Michael569

feeling the suffering of others

13 posts in this topic

I have recently become aware of how much everyone around me is suffering on daily basis. This is especially prevalent in food services , coffee places, book stores, transport services etc.  When I look at the people working in these places I see pain, disgust, fear  and often anxiety and depression. Sometimes I associate myself with their situation so much that I have to leave the place because it leaves me slightly depressed seeing them go through this

I wasn't too concerned about this so much before perhaps its a lot of hidden devilry finally coming up after realising I am participating in all of this by purchasing from these places or just becoming slightly more mindful. 

Wondering if other people often feel the same? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Is seeing people work in the food industry make you see the suffering? Or just the suffering of oupeople in general? Because I think people who are dreading their work, are suffering. People who like their work, anywhere, doing anything, are not.

Is it empathy? That you absorb everyone's emotions unknowingly? I find that people, just in general, anywhere, exhaust me beyond limit. I am now trying to pay attention and remain present. I try this exercise, every time I go for a walk in the park, I pay close attention to people passing me by. Not how they look or the expression on their faces, just how the air around me changes very subtly- their vibes, if I dare say. I do the same with trees too. And there is a consistent pattern I notice, the vibes around trees, children and some aged people, is very similar. Very few adults have the same vibe. I cannot say which is good or bad, I just try and feel it and over a period of time, I've noticed each person has a different vibe or type of vibe. Should apply this to places and things too. 

When you say you're participating in this devilry, do you mean you are participating in causing their suffering, or alleviating their suffering? Cause it might be they really need that job and you're helping them by purchasing from them. Either way, being mindful is the way- learning to observe without absorbing. 

If you were starving and one of the people you mentioned gave you food, you’d feel great about that interaction, wether they were suffering or not. It’s relative. It’s perspective. There is empathy, but there is no actual assertion. Within you, is the absolute unconditional love. When you choose certain perspectives about people, and they do not feel good, immediately let them go, and again, as it so beautifully does, your inner being arises (the cork floats) bringing forward the love, and you are positioned in well being and now have something wonderful to offer. (Should you be interested in feeling wonderful and sharing that with others).

The love, the “cork which floats”, the inner being, the source, the higher self, the true you -  is subtle, and unimposing. A heavy handed perspective is more than ample to “hold the cork under water”. Let go, and you float. I hope this is helpful. I’ve benefitted from your advise more times that I can count. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

There is empathy, but there is no actual assertion. 

Can you please explain what you mean by assertion? I think I understand what you mean but I'm not sure. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Nahm Yes. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

2 hours ago, rNOW said:

Is seeing people work in the food industry make you see the suffering? Or just the suffering of oupeople in general?

Probably in general but I don't notice people on the streets as much as those in services. 

2 hours ago, rNOW said:

I try this exercise, every time I go for a walk in the park, I pay close attention to people passing me by. Not how they look or the expression on their faces, just how the air around me changes very subtly- their vibes, if I dare say.

Interesting exercise, I might try doing this. 

2 hours ago, rNOW said:

When you say you're participating in this devilry, do you mean you are participating in causing their suffering, or alleviating their suffering? Cause it might be they really need that job and you're helping them by purchasing from them. Either way, being mindful is the way- learning to observe without absorbing. 

Participating probably leads to more people being drawn to these jobs in search of income and survival but that leaves them with no time to self-reflect and do any personal development work. At the same time my purchases allow them to have decent life perhaps? Its the catch 22 and I don't have an answer to that.  Thank you for your input thou, it delivers a good perspective!

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

If you were starving and one of the people you mentioned gave you food, you’d feel great about that interaction, wether they were suffering or not. It’s relative. It’s perspective. There is empathy, but there is no actual assertion. Within you, is the absolute unconditional love. When you choose certain perspectives about people, and they do not feel good, immediately let them go, and again, as it so beautifully does, your inner being arises (the cork floats) bringing forward the love, and you are positioned in well being and now have something wonderful to offer. (Should you be interested in feeling wonderful and sharing that with others).

The love, the “cork which floats”, the inner being, the source, the higher self, the true you -  is subtle, and unimposing. A heavy handed perspective is more than ample to “hold the cork under water”. Let go, and you float. I hope this is helpful. I’ve benefitted from your advise more times that I can count.

Very enlightening as always thank you!  Intellectually I know letting go is the answer but I struggle with that big time and easily get attached to things allowing them to deplete my energy. I will work on being more mindful whenever I am doing this, that's probably a good first step. Cheers !!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I have experienced this especially so on a public psychedelic trip.

I combat this by trying to cheer up people with a good attitude. For example, I could leave a voluntary tip in the jar or say, "that food was delicious! thank you, have a wonderful day!" Really say it with projection of my voice and eye contact. In a way, this makes people feel like they served the world in someway. Or it could be as something simple as "hey, how are you doing?" In general, treat them like human beings.

Often times it's not the work that is depressing, but our attitude about the work and ourselves that makes it depressing. People put too much pressure on themselves at work or they have a story about their place in the world because of the work they do. 

In addition, many people come into a store and forget to treat waiters/waitresses or people behind the cash registers as people, so I'd imagine that influences how those workers feel.

So I feel when I radiate those 'good vibes' and/or treat the workers like a human being versus an object that gets me what I want, it eases their work day and bring variety into their life.

Like this dude ;)

Edited by SgtPepper

If every human on Earth purchased only what they truly needed to survive, many of these places would not be in business.

I notice a lot of suffering too. I at least try to cheer them up a little bit but ultimately it's their choice to be there. It's not our responsibility to do things for other people, their life is their responsibility. Of course, I like to help as much as I can but I can't do the actions for them. We can't help everyone we meet, we all need our lessons to wake us up and start creating better lives.

I have an opinion on everything :D

Realize the meaning, stories, and limitations created for others are a reflection of what is seen in ourselves. Suffering is part of any journey, so we can relate and admit its presence but this doesn’t mean we cannot also detach/let go and choose something far more profound for how we choose to experience the situation 

personally I’ve found it takes practice (reconditioning/self love) and self observation to come to a place where giving things meaning isn’t something done automatically anymore. But It’s part of the journey, accepting our suffering in the eyes of others is key to the let go so there’s space to begin the shift 

you're not responsible for feeling into every passer-by you see in front of your eyes. that would make to enter into negative loop of vibration and you'd attract more and more suffering and pain. remember what you focus on. 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"