Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nak Khid

Rupert Spira doesn't seem that happy to me

10 posts in this topic

Here he is talking about happiness

What he's saying here sounds wise enough but he seems kind of glum.

He has what feels to me a somewhat humorless demeanor that doesn't resonate with me.
I'm not sure if that is how he always was or if it's a manifestation of how he conceives of happiness.

Edited by Nak Khid

I’m going to see him in three weeks I’ll let you know how he is in person :)

Haha I see what you mean! However, most people define happiness as the presence of joy or other pleasant emotions, but all emotions come and go, just like everything else. For that reason, happiness in that form is not available on a continuous unbroken basis. But what if that's not what true happiness is?  What if happiness is simply the end of unhappiness? In other words, "peace of mind". The absence of things like guilt, blame, pride, worry/anxiety, expectations and attachment to outcomes? The end of a narrative that claims ownership over everything that happens and has ideas about how life should and shouldn't be.  That type of happiness is available on a continuous basis. And I get the sense that this is where Rupert is coming from. 

Well, that's my two cents anyways! =) 

Happiness and joy is a comprehensive mental state that can be cultivated consistently and is available to a skilled meditator. Equanimity and peace does NOT mean neutrality.

The claim 'True happiness is the end of unhappiness'  can be interpreted as neutral dullness because that too would be the end of unhappiness. But true happiness is the joy and happiness that arise by eliminating craving and desire. Its mind's natural state to be in when mind unification occurs.

I'm talking about that 'giggly' happiness. I also claim that this happiness in the casual sense can be made 100 times more powerful by combining with profound equanimity, mindfulness and peace. These are highly related but distinct lines of spiritual development. 

I'm pretty sure Rupert Spira experiences the happiness from within. Don't mistake his demeanor with adept stages of spirituality actually being this 'glum' peace without joy and happiness. It is just his style. He is wise and knows what he is talking about.

You watch Eckhart Tolle and he emphasizes the joy aspect more by smiling and speaking in less serious undertones. So keep on practicing and cultivating happiness and joy in meditation. If you become too serious, you'll just make the journey harder for yourself.

That sort of mindset can 'lock' the emotional states in sleepy neutrality and dullness which is not at all what true happiness is all about. It is also not as helpful in meditation as one might think.

That neutrality can induce more equanimity but that is not an accurate description of how an adept meditator lives their lives. Within that neutrality, there is A LOT of aversion. That is why the mind is not happy in the usual sense. Equanimity and neutrality are completely different terms.

So, a skilled meditator doesn't experience neutrality with equanimity. They experience profound equanimity with stable joy and happiness. They don't flatline emotionally. These are totally different emotional states.

Edited by ardacigin

Matt Kahn is probably one of the most self realized people i have seen. His humor is outstanding. A very colourful being. 

The sense of wonderment can be so big for some that silence is enough. Rupert strikes me as one who drowns in the wonders of silence. 

One goes through a capacity stage, doing what one can to “contain” infinite love, joy, and happiness. If you saw Rupert in his immediate post awakening stages, it’d have been more obvious. He knows the fine line people draw between crazy, happy, and crazy happy. Careful with what you see, personality is a projection, not an object observed. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I'm happy most of the day, but I don't necessary smile, even though I smile a lot, even alone.

I don't think you can know just by looking it this way.

Spira often smile though, so it's not like he is looking depressed or empty though.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@AwakenedSoul444 Get the book The Mind Illuminated. I just started reading it and it's a complete game changer for me. It teaches you how to actually meditate. I can't recommend it enough. And the poster you just referenced always references it, i think he's super legit i'd listen to his posts.