CreamCat

How do I create a good mastermind group of people in the same field?

15 posts in this topic

I read and heard about benefits of a mastermind group. Now, I'm trying to create one.

I'm just a very beginner in my field. People of intermediate, advanced, and expert levels don't want to form a group with only me.

I've tried to pick specific persons, but picking specific persons does not work well for now because I cannot help them as a beginner.

Now, I'm thinking of announcing a scheduled voice group meeting on an internet community. It seems announcing it is far more efficient than picking specific persons for now.

How would you go about creating a mastermind group that organizes bi-weekly or monthly voice group meetings on a chatting service(discord, slack, ...)?

Edited by CreamCat

16 minutes ago, Elisabeth said:

What's your field? 

• That's personal information I'm yet hesitant to reveal. I want to talk generically for now.
  • Since this topic applies to all professions, I don't want to dilute the focus by revealing my field.
Edited by CreamCat

Ok, you don't have to be very specific. But tell us more, because different fields work very differently. Are there a lot of other beginners around you? Is it very competitive, are those people competing with you at the same time? 

It would be very different to set up a group in science vs. in business vs. in social work.  

I work in a creative field composed mostly of one-man entrepreneurs, freelancers, and employees.

We can make passive or active income.

It is very competitive, but the competition is not cut-throat to the point where winners take everything. We may compete in end-user markets as one-man entrepreneurs. There are also hobbyists who may be more willing to help beginners.

There are going to be a lot of other beginners on internet communities. There is no shortage of people at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. There are many masters, but they will not or cannot help beginners individually. True masters are rare.

Creative personalities tend to have big fat (undeveloped) ego. They may be afraid to admit that they are not as good as they think they are. Some may not be able to tolerate people who have small differences in methodologies. So, it may take time to form a stable core in a group.

Edited by CreamCat

I see. 

I'm thinking about what your group can offer. Discussion of topics and feedback, sure. But these will be very different depending on the level, as you say, advanced people don't want to form a group with beginners only. Therefore I would say you need people of about the same level - driven beginners (to intermediates) eager to get into the field. If that's your companions, maybe making goal-setting and accountability one of the main points on schedule is not a bad idea. You learn together and within a year your beginner group can advance to intermediate. 

It depends though what your personal needs are from this group. If you need to speak to someone advanced, asking for mentoring may be more appropriate. 

Edited by Elisabeth

15 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

If you need to speak to someone advanced, asking for mentoring may be more appropriate.

I've looked for someone advanced who may be willing to provide mentoring. Some are willing to give quick tips. But, a little bit of quick tip is not very helpful. I was tired of looking. Asking random advanced people on the internet for mentoring is inefficient.

Only after I have provided some useful service to a person for a while, the person may consider mentoring.

Perhaps, I shall look for opportunities to work with advanced people and experts in some ways. If I worked with them in some way, they might be more willing to talk with me.

There was a programmer who wanted to get advices from experts. Months after he volunteered for a job of creating quizzes for his favorite programming language, he got offers to work alongside experts of that language for conferences. He got paid to work with them. He got a lot of advices.

Edited by CreamCat

6 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

I'm thinking about what your group can offer. Discussion of topics and feedback, sure. But these will be very different depending on the level, as you say, advanced people don't want to form a group with beginners only. Therefore I would say you need people of about the same level - driven beginners (to intermediates) eager to get into the field. If that's your companions, maybe making goal-setting and accountability one of the main points on schedule is not a bad idea. You learn together and within a year your beginner group can advance to intermediate.

Goal setting and accountability and information sharing are good. I may form a group of beginners and intermediates.

Edited by CreamCat

@Maximus You can also think of announcing a mastermind group on an internet community.

On an internet community, ask beginners and intermediates to join your mastermind group meeting.

The group meeting can be coordinated on discord or some other platforms.

There, you and others set goals together, keep each other accountable, and talk about various topics.

You set the rules for the group, and you invite people who share mission, vision, and value with you.

My current rule is to not allow chronic negative criticism.

Edited by CreamCat

Heres eben pagans take on masterminds

Inspiring imo 

received_2481454321971615.jpeg

received_671240969949657.jpeg

received_778682339260413.jpeg

received_983415338688160.jpeg

received_567464874017668.jpeg

received_2566119906835904.jpeg

Edited by d0ornokey

You don't need more than 4-5 people that are hardcore.

What are you working on ?

16 minutes ago, Aeris said:

You don't need more than 4-5 people that are hardcore.

What are you working on ?

I aspire to be a kind of content creator. It's difficult to find hardcore people. I'm looking for them.

Edited by CreamCat

We can work together if you want some teamwork. ( But I m still learning ). Lot of software skills. ( Sound engineering (ableton)/ photoshop / zbrush(3D). But basicly I learned how to learn. Did this did that.

USA or Europe ?

@Aeris Asia.

I look for mastermind group members and mentors rather than co-workers.

Your core competency doesn't seem to overlap with my career.

Edited by CreamCat