Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNR Mackey

Too Old To Go To College

3 posts in this topic

Hey, folks

Im looking for some life and professional advice.

When I was in high school, I really wanted to become a doctor. I didnt get amazing grades in high school, I believe I had a 79 average, but not good enough scholarships. Call it an excuse or whatever, but my home was not at all a good learning environment. My parents were divorced when I was 2 years old and my mother had some serious untreated mental health issues, as well as an afinity for dating immature, older alcoholic men. All of which were abusive to me. 

After high school, I did attentd the University of my choice which was not only in-Province for me (lower tuition) but also has a very prestigious school of medicine. My first semester was hard, but I did pass all my courses and was looking forward to the next. The next semester however, my financial struggles from the previous semester began to show and I had to start working more hours. As the semesters went on, I was given less from student loans due to the income I made during the semester. Eventually, I wasn't eligible for much of a loan at all, which meant I had to work pretty much full time just to get by, leaving no time for study. I have absolutely no financial support from anyone. 

After trying and failing with university, I spent 6 years in the army reserves and 5 years so far as a tradesperson. I do not enjoy my work. The trades are filled with toxic masculinity and low conciousness and I just dont want to spend my life working in that environment. Im currently working to pay off my student loan debt and save up money to go back to university to study medicine again, but at this rate, even if I keep working the 50-60 hour weeks that I work year round, Ill be 45 years old before I have enough saved to be able to afford to go back to school without having to work my ass off. That'll put me at 55 to 57 years old before I even graduate. 

Do you people think this is not worth working towards?

Edited by MNR Mackey
Typos

How has toxic masculinity exactly impacted you? 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I do not enjoy my work. The trades are filled with toxic masculinity and low conciousness and I just dont want to spend my life working in that environment.

Is that the only aspect you don't like about the trades? What did you do and what did you like about it?