware of these thoughts" (that I an thinking right now) and then also observing the silence that comes afterwards. 

So far i keep trying but I imagine that these methods all lead to awakening, in the search of the dreamer of this dream, and probably awakening is like really waking up. 

Do you have more and better advices?

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Schahin

There’s an outline in my link below.  

Thank you Ill view it now

Don't get lost in the question, who am i. This can be a distraction, Just look at reality or existence. Just look in your direct experience long enough and something wil be reveled. Also try to keep your mind as silent as much as possible. That is the best advice i can give you. When i had my first experience of no-self my mind was silent and i just tried to look at existence in stead of getting lost in the question.

Rupert often loves concepts, however his explanations here are amazing! 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Schahin You can't just remain silent or observe the silence and hope that eventually something will happen. You can do this for thousands of hours and not get anywhere. There certainly are periods where you end up sitting in silence, but that is generally a by-product of prior contemplation and questioning. You need to just be brutally honest with yourself and then question the answers that you come up with. When you ask Who Am I?, what is your honest to god answer? Probably your name, your personality, life story, memories etc. Question these beliefs.

If you are working to get Who you are, you must first have an absolutely honest and genuine intent to get to the truth of the matter. You must think, whatever the truth is, I don't care, but I seriously want to know - not for my own self agenda, but for Truth's sake. 

When you sit down to contemplate, let go of all beliefs you have about enlightenment and particularly about what you've heard from others. Anything about you being nothing, or being everything, or being infinite, or you not existing, or anything you've heard from others, just let it all go. It will not serve you in any way. This is so important.  Don't expect or imagine what you think the answer is. Because that isn't YOU!

Focus on what is actually true for you right now, right in your direct experience. The trick though, is that what you think is direct experience, is actually imagination. So be careful and mindful. 

When you're work on getting Who you are, you are setting out to get YOU! Not as a belief or idea or thought, but ACTUALLY you. It's not going to be anything but YOU - can you get this? Don't confuse yourself with anything you perceive, think or anything you are attached to (like your life story). Is your life story actually who you are, or are you imagining it?

5 hours ago, Schahin said:

So far i keep trying but I imagine that these methods all lead to awakening, in the search of the dreamer of this dream, and probably awakening is like really waking up. 

Let all this (above) go. They are just beliefs and ideas, and are not useful for contemplation. Focus on what is actually true for you right now. Don't overcomplicate it. 

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski