rNOW

Top 3 books that have influenced you most

24 posts in this topic

Books have influenced me immensely. There are some very few ones which I could go on reading and rereading and recommending to everyone I know. So I am curious to know if you have any such books on your shelf. Making this thread to collect and share recommendations for the best of our encounters with books.

A) How many books have you read over the past 5 years?

B) List top three that have influenced you and why

Beginning with my own response:

A) 150+ approximately

B)

(1) Conversations with God, Book 1, By Neale Donald Walsch because it made me realize I had collected so many false belief systems when reality is beyond all beliefs.

(2) The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer because it showed me I'm living my life in contradiction, wanting it to be passionate and intense whilst simultaneously being afraid of passion and intensity on the other hand. Also it offers meditations after each chapter that are very effective.

(3) A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle because it gave me a clear understanding of what an ego is and how it operates my mind and my life.

Edited by rNOW

On 11/14/2019 at 11:03 AM, rNOW said:

Books have influenced me immensely. There are some very few ones which I could go on reading and rereading and recommending to everyone I know. So I am curious to know if you have any such books on your shelf. Making this thread to collect and share recommendations for the best of our encounters with books.

A) How many books have you read over the past 5 years?

Beginning with my own response:

A) 150+ approximately

B)

(1) Conversations with God, Book 1, By Neale Donald Walsch because it made me realize I had collected so many false belief systems when reality is beyond all beliefs.

(2) The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer because it showed me I'm living my life in contradiction, wanting it to be passionate and intense whilst simultaneously being afraid of passion and intensity on the other hand. Also it offers meditations after each chapter that are very effective.

(3) A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle because it gave me a clear understanding of what an ego is and how it operates my mind and my life.

Thanks for this, I've downloaded  The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer on Kindle. Never heard of it before, but looked good. 

@rNOW I share your appreciation of A New Earth and Conversations with God. In the past 5 years I've been more into rereading books. The Oracle of the Cosmic Way by Carol Anthony and Hanna Moog has been very influential on me. It's a modern reworking of the I CHING which I consult almost daily as a tool of Divination.

Two books by Red Hawk.

• Self Observation - The Awakening of Conscience 
  • Self Remembering - The Path to Non-Judgemental Love.

Two books by Ocke de Boer.

• Higher Being Bodies
  • Two Souls

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Zigzag Idiot Thanks, will check these out.

@modmyth I read fiction too, but the very little, probably 1 for every 20 of non-fiction. Let me know if you have any good recommendations. 

I read books randomly. Never fiction. I am not into reading. But will get obsessed with reading when it comes to something i'm into at a specific moment. When i'm interested in something, or wanna know something. Till I got it done with. Satisfied. (Never count how many books/materials i've read) probably all over the place. Different libraries, materials, timespan etc. /borrowing from someone. Reading someone's book randomly. 

(I don't think I read many tho. Do textbooks counts?)

Over the last year, these are the three best authors that I read, several books of different languages. 

1. Al-Ghazali (died 1111 Ad)

2. Said Nursi (1877-1960 Ad)

3. Qurān (eternity)

(I like to go to the roots to know something as it is purer.) 

Why.

1. He got me into this. 

2. We're synchronized. 

3. It is everything in a nutshell. 

?♣  ???

"Never fiction"

Actually I do read fictions as a child. 

The last fiction that i've read is by Dan Brown back in 2010

gj.jpg

xD?

Actually I have forgotten what this book is about. But here's a random quote that describes the three authors i've listed above ;

cc.jpg

Haha

I have a hard time to say what books have influenced me the most, I read (listen) quite a lot and a lot of books that I consume overlap or deal with the same underlying psychology (most of it ~the same in the end) but from different prespectives, theoretically or pragmatically (being written by someone who went through a crisis in a particular way). 

This turned out semi OT, but I might as well see it through. 

With that said, I look at books as blocks of LEGO, the individual blocks may not look like much, it is hard to point out your favorote blocl, it is not often that the piece that look the coolest is the one that helps you combine and produce amazing structures and so on. Also, the sum is greater than the books you've read.

Reading is like an art, a function; outcome = func(current_flow, current_inspiration, book_content) and in a good flow state a not that an amazing book can flick your strings and produce chords that in the end create something beautiful.

That means, for me, it is more important to feel/know when the best time is to read what, like being the conductor of a symphonic orchestra, leading yourself into greatness :x

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

The six pilars of self-esteem, by Nathaniel Branden.

I love how the book´s key concepts are grounded not on the author´s opinion or even research, but just in your own conscioussness therefore what you discover about yourself being actually real and not just believing perspectives or thoughts.

@Javfly33 I'm currently reading that one, only on chapter 2 tho. Its fantastic so far. 

Anyone here read "The power of habit" by any chance? If so whatya think of it. o.O

2 hours ago, fridjonk said:

Anyone here read "The power of habit" by any chance? If so whatya think of it.

One of the most important books I have ever read out of 100 or so. I highly recommend it :D

I have found Think and Grow Rich, Authentic Happiness, and The 150 Healthiest Foods most useful for me currently. But Starting to read more and more. 

1. Books read maybe, 50-100 I have to keep better track going forward

Most impactful books...

1. The untethered Soul by Michael Singer -Helped me to bridge my intellect with my energy and understand my ego and awareness to a higher degree

2. Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene - Helped me to understand a lot about human nature, and how to ego disrupts what would otherwise be happy and fulling lives and careers. I really enjoy the formatting of Roberts books. Each chapter has a biographical account related to a certain 'Law' followed by analysis, tips, psychology, how to integrate and transcend these traits within yourself as well as how to deal with others who are expressing negative traits/ laws

3. And recently I read a short and easy book by Vernon Howard called 'The Magic Of Your Personal Mind Power'. Super easy read, but with super practical ways of changing your thoughts and realizing how much power we have to control the course of our lives and actions. Great read! (Also his book The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power is a great intro/ refresher for those interested in mysticism that is practical)

However, I don't think I can really give like my top 3 because I read books to solve problems in my live, and to expand my awareness map. Each books usefulness in my opinon exists because my mind is triangulating the book given my database with each book I read. Context changes with more insight over time. David Richo's books on relationships and past traumas have helped me, and Sheldon Kopp's book "Mirror Mask and Shadow" help me to accept and forgive myself for mistakes in the past, and to understand and forgive others in my life and society. 

Happy reading! 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

spiritual enlightenment the damnedest thing - it will crush some part of your ego for sure and leave you totally empty (at least that's what happned to me) - very hard to swallow - since we all live in our bubble of "my story"

neil strauss the game and the truth - remove all the ilussion created by mainsteram about female-male dynamics (however the game is just good hint how it started - but the game itself evloved so much from that time that it's not usefull anymore as any form of guidance, just an introdaction and inspration)

The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance - Gallwey, W. Timothy - Iwish I had read it so much sooner, it would save me so much unnecessary self-criticize ...

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts - self -biased bible

Osho - many, helped me realize that there is nothing wrong with me by nature - the society is a sick creation, + he is like a father for me

Edited by OmniYoga

Hey there, rNOW! What a great conversation starter! 

A) Over the past 5 years I've read 359 self-help books, by making it a priority to scour the field and develop a comprehensive mental blueprint. 

1. As a Man Thinketh by James Allen. This is a 40-or-so page book that's very inspiring. The core idea is that you shape your life with your thoughts. I'd recommend this to anyone who's into self-help.

2. Deep Work by Cal Newport. Only trivial work gets done when one is distracted by phone notifications, other people, and whatever keeps you from focusing. Meaningful work happens when you mark out specific blocks of time in your schedule, eliminating all distractions, and concentrating wholly on the task at hand. 

3. Napoleon the Great by Andrew Roberts. Now this is a giant, 800-page book, but it's a very inspiring account of Napoleon's frenetic activity and force of character. I believe it's important to balance the other-worldly consciousness work that Leo shares, with being in the world and doing things. Yes, it may all be an illusion to the lot of us on this forum, but it's not for most people. Life is truly an amazing gift, and a game to be played masterfully! 

@Frode actually successful people often recommend biographies,
and I think they're awesome if written in egoless maner (Phil Knihgt for example), rather than deifying own character and the overate the importance of it

that surprising choice from 359 books for me, i am at 200 :D

17 hours ago, Loving Radiance said:

Faythe's first post (above) is a link to a get rich quick scheme, smells fishy in here, just saying

thanks, taken care of. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus