Consept

Does flow state always come with ego attached?

8 posts in this topic

Getting into a flow state is an amazing experience and I believe we should look to get into this state as much as we can. However, observing myself, my ego comes in claiming the flow state as soon as the activity is done, esp if I've done well or at least perceived myself to have done well in said activity. 

There's a few things that get me into a flow mainly sport (previously football/soccer now boxing), chess and dating/pick up (although dont really do that atm). If you notice in all of them you achieve something or 'win'. So what happens if it's been successful and I've performed well, at the time I barely think just flow but then after I can't stop thinking about how great it was and how well I did and the ego kicks in hard, which also can mess you up as next time you do the activity you work from ego and its never as good. 

So is this the case for you? Will this always be a factor but has to be transcended? 

I don't know much about the ego, but I sure have experienced the flow state. Enjoy the flow state while it lasts and after the flow state realize that you're the ego so being joyful about how it worked well can be a positive experience. 

The thoughts that come with the ego are great especially the positive ones so enjoy it while it lasts.

47 minutes ago, Strangeloop said:

I don't know much about the ego, but I sure have experienced the flow state. Enjoy the flow state while it lasts and after the flow state realize that you're the ego so being joyful about how it worked well can be a positive experience. 

The thoughts that come with the ego are great especially the positive ones so enjoy it while it lasts.

Are you always in flow? Would you say you have no ego? 

19 hours ago, Consept said:

Are you always in flow? Would you say you have no ego? 

Well when you question it like that... I guess absolutely life is a constant flow of consciousness. But in that constant flow there are also mistakes that you call going out of the flow. It means that you're out of flow when in reality being out of flow is still part of flow.

If I said that I have no ego I would be denying the fact that I have the ego. So yes I do have an ego and I'm trying to come to terms with it.

Addressing the moment after you "pop out" of flow. I would develop the habit of reflecting on the details of said activity you just performed and optimizing it. So essentially you would be blocking out the self congratulatory aspect you might tend to get carried away with from time to time and instead become more aware of your craft while coming up with ways it can benefit you and hopefully others even more as you develop it more into the future. 

4 hours ago, RickyBalboa said:

Addressing the moment after you "pop out" of flow. I would develop the habit of reflecting on the details of said activity you just performed and optimizing it. So essentially you would be blocking out the self congratulatory aspect you might tend to get carried away with from time to time and instead become more aware of your craft while coming up with ways it can benefit you and hopefully others even more as you develop it more into the future. 

That's good advice