Matt8800

Intellectuals Need to Awaken Through Their Body

31 posts in this topic

I really like this post and it resonates a lot for me. I use resistance training and practicing using various compound lifts to connect with my body. I also informally practice yoga to keep everything supple. Both of these practices over the years (mainly resistance training) have had crazy effects on my body awareness, body control and mobility. Moreover, my body feels healthy, strong, and capable of supporting the intellectual work I need to do. 

1 hour ago, Consilience said:

I really like this post and it resonates a lot for me. I use resistance training and practicing using various compound lifts to connect with my body. I also informally practice yoga to keep everything supple. Both of these practices over the years (mainly resistance training) have had crazy effects on my body awareness, body control and mobility. Moreover, my body feels healthy, strong, and capable of supporting the intellectual work I need to do. 

@Consilience For me, I had always worked out, was athletic and looked fit but my relationship with my body was more of a machine, with the exception of sex. Sex was the only time I felt truly connected to my body.

I had also tried body scanning techniques but I realized now that I was doing them wrong. Adding correct body scanning techniques was what started changing it....for me anyway.

12 hours ago, Matt8800 said:

I had also tried body scanning techniques but I realized now that I was doing them wrong. Adding correct body scanning techniques was what started changing it....for me anyway.

Hey @Matt8800, thanks for sharing, very helpful!

What constitutes incorrect body-scanning ?

14 hours ago, modmyth said:

I basically have stated the same thing. It's especially a modern issue (as in, an issue of civilization); a sort of energetic "top heaviness".

@modmyth Yeah, I agree. I think interaction with devices and not enough interaction with nature is a big factor. 

13 hours ago, Mada_ said:

Hey @Matt8800, thanks for sharing, very helpful!

What constitutes incorrect body-scanning ?

@Mada_ In my opinion, incorrect is simply directing your attention towards the point (such as a knee, for example). Correct scanning of the point would be opening up to the full experience of that point and feeling it. Directing attention towards the point is more of an objective point of view rather than feeling fully IN the knee is more subjective.

Hold your hands out in front of you and close your eyes. What feelings do you experience that tell you your hands still exist?

If the point was the knee, some things to ponder would be: Do I feel any sensations in the knee? Is it warm/cold? Is there any tingling? Is there any pain? Can I feel my jeans on the surface of my knee? What sensations would be gone if my knee suddenly dissolved and disappeared? When you start to feel the sensations, lock on to them and intensify the feeling of them as much as possible. After you do that, move on to the next point.

These might sound like strange ideas but when you start doing it, it will become more obvious what is going on.

Edited by Matt8800

Cheers. Just ordered Aligned Relaxed Resiliant: The Physical Foundations of Mindfulness

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

55 minutes ago, traveler said:

This is exactly what I need, thank you for making this post!

@traveler You're welcome! :)

3 minutes ago, SoothedByRain said:

Cheers. Just ordered Aligned Relaxed Resiliant: The Physical Foundations of Mindfulness

@SoothedByRain Its a great book. Valuable info. I could say that I wished I would have read it earlier but I wasnt ready to absorb it yet :)