themovement

Leo, why don't you just go off to become a monk

48 posts in this topic

@themovement  You're idolizing monks a lot here. 

If everyone went off and become a monk, there'd be serious repercussions, also being a Monk doesn't = enlightenment so it wouldn't automatically mean peace on Earth, you're thinking extremely simplistically here. 

They still have politics in their monasteries and hierarchies, and they can also have their fare share of scandals...

https://www.dw.com/en/dalai-lama-admits-he-knew-about-buddhist-teachers-sexual-abuse/a-45507680

https://info-buddhism.com/Abuse_and_Buddhism-Behind_the_Smiling_Facade-Anna_Sawerthal.html

Also, a lot of monasteries are quite stage Blue institutions, I'm not saying becoming a Monk can't help on your path, it certainly can but it isn't some golden ticket to full self-realization. 

If it's your path, then go for it all in, if not then find your path :) 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

My view on this is, that it is so much fun to live in society, but sometimes I feel the need to go away by myself...

I heard some stories from a friend who used to live in a monastery that certain zen monks actually believe that zen stories have actually happened xD I never thought it was possible before he's told me that...

2 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@themovement  You're idolizing monks a lot here. 

If everyone went off and become a monk, there'd be serious repercussions, also being a Monk doesn't = enlightenment so it wouldn't automatically mean peace on Earth, you're thinking extremely simplistically here. 

They still have politics in their monasteries and hierarchies, and they can also have their fare share of scandals...

https://www.dw.com/en/dalai-lama-admits-he-knew-about-buddhist-teachers-sexual-abuse/a-45507680

https://info-buddhism.com/Abuse_and_Buddhism-Behind_the_Smiling_Facade-Anna_Sawerthal.html

Also, a lot of monasteries are quite stage Blue institutions, I'm not saying becoming a Monk can't help on your path, it certainly can but it isn't some golden ticket to full self-realization. 

If it's your path, then go for it all in, if not then find your path :) 

Valid points, I meant more in terms for the earth and other living beings, humans would still have alot of work to do. l'm not saying to actually do this I was just using it as a point that being a monk isn't selfish which was a reply to a post saying it was, don't take the example literally. 

3 hours ago, 28 cm unbuffed said:

what a great topic - debating about answering a question that only Leo knows answer for

<slow_clap>

If you actually would of read the post properly I also said the same question is aimed at forum users as well. Whats the point in being negative and sarcastic? Bet your not like this in person so why do it behind a computer screen. 

@themovement  Yes sorry, I should've read more. 

However, if you were to go be a monk what would be your reason for doing so? :) 

I just think society is facing so many issues right now, that personal awakening and then doing your own to help society is soo valuable atm, but monks can also do this, such as Thich Naht Hanh. 

However, unless there are already many fully self Realized teachers already teaching at the monastery there's no guarantee you'll get there, and with so much access to teachings and awakening 'tools' I feel it is less necessary in 2019 to become a monk to awaken, although I see it's value for some people. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

6 hours ago, themovement said:

Disagree it's selfish, being a monk is probably the most unselfish thing you can do. You completely eradicate your carbon footprint, think what would happen to the world if everyone became monks. We would have peace on earth pretty much for all sentient beings. Being selfish really means not acting from a place of self. I agree doing both and sharing insights is also amazing.   

How would the world function with just monks? Who is gonna grow/hunt the food? Build the homes? Run the government? Provide medical services? It could never be like that. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

why would we? there's so many beautiful things to do in this world, and we will go back to the infinite awareness anyway after we physically die, so what's the point?

Edited by petar8p

I checked out this thread to see what's going on. It's an interesting topic. Personally I don't believe that I know any Enlightened people. I mean, really? Do you think Enlightened people use the internet as a form of communication? Wouldn't Enlightened people find folks like me to be toxic to their Enlightenment? No, I'm of the belief that we all have had Spiritual Awakenings. Some more profound than others. Oh, and I also don't believe that Enlightened people would rely on drugs to reach Enlightenment. The information is wonderful but I'm not sold. I'm a little skeptical you might say... oh, I'm also noticing that Leo hasn't commented here. Probably a good call.

@bejapuskas

This is nice little three and a half minute video and I'm thinking that this man probably knows better than i...  

Edited by Eugenio
Added commentary...

I've been Enlightened a.k.a. had a Spiritual Awakening, a Spiritual Experience and have never forgotten. I've also had these experiences since. Have tried to force them at times. The feeling is called Euphoria. I'm still searching however my spider sense just tingled. I believe it's suggesting that I stop trying, surrender and simply be... Enlightened. 

13 minutes ago, Eugenio said:

This is nice little three and a half minute video and I'm thinking that this man probably knows better than i...  

Why would you think that?

@Eugenio  What you think or believe is irrelevant to Enlightenment. Enlightenment speaks for itself so clearly that you don't need to think about it, it's impossible.

@bejapuskas I'd have to agree. Nor do words do it justice. Nobody needs to practice resistance regarding the subject. 

On 25/11/2019 at 0:40 AM, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

In a sense thats selfish, going off all by yourself indefinitely and enjoying liberation vs use your insights to build the consciousness of others. And you can do both, hence the importance of solo retreats. 

But you are others, so selfishness is not even possible to begin with.

@themovement

I don't know about Leo and I can't speak for him. But to me, I don't think it's true liberation to think that you need to do something in order to become liberated. I think that liberation is everywhere and that it's always the case. The only question would be whether you are aware of it or not.

Why did you post this thread? I highly expect that Leo's answer for your question would be similar to yours for mine.

11 hours ago, themovement said:

If you actually "would of" (would've) read the post properly I also said the same question is aimed at forum users as well. "Whats" (what's) the point in being negative and sarcastic? Bet "your" (you're) not like this in person so why do it behind a computer screen"." (?)

@Lento Just thought I'd offer you an example of Imperfection. That's not why I corrected your mistakes. I'm simply offering you a taste of your own medicine. Mama always said, "turn about's fair play". I think that your opening post is leading and just as much uncalled for as this one. None the less, what's done is done so let's continue on and learn from our past... not continue to relive it. Thanks!

@Eugenio

From my POV, it's completely perfect either ways.

❤️

(not sure you're talking to me though).

Edited by Lento