nexusoflife

Which country is more developed in Spiral Dynamics; The United States or Australia?

7 posts in this topic

I was thinking about the cultural differences and similarities between the western democracies and thought about a Spiral Dynamics comparison between Australia and The United States. They seem pretty similarly developed at a stage Orange level of values development, yet I feel that The United States has a stage Blue undertone that sets it a bit lower; as Australia does not seem to have this stage Blue influence, instead the country appears to be more immersed in stage Orange. I would like to know what anyone else thinks about this.

Edited by nexusoflife

If all you knew about Australia was from its popular media image, it would seem that way, but Australia actually has a lot of Blue that politicians and businesses have weaponised to keep the country from progressing. Overall, I would say Australia is at mostly Orange with a large Blue shadow and some growing hints of Green here and there.

I would say compared to America, Australia has a more "flat" level of development than the US. There are Blue places in America which are very BLUE, and such a thing would be a rarity in Australia, but there are also many places in America which are deeply GREEN, which is also pretty rare for Aus. So while the polarities in America are larger, the overall development of the country might be slightly less than Australia as a whole.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

I bet there's a lot of Blue left in Australia in the rural parts.

The Aussies have a stick up their ass about violent video games, which seems to be rooted in stage Blue conservatism.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

As an Aussie, I’d agree with Jack’s response. America seems to have greater polarities with much more hard blue in rural parts of the country. However the cutting edge of psychedelics etc seems to come more from very progressive American culture too. 

Australians tend to have a more egalitarian philosophy as opposed to the hardcore individualist/success orientation of America. For example, Australia has what’s known as the “tall poppy syndrome” where nobody is supposed to become too big for their boots

I live in Australia and I wouldn't move anywhere else. Very relaxing, easy going, multicultural, safe. The only thing is as @Joel3102 says there is "tall poppy syndrome" that sometimes destroys good things. Hopefully, Australia will "grow" out of it.

I have an opinion on everything :D

A few points:

• Politically, I see Australia is more progressive as a whole.
  • Culturally, especially in rural regions, there is still a lot of blue.
  • The youth are very progressive and politically engaged, especially in the cities
  • Although Australia has tight drug protection and control, one of the state's has legalized personal use cannabis. I expect the other 7 will follow suit over the coming year.
  • As others have mentioned, tall poppy syndrome is real :(