Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nak Khid

If Enlightenment was a myth would you still meditate?

6 posts in this topic

If Enlightenment was a myth would you still mediate? 

Currently mindful meditation is quite popular.  Traditionally it might be a part of a path to enlightenment and part of a lifestyle (forgive the term) of renunciation of wordy attachments
but today it is also used just for the sake of stress reduction, relaxation or as a tool for focusing on becoming "successful" in a more mainstream sense on achieving goals of any type and not necessarily qualified by renouncing desires.

As we know it can be relaxing and reduce stress but can also be boring and painful at times.

Many people in this forum would still meditate even if it was certain there would be no enlightenment, by enlightenment I mean a revelation, a new perception that changes your life in a big way.  Many people would still be content on doing it without a awakening experience for the sake of relaxation, stress reduction, concentration and goal setting. 

However I also notice a lot of people who are interested in enlightenment as primary to doing mediation and have been doing it daily or pretty regularly for a few years in some cases and some of these people are dealing with boredom and a feeling of not getting closer to their goal of being enlightened.
So some of them have been practicing diligently for a while  but do not feel these other non-enlightenment benefits are enough.

If Enlightenment was a myth would you still meditate?

I suspect some would not but I do not blame them.  Everybody is different and we cannot assume that everyone who meditates are getting benefits that
are enough to justify keep doing it. I would say a few years is plenty of time to asses if the benefits are worthwhile enough for a practical individual to keep doing it on a daily basis.

Another position someone might take is to meditate for the relaxation, stress reduction, concentration and to achieve goals
and enlightenment might come one day but that is beyond one's control so you are just lucky if it happens to you.

It is also interesting to note many Buddhist in Eastern countries don't even meditate

and also interesting to consider spiritual teachers like Sadhguru and Eckhart Tolle and many others of the most famous spiritual teachers did not put in hard dedication to a traditional meditation practice.   They were not monks or even lay adherents to a practice.  
Perhaps they were just born with it.   Their stories are that they became awakened suddenly and were surprised by it.
Assuming that enlightenment is a real thing and they are enlightened.
There are Buddhist monks who say no one on the planet is currently enlightened.
but others may think there are

Edited by Nak Khid

Yes because meditation is the fundamental of Being. It's all about observing what is already here and now which is the most conscious activity one could do.

Fosho. Meditation is like a meta skill that’s improved all areas of my life

Meditation is enjoyable on its own. If enlightenment is a myth, I would still do it.

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

As long as you think meditation is something you "do", is an "activity"( to be more efficient, more productive, more healthy...) you are not even remotely close to understand what it is, let alone enlightenment that will forever be, indeed, a myth ... You dont chose to meditate, you ARE meditated 

I would. One doesn't need  enlightenment to live a rewarding life, but wisdom. When there is excess  of  wisdom, then that becomes enlightenment. Meditation helps develop wisdom. Also, it is a pleasurable activity that helps develop inner peace.

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy