modmyth

METACOG: Theory, Practice, Insights, Inquiry

171 posts in this topic

So, I'm starting this journal as a form of condensing/ expressing/ making legible what I've written over the past 4 years what is the accumulation of my own life's work, for the end of a cycle of about... 17 years(?). Although if you want to get technical, this process started when I was much younger (being a former prodigy and all).

EVERYONE WANTS THE PULPIT: My main motivation for writing it here is that I already have a ton of content that I've written for myself. Therein lies the issue: the way I write for myself. vs. how I write for an audience (actual or imagined). When I write for myself, I don't bother elucidating on a lot of ideas; I write in a hyper dense, hyperconceptual sort of style naturally. Nothing at all to make it more palatable or accessible.. because I don't need that. But regardless, what I write here will probably have more of that feel than my other, more personal journal.

So in the spirit of prompting myself to sort out of my own ideas/ concepts/ practices here into the most cohesive, most accessible whole, while having none of the unnecessary bits or fluff....

METACOG (beyond thinking + thinking about thinking): I journalled about this a little, but the term "metacognition" came to me at the time, about 4 years ago, as a sort of cohesive vision/ spirit. I realize the term has already been claimed/ created by psychology for quite a long time (since the mid 70s), and as a result now, neuroscience/ the artificial intelligence field. Although covering a lot of the same spectrum of topics, how others are using this term (except in the most general theoretical way) is not how I'm using the term. (On a side note, I am attached to the term, have emotional resonance with it, and would prefer not to let it go).

Practical stuffEverything I do is far more practice oriented, rooted in direct observation, experimentation, personal introspection. I don't have a high opinion of theory that is not rooted in reality; unless literally, the designated function is just for it be aesthetic, to look pretty. Some people are good are making nice sounding theory; I may be one of those people (I have a systematizing mind), but this is not intended to be that.

Anyway, I have a lot customized practices and material, from things which are about doing "more simple" practices in a very basic way, and practices that are much more complex. A lot of focus is on understanding my own practices, other people's practices, the purpose behind practices in general, the WHY behind it, pared down as much as humanly possible. I've never shared most of it; I was never sure about how much use or interest this would be to anyone but me; but it's like my own life story, I have to get it out of me. 

In revision, I want to see the degree to which what I have written stands up to the test that is reality, which is other peoples' needs, interests, concerns, etc. I already know all this stuff (and have for a loooong time; it's IS me in a sense; and so there's no reason to write it down for myself. :D

Edited by modmyth

THE IVORY TOWER IS ON FIRE: Two more priorities...

1) So I will also commit to integrating and writing about my own private practice in a public way, for the purpose of making sure theory is well integrated, so examples from my life and how I apply my own ideas will be here. I don't think this will work properly otherwise. If this gets fairly exhibitionistic in feel by both technical definitions... that's actually not my intent, or it is completely secondary.  My first intent is to study everything as an object/ phenomenon of consciousness and work out its proper place within the greater scheme of things; everything is is sublimated to this.

2)  As a sort of an extension of a personal commitment done in a public way, I will also commit more to observing people's practices, whether here or people who are putting their work forth in a professional. I tend not to keep track of what's out there as much otherwise... and there is quite a lot to keep track of.

"The Limitations of Language" is just your Psyche/ On Poetry:

I'm pretty frustrated at what I've written in retrospect. If this is supposed to match my standards for what should be, it does not. But then, what does or has? I have learned so much from other people, but say with philosophical texts especially, the amount of time and effort it takes to be making your own thoughts clear basically by writing it out is unacceptable. I am and have been totally willing to spend a great deal of timing and energy parsing through people's written thoughts, but I have a different standard for myself. You could say that I have a different aesthetics of knowledge in certain aspects, not in the overall vision of it, but that I think it should be taken to the most logical extreme.

I think my issue straight up comes from a certain lack of mental clarity at the time; not the idea in my head in a completely nonverbal, conceptual sort of way, but my reference base/ system/ choice of language. Sigh. It's an issue of translation.

Of all the stuff that I've written that is the most cogent, it's poetry. Thinking in this form comes to me naturally. I have been asked before how I write the way I do, where my inspiration comes from. My answer is usually that poetry is a more accurate representation of how I think and make associations normally, depending on the style, making multiple cross-associations in a multisensory sort way, referencing imagination and "real reality", being here and then there and there (all at the same time, but then also separately). Poetry is more literal than me being literal! So actually, it is not so much effort as people seem to think, but it is a sort of stream of thought (Poetic Thought TM), like shifting gears. I don't "try to be creative" or try to write good poetry, and when I do, I usually don't think it's very good. It always feels like "trying to hard". (Cue the blank looks, and I wonder yet again if I've said too much about myself.)

On the Separation of Art vs. Knowledge:

I have a very, very old school view of poetry, in a way. I have always gotten the sense that most people think of it as a past time for teenagers, a dead art. I take it pretty seriously. You can disregard the conventions of punctuation and grammar and present thought in a more dense and clear form. The spirit of poetry proper has directness and immediacy of experience to it; it impresses itself upon you; when it goes right, it seizes you completely. But people think that poetry is just for being aesthetic and being pretty and making people feel something (a decorative art), as opposed to being a particular sort of vehicle for transmitting and encoding information, knowledge. These things are not, should never have become, separate.

So this is a case where I could use my anger as well as exposing myself in favour of my long term goals. I'll just post stuff even if it doesn't quite stand up. Got to start somewhere, etc. It'll get better. Or else I'll waste too much energy in this stupid conflict. 

Edited by modmyth

A Quick (but very incomplete) Overview of Psyche:

Generally speaking, the more cogent a psychological system is (referring to people’s minds in this case), the more tightly structured the rules are, and the stronger the distinction is between "inside" and "outside" the system (or inside/ outside a mind, which is a completely arbitrary distinction). Usually then, there is a set of rules and regulations that you cannot breach without suffering a serious set of psychological and emotional consequences to it, mainly, it's perceiving the loss of control as a fundamental threat to your sense of self, so that your whole sense of self, a sense of security and safety and meaning is dependent on this system, and the loss of this is serious affair. So you can't really casually step outside this system: Think of it as if you were tangled within a spider's web, a massive web of thoughts and beliefs and feelings that have been convoluted to the point that it is impossible to gain any perspective about it for a few reasons. You're too close to it, it's nearly impossible to get a clear view of understanding when you're so close (there are ways, however). It's by gaining a sense of space conceptually, that you gain understanding and perspective, period. Otherwise there is no perspective. Something has to be differentiated from something else. 

(The following is a hyperbuddhist sentiment which basically amounts to, chill the fuck out a bit): So assume we're not the contents of mind, the configuration of our psyches is not everything that makes us up, not our experiences, not our interpretations or judgements. Can't we loosen our grip on psyche a little bit? So much of our suffering is caused by our inability to relax our attachment to our psychological habits, the configuration of our thoughts and beliefs. We associate with it so strongly, and it's hard to imagine any other way of doing it? There's many ways to disidentify from psyche just enough just long and thoroughly enough to be able to clean the slate. Ok, this is where I think it starts getting convoluted. Say you manage to clean your psyche of everything that is weighing you down. You still need to re-enter mindspace, and engage with other people who live in mindspace, which inevitably results in you re-entering mindspace, and then you adopt the perspective of someone who has been both inside and outside it. This actually causes its own convolution, unless you're planning to go live in a cabin in the middle of the woods by yourself for the rest of your life. So.. in leaving and re-entering continually, you’ve gained a different perspective. But so long as you live in society and with other people, you need a psyche, period (or something that functions as an ego, identity). Which means that “post-enlightenment” (whether going through one or a series of multiple enlightenments), we still need to learn how to manage psychological configurations, including what's called the "no mind" state. 

As an absolute, singular function, no-mind is great for certain situations. But in other situations, for other purposes, the attachment and fixation to it (as a sort of object of consciousness, an absolute end goal with nothing else deliberately structured in relation to it) makes absolutely no sense. For example, fight or flight triggers a no-mind state, as does physical exhaustion. These situations require an absolute reactiveness and attentiveness to your physical reality or any other sort of stimulus, whether internal, external, from any source, (it doesn't matter much honestly), so responding to this situation in a conceptual way is really slow and useless. The rationalizing/ thought producing aspect tends to just shut off anyway. As moderns, we’re not used to moving in aconceptual space, and if we can’t leave it properly when say... faced with a survival situation.... we're screwed. It's become unfamiliar, generally us moderns don't know how to engage with raw reality in the most efficient and direct way anyway, which in this case, just means raw stimuli. And so it becomes yet another thing you can fixate on and obsess about in a very goal orientated kind of way… just like anything else, really. It's a waste of everyone's time.

Consider this possibility instead. Psyche itself is not the enemy. We just have trouble managing it well and understanding it in a direct way (which is outside of thought). Aside from not really managing it in a mindful way by default, when we practice simple "mindfulness", that is practicing awareness of our thoughts and emotions and sensations, it is not enough to undo the amount of damage caused by having the psyches which have arguably only grown more complex, convoluted, and fractured as a result of…. existing in the collective echo chamber which is civilization. Practically speaking, this is our inherited values, from society, our parents, our peers, that structure the way we think and feel, in the sense that our social conditioning generally sets the parameters, restricting the range of possible thoughts, emotions, and experiences we can have. And then, even when trying to figure out what we want (goal-object orientation), there's the tendency to be looped back into the social matrix, while still being delusional about the degree to which our goals and habits are influenced by our environment. (Not always though, this is not the source goal).   

Thanks to Buddhism, we have trouble understanding "no-mind" is just one of many states which actually enables psyche to function optimally while we are still existing, breathing, and functioning as it is. In order for the psyche to work optimally, to be the most suited for our expansion and development as beings at this moment in time, in order to achieve our goals, to help us understand others better, it just needs to not be getting in our way constantly, we need to not be tripping over it all the time. Psyches must be constructed and maintained in a way which it is adapted (and is continually adapting) to our surroundings and reality, external stimuli, cultural milieu, the current state of our emotions and thoughts. And psyches (or aspects of psyche) must be deliberately destroyed or curated in order to maintain an efficient working system. (Arguably this is an ongoing process, but becomes more naturalized as time goes on.)

***The purpose of psyche, in its structure and function, is to serve your goals and ideals, so it should be completely alignment and service to the spirit of your goals. There should be absolutely nothing more and nothing less: that is the gold standard. If it works so well, you can forget that it is even there, that you have any psychological infrastructure at all. And so, psyches can and should be constantly changing in direct relation to conscious prioritization, and all aspects of psyche must be made accessible/ open. Otherwise problems are inevitable in absolute sense. And by the way, having ideals, in this point of time, especially in "first world cultures", comes with its own set of problems, which only seems to get more fractured and convoluted as time goes on. Not saying people don’t get stuff done; but at what cost emotionally, and also, we could be accomplishing so much more.

An Important Retrospective: I’d like to add that the goal should be being completely conscious (or as conscious as humanly possible) of functioning inside and outside of thought at the same time, if you can manage it. For the purpose of functioning optimally inside society, and in the future as it is coming into being. You're going to go live outside and meditate in a cave? You don't need any of this shit then. But if you have a lot you need to get done, and the way thought as we understand it just doesn't cut it? ......

Edited by modmyth
paradoxically, this is a sort of an intellectual no-mindedness.

Having people who understand this (and some other things I will share) could start an intellectual revolution, theoretically bigger than anything that has happened since ......

And although technically you don't need to understand how stuff works on a theoretical basis in order to function more optimally, I don't believe this is the way of the future. The eye of perception itself, as we share it individually and collectively, is due for further refinement. Our understanding and awareness of consciousness, thought, language, and the purpose, function, and sheer capacity of all of these aspects is due for a serious overhaul.

However, I'm not even sure how well I'm articulating this, because articulating it well is relative to being understood. I guess we'll see how this goes. :ph34r:

Intro to "Catch-Release-Retrieve", as a Principle:
For Ideals: If you love your ideals, kill them and see if they come back, and if they do, how they do. Anything worth keeping can survive that sort of conceptual death, and is not exterminated by the ebb and flow of time and changing circumstances, but is made greater in its reincarnated form. More present. More alive. (This is one way of evading psychological entropy on a personal (and at a larger scale, collective) level. To always be watching, moving, and processing attentively in "real time" [aka. being present].)

(A note from Oct. 20/ 19) The nature of me going into a trance has shifted profoundly in the years that I’ve practiced it, to the point that I doubt the efficacy of it anymore for me; if it even serves any purpose. The difference between being in a trance and not seems pretty marginal, in observing it directly. Isn’t the human subconscious (and systems that depend on working around the limitations of such) predicated on hiding and being able to hide shit from yourself? Playing lost and found with yourself. (Retrospective: this is the basis for catch-release-retrieve as a psychological mechanism. Theoretically, if you have no subconscious, if you are conscious to the point that everything is accessible, then way you learn and process experientially must change and become something completely different/ unrecognizable. This should be absolute.)

In retrospect: This idea or concept is the basis behind magick proper, and essentially learning as we understand it (at least on a cultural, collective level, this is the level we are at). We absorb information; we use a sort of release/ retrieval process.... which is pretty much never examined directly as a psychological function. Not sure if other people understand what this means, or what could potentially be done with this. Figures that collectively we will be stuck with this process for quite a while. 

There is a lot going on here at the "release" level especially, which is not examined directly, because it's no longer an object of mind (and we do tend to identify with mind). It is accessible though, if you know where to look. It is distortion in "mindspace" (whatever you want to call it), or flaws in the way that psyche is constructed period, which trips up this process. So we catch (this means to hold onto an idea or intention as an object of mind), throw a line out to the "subconscious" to try to retrieve something (for example, a piece of information), and then retrieve what comes back. At this point, because we've retrieved it, we can do something with it, typically now we can examine it directly/ introspect on it, etc.

I have been doing my best to examine this blankspace phase carefully, because some interesting stuff happens here, and around its "perimeters", specifically after you release an idea and right before it returns. (You want to talk about the limitations of language? "Quotes" around phrases like "mindspace" and " because I'm stuck with metaphors for space to explain the position of phenomenon in mind relative to other phenomenon; honestly, it's fine. "Quotes" is to help me keep track of what I'm doing. But it's a laugh to read like... AI scientists who want to purge the flaws of human language by removing all metaphor. Metaphor is at the root of human verbal language. Good fucking luck with that. Has anyone read the Julian Jaynes "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind"? He touches on this briefly; and I'm sure it shows up elsewhere)

**"Everything" doesn't mean everything absolute, it means existing in a state of absolute psychological/ emotional openness and resolution so that "everything" that is potentially accessible to you (at that moment, within the relatively short time span that is an individual life, which we could call the current level of development of your "soul") is accessible. Have you ever wondered why not all "enlightened" people are created equal, and also noticed the scope of their reach plus the areas of expertise/ interest varies greatly?  Also: yes, there are ways to circumvent the limitations of this process I just described here, the limitations or "normal" trajectory of one lifetime, given that all other factors remain relatively stable. No, it doesn't involve playing mindgames or arguing with yourself or with me. But don't just take my word for it...)

The top bit is the only part that I've written that, in retrospect, doesn't seem overly myopic in the way that I chose to frame it conceptually. Not sure if the rest of what I wrote is useless in the greater scheme of things. Figuring it out. xD

Edited by modmyth

3 hours ago, modmyth said:

The difference between being in a trance and not seems pretty marginal, in observing it directly. Isn’t the human subconscious (and systems that depend on working around the limitations of such) predicated on hiding and being able to hide shit from yourself? Playing lost and found with yourself.

You've just described "spiritual sleep"? and "buffers" using Gurdjieff speek. No?

If some/most people couldn't dissociate from life in some way everyday, They would go mad. According to Gurdjieff, ACIM and others. I can see it some,,,,

3 hours ago, modmyth said:

Has anyone read the Julian Jaynes "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind"? He touches on this briefly; and I'm sure it shows up elsewhere)

Yes, well kinda. I bought the book years ago and have read some in it,,,, interesting ideas. I may see if there is anything on YouTube to refresh my memory. A good review maybe.

@modmyth You've livened this place up.

Im glad you're here. 🙂

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

17 hours ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

You've just described "spiritual sleep"? and "buffers" using Gurdjieff speek. No?

If some/most people couldn't dissociate from life in some way everyday, They would go mad. According to Gurdjieff, ACIM and others. I can see it some,,,,

Yes, well kinda. I bought the book years ago and have read some in it,,,, interesting ideas. I may see if there is anything on YouTube to refresh my memory. A good review maybe.

@modmyth You've livened this place up.

Im glad you're here. 🙂

Not familiar with him; being introduced to new things all the time here. What would you suggest is the best way to get acquainted with his ideas?

How did you find it as a read? It definitely has its moments; and it what it also definitely has is... a lot of guts; the scope and the reach of it, for what was written as a scholarly work.

Also really appreciate you reading what I've written here; I wasn't expecting anyone to have the patience/ inclination to read it TBH. :ph34r:

Edited by modmyth

METACOG: A list of issues/ obstacles facing me: (possibly repeating myself some more)

1) A general issue: my psyche has been in a process of ordering and reordering itself, both spontaneously and purposefully, through adapting to life, resolving and releasing traumas, becoming reintegrated, etc. The lifespan for the use of a system (especially one that is conceptual in nature) has been frustratingly short, for this reason. How this goes it that I'll have written about  a subject as it appears, and a short time later, sometimes in a matter of months, I find it completely useless (for personal use), so I am no longer able to measure or test the value of it in that way anymore. I have to do a retrospective assessment. For other people's use, maybe it's a different matter. So then, it becomes a matter or reconfiguring information and being able to construct the right framing (like parenthesis) around what's basically the same info. That is possibly the hardest part, right now. Not having the knowledge and the awareness, but striking the right note, finding the right approach. Simplicity, efficiency/ conciseness, clarity and accessibility is always the gold standard when it comes to the gold standard when it comes to knowledge and presentation of it; it's an aesthetic in and of itself.
I've always detested the phrase “those who can't do, teach”. Every teacher worth their salt can “do” pretty goddamned well, or else they're no example worth following.

2) The issue of figuring out what it is that people collectively need, vs. what I think they need, and what the few vs. the many need. Most of this stuff here is on the liminal/ conceptual cutting edge (both literally and figuratively); so it's doubtful that it's going to be populist stuff.

3) I worry/ am concerned that I won't be understood by the people who I most need to understand me, constantly, with this particular work. I am afraid that as an exercise in “Iamvrysmrt” look-at-me-I-can-put-together-complex-abstract-ideas, this is relatively time and energy consuming, and the value I get from it is knowing that one way or another, I'll get it into the right hands, and I will make myself comprehensible, one way or another. Suppose I have a fear about not being understood, in general. Also, an emotional ambivalence about my life's work, or a very important part of it. All of this is done, is intended, as an act of service.

4) Trying to figure out the most digestible format/ mode of presentation.

5) Still trying to link up theory with practice in the most cohesive way possible, which is also pretty difficult, with the ground constantly shifting and what not.

6) All things considering, I'm pretty happy to see ideas leave my head and enter “social reality”.

"DIFFERENT WIRING": What if stuff just works differently with/ on me than it does on other people? I have a billion reasons why this could definitely be a waste of time. What is there to lose? Maybe I am concerned that at least on some level that this won't at all hold up, and I've been holding onto this all as a sort of intellectual insurance policy? (On another level, not concerned at all...  it's how it goes.)

Edited by modmyth

10 hours ago, modmyth said:

Not familiar with him; being introduced to new things all the time here. What would you suggest is the best way to get acquainted with his ideas?

How did you find it as a read? It definitely has its moments; and it what it also definitely has is... a lot of guts; the scope and the reach of it, for what was written as a scholarly work.

Also really appreciate you reading what I've written here; I wasn't expecting anyone to have the patience/ inclination to read it TBH. :ph34r:

Regarding Gurdjieff, I don't recommend his magnum opus All and Everything. They're are many who have studied and drawn from his work such as http://www.chanceandchoice.com/ coauthored by Arnold Keyserling and Ralph Losey. Arnold knew Gurdjieff back in the 1940's. He passed away in 2005. Ralph was a student and friend of Arnold. He is a lawyer who lives in Florida and has continued the School of Wisdom website and his own writing. https://schoolofwisdom.com/.

There are many different lineages from different students. I've been heavily influenced by Maurice Nicoll and John and Elizabeth Bennett. Contemporarily, AH Almaas, 

Ocke de Boer- http://www.higherbeingbodies.com/

and Bruno Martin

IMG_0868.JPG

are some of my favorite students of the Gurdjieff/Ouspensky Work. I got introduced to Julian Jaynes ideas through Ralph Losey and his writing. I put a little more stock in Terence McKenna's ideas than than Julian Jaynes at the moment.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

The Learning/ Creative Cycle: every psychological process involves at least 2 of the following (intention and action); and most often at least 1-2 other processes)). The relationship between two or more of these processes, I had described as normally gaining a sort of psychological momentum and meaning the more that it loops. (e.g. intending something, carrying out an action, dissociating from it, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.) However, many problems arise at different phases.

Duly noted that "psychic residue" tends to start with the intention you place.

"Psychic residue" is what eventually causes psyches to be bogged down, dysfunctional, inert, and in its extreme presence, to eventually become completely unusable or uninhabitable... however you would like to frame it (it is a key part of it; psyche becomes either impossible or completely impractical to navigate through at this point).

1) Intention
2) Observation
3) Action/ Creation (Release)
4) Visualization
5) Disconnection
6) Reflection

(It can be in this order, but not necessarily.)

(My original explanations/ contextualizing about this have to be reworked. Obvious stuff is overly obvious, etc. I guess I can just do this in bits and pieces.)

Edited by modmyth
#4 was missing for some unknown reason, reorganized this

Intention:

In general, the quality of intention ALWAYS dictates the outcome/ range of possible outcomes, no exception. And the better that you are aware of the quality and nature of the intentions you set, the more you can do/ accomplish period. Intention rules the universe; everything, all powers come from this, and are made possible through this. The secrets of the universe reveal themselves through the examination of intention directly (causality, etc.). A very important part of the picture; the first step, nothing happens without it. 

Clarity of Intention: Nothing that you do during the action/ creation phase can compensate for an weakly conceived intention, for what is scattered and not connected to fully, psychologically (mentally & emotionally). A well conceived intention is one that is aimed towards the right mark (which is whatever the goal or objective is), with minimal obstacles in the way of it near its locus or point of origin (for example, contradicting beliefs or rules of mind, particularly unconscious ones that make it difficult or impossible to achieve your intention, which sabotage).

To a great degree, intention is a quality that spontaneously arises, and can very much be an unconscious practice; and it is often the default case of setting intentions. We often only become hyperaware of intention, while generally in the habit of setting unconscious intentions (this is called "being unconscious" in general), when desperately or urgently wanting something, or when something blocks the intention from manifest its outcome (and so it draws attention to itself).   Observe the intentions you set, and consider the degree to which they embody the clarity and force in spirit. It is a good practice in consciousness and developing self awareness to specifically practice developing awareness of ones intentions (which is not just a thought; is moreso like paying attention to the emotion root, the way its directed and the other qualities of it, as well as the thought(s) overlaying this root).

An Inquiry: Picture a time that you really wanted to do something. What did you want? When you recall the feeling of desire, what sensations do you feel in your body and where? The goal is to become more aware of that feeling and to deliberately invoke it when you wish to learn or create anything. (Note: this will make you more like me, and able to do what I do. I need to make sure this is compatible with other people's psyches and goals.) 

Intention in its pure form never arises from “should”, and the intention that arises from this is weaker and reactive. (To myself: clarify this please)

Fun Fact: reading and qualifying intention correctly is how you "read the future". Some people are a lot better at it than others. If you read it correctly, you may come to understand how there is no mystery there. (All the information is there; it's who knows how to read it vs. who thinks they can? Better to know how and when you have absolutely no clue.)

Edited by modmyth

Aconceptual Processing & the Structure of Psychic Elements: I observe and feel all mental and emotional phenomenon as sort of "shapes" or structures in mindspace and the physical body, that tend to be in various degrees of movement or stagnation. That is, I perceive and feel (directly, often, in my body too) the "shape" and overall "qualities" of these aspects first because I've trained myself to see it in this way, as if observing it from the outside.  I can work or observe with these aspects without dealing with language in my own mind whatsoever, which I must imagine sounds pretty strange (aconceptual processing). IDK? This is how I can parse through/ organize vast quantities of information; I flash read the forms/ shapes/ patterns without dealing with the direct; contents of it at all, and don't bother translating it into language form ("reasoning" proper is fucking slow) until I need to. I am very much aware of these process and can observe this (and have been my whole life, in some form or another), which is where my knowledge/ awareness comes from. I suspect mostly everyone who is skilled at dealing with concepts and abstractions has at least some of this, yea? (Also IDK, would appreciate absolutely any input...)

Notes are about the overall "shape" or "form", as well as how these elements tend to interact together in their multitudes, various formations of these elements (in relation to human behaviour in culture), and observed cause/ effects related to this. The intention is to give this information to people who perhaps do not normally have much an outside perspective whatsoever.

(Note: It really is a struggle to find language that isn't like: well, I'm observing the stuff doing the things. These things do the stuff too, and are observing themselves because I'm observing them, and they're observing me in a way. There is no unclarity for me at all at the level of nonthought... some stuff is the same as it was when I was 14, was the same when I was 5 :D. But y'know.)

****On Universal Observation: perform observational style meditation on yourself, perform something like remote viewing; at first: same shit, different pile. Collapsing these distinctions onto themselves until you're just left with functions: same shit, same pile. Same shit.

Edited by modmyth

When people talk about no-mind; I have no idea WTF people are talking about a lot of the time. Like, I think I have a general idea; but I have no idea what it has to do with observed reality (which does include the structure(s) of psyche). I will think about it again, and then again one more time just to make sure that there's nothing that missed because I went over it too quickly; because I have this issue at times. (For the same reason that I make typos.) Are they talking about something like #5??? To what degree do they know directly what they are speaking about? Did it just sound like a good idea? I legitimately don't get it at times, what this thing is and how it necessarily links up (like cause-effect) to being in this desired ideal state all the time. I barely get the appeal of it either. Might as well be speaking about nothing at all, or Santa Claus or something....

I have been spending my whole life trying to consciously understand people, collective thought; and sometimes certain things still make me feel like I just got dropped off on Earth yesterday. This everything being old hat and all.

Utopia... (contra the trend of dystopian thinking)

1) To feel fully seen and to be fully seen (from this source, that source, all source). To be free from the burden of secrets. To feel "universal" love and understanding fully touch every aspect of you.
2) When you never feel alone to face any of your experiences, if you want to be, no matter what they might.
3)To take nothing for granted.
4) To have no imprint on you of anything.
5) Psychological functioning that is traceless, weightless.The complete absence of fixed, blocked emotions and chronic emotions/ thoughts.The absence of psychic residue (which often presents itself as a sort of incoherency).
6) Sustainable ways of living with psyche, ideally through a culturally/ personally transparent development of it. The practice of conscious and self aware ways of living with psyche, from moment to moment.(As a precursor to sustainable ways of living, physically; how do you have one without the other?)
7) technological minimalism, personally, which just means that technology is not a burden in one's personal life or in collective life in general.
8) Perhaps ironically, to be completely deprived of this notion choice in a compassionate way that creates a higher awareness. (related to #4)
9) Being completely free in the expression of thought and emotion (even if only internally, at least at first), of what is deemed appropriate societally,  (theoretically exhaust the expression of certain thought/ emotion fully in this way will completely stop them from becoming subconscious; and adding to the collective unconsciousness as entity)
10) The full connection between intention, action, and awareness (as a sort of triad).
14) The death of the subconscious as an entity. (an eventuality; I predict.)

Edited by modmyth
The turnover for this stuff is way too slow.

A List of Random Stuff (that I may/ may not cover, but posting it will push me to commit to reviewing it at least a few times). My approach used to be more structured, and it worked for me back then as something to reference, even if I didn't really play it by the book (the earliest version of this/ some of this scaffolding goes as far back as even 2008-2015; 2015 marked a radical shift and recontextualization of everything that came before. I would say that I have already underwent yet another shift after this summer. About this summer... a lot of less conceptual/ physical aspect of my approach (aka. more heart-centered) is from then. I'm still processing it. Suppose I should get started and reopen that piece of work. Sigh.)  Let's see how this goes!

I really am still working this out, huh.

Concepts:
flow (my own notes about this)
flow pain/ flow anger (on flow "negative emotions")
thought loops
masses (psycho-emotional blockages that have accumulated psychic weight/ "size" over time)
hooks
the creative-learning cycle (intention, observation, visualization, action/ creation, disconnection, reflection)
hierarchies (emotional-psychological)
the pain cycle
multiple enlightenments
psychological universes/ fields
integration/ disintegration
catch-release-retrieve
the emotional conceptual connection/ mirroring
blockages/ masses
incineration
inspiration
attributes of Spirit/ Source

Techniques:
blocking (juxtaposing/ alternating opposing elements in order to cause psychological collapse or “breakthroughs”)
stillness/ extreme activity
most aspects of the Creative-Learning cycle can be juxtaposed:
action/ disconnection
intention/ observation
intention/ visualization
observation/ disconnection
visualization/ disconnection
intention: goal setting, affirmations, wordless intent, Viking-Z,  
observation: observational meditation of the self, observational focus of the surroundings, “do nothing meditation”
intention-observation: forming questions, multiple inquiry methods, the act of focusing
action: burst activity
disconnection: incineration practices, TRE, Osho’s meditations, high physical energy thought breakers
action-disconnection: intense action is usually needed to trigger disconnection
reflection: gratefulness practices/ journals, emotional journals in general, observational meditation, any thought that is generated in direct response to observation, judgement (observation-reflection)   
5 blocks: 1) intention-building practices 2) disconnection/ incineration practices, 3) visualization 4) reflection practices 5) observational practices

****some of these processes/ ways of thinking very well may be distinct to me, but there is a lot of focus on categorizing, universalizing, and simplifying certain multiple existing processes for my own use, reducing what is pointless redundancy and overcomplexity from my perspective. Maybe others can use it too.

****God some of these techniques are nerdy, and I dunno if it's in a good way. Hypersystemizing brain, etc. xD

Edited by modmyth

Key strategy (Disconnection Practices, Theory of Abreaction): I have a years long practice (let's say 5+ years at this point?) of taking a process or what I call a thought "loop", and then tacking disconnective or interrupting processes onto it in order create a sort of psychological abreaction (to break yourself out of the former thought-emotional process). Then I tend to recenter myself via. setting a conscious intention. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. You can see the functions of psyche being accelerated in this way.

What makes this a bit different is that I like to blow through this process as quickly as it takes to do-the-thing, but it's pretty goddamned chaotic. I have taken these sort of loops and studied them from both the "outside" (structurally) and the "inside".

Anyway, there are other uses for disconnection processes than how I've used it here. The major use for it is wiping the mental slate/ palette of psycho-emotional residue. Before the intention setting process, specifically. I have had this perspective that many ills of the emotional and psychological variety come from this...... positioning from which we place intentions. Is it mind space or is it the quality of the intention itself as a distinct phenomenon? How do you separate the environment (mindspace) from the thing inhabiting it (thoughts proper)? I've never bothered debating this distinction with myself excessively.

Edited by modmyth

CURRENT SNAPSHOT OF MY PERSONAL PRACTICE: Dancing around manically and joyfully and entering the highest of the highest, for whatever is available at this day, this hour, this moment. I find that my energy in this way is almost endless lately, and I just stop after I get bored or exhausted of inspiration or this spontaneous desire to move. I have been favoring physically based practices for a while now, for this purpose. I would say that I'm perpetually getting out of my head, but I don't feel like I'm in much of anything, to be honest. I am simply entering a higher energy state; and some way now, whatever state I "summon" stays with me now. More and more brakes get kicked off. This process is very intentional.

A lot of my psychological techniques as written here centre around breaking out of one conceptual box or another; or understanding these boxes better for the sake of maneuverability. No need to throw out all the boxes out with the bathwater, especially if we can still make use of them (wait... what?).

POSSIBLY PRICELESS LIFE ADVICE, K:

I'm doing a repost of this poem, to examine the philosophy and sentiment behind it. It was written flippantly in about 30 seconds (Nov. 7), but the spirit and truth behind it is there. I called it "Shitty" because I don't personally find that it matches what I find to be aesthetic sounding language; but aesthetics is always truth in form first; and in a way, there is an aesthetic quality to this effortless flippancy. 

Shitty Poetry:
Any activity is a meditation,
Any space can be enlightened,
Everything is flow,
Some flows are shittier to be in than others

(Seriously, who writes poems and also performs literary analysis on it for the reader? I do. xD I thought it was important enough to do though...)

Any activity is a meditation:
(Take the functions of meditation, say for example, the observational capacity learned from meditation, and apply to absolutely everything else in your life. Basically, pay attention to shit you're doing properly, in the spirit of cultivating this effortless state of high consciousness, neither pushing or pulling away from one.
Want something powerful and possibly subversive? Take something designated "bad", "less than ideal", or "low consciousness", and apply the same seriousness of intention and observation to it that you would, doing something proper. Watch what happens. You cannot stay as you are, having unconscious habits; it breaks apart sooner rather than later. But like a lot of approaches that are more direct rather than roundabout, there is the very real possibly of conflict and possibly being unable to stop you from turning against yourself. Note that this is more like a purging or bringing an existing, relatively static conflict to light: you already have turned against yourself. Actually, I would recommend it in the cases where you're trying really hard to stop doing something, but the force and repression you're exercising against yourself keeps backfiring so that either it doesn't work at all, and you can't restrain yourself from the 'bad' stuff, or you manage to not do the 'bad' stuff, but somehow you still feel like shit? If you manage to stop doing 'bad' or unwanted stuff, and you still feel like shit, it's likely the weight of judgement inside your psyche. These things have 'mass' and weight to them, even if you're not aware of it at any given moment. Aka. Things that are subconscious, or within the domain of unawareness. (Other life protip: if one thing doesn't work, try doing the exact opposite. You might be surprised how many times this has worked, particularly when you do one thing and then do the opposite thing ASAP. This also causes psychological abreaction, see two posts above.)
Any space can be enlightened.
(All spaces, including places that are designated spaces of lesser consciousness, should be treated as worthy spaces. ESPECIALLY these spaces. Oh my god. Do you know what kinds of issues we could solve in this world if we did this, even if just as a practice for a while, to see what effects it had? Treat a low consciousness place with all the attention and significance of a high consciousness place, while being aware and entrained in the reality of it, why observing it, and feeling the energy of it, and generally being present in it as much as possible. This is powerful (and not novel at all). The energy and the effect of the place inevitably changes. It's easy and well and good to treat a space that has already been consecrated as such; but to do that with the rest of the world?)
Everything is Flow
(Everything is in a state of flux or movement, everything is subject to change. I was referring to all psychological and emotional elements here, but this applies to physical form (this notion that everything is energy/ vibration). Even "psychological masses", which are relatively inert unconscious psycho-emotional blockages, are in a state of flux, one way or another. Also, this idea that "everything is flow" also applies to ideals of all sorts, both those that are objects of mind (associations) and those that are completely aconceptual. I'll give an example of an aconceptual ideal; say I create a specific thought form, like I am visualizing the state of the ideal Earth. The spirit or energy behind this is the ideal that is an aconceptual aspect; you could call this a feeling or a "high vibration", I guess. But the purpose of drawing attention to this, is that even these such things are flows, and as a flow, it is in a state of flux or movement of sorts. Discerning this "movement" is a relatively high level skill. You can think of it as static, if  you want, I guess. When we translate this into concept proper (as in ideas that are objects of mind), we run into the number of problems associated with holding static ideals (because of the belief in them) and the inevitable psychological decay and stagnation caused by such a practice.  
Facto: sigilization as a magickal practice is a way of accessing and working with ideals, of bridging the gap between conceptual ideals and aconceptual processing (imo the assessments of what's going on with this type of process are a bit unsophisticated, and are usually just attributed to the subconscious. Yes, but what happens there? Anyway, Austin Osman Spare pioneered this as a modern practice; Spare was a genius. )
Some flows are shittier to be in than others.
(This is pretty self explanatory, isn't it? Just because you feel trapped in something, in a specific emotion, a specific thought system or thought, doesn't mean that the whole of it isn't in a constant state of flux, although the feeling of stuckness is often tied directly to the perceived immobility of the associated circumstances, yea? Maybe this seems a bit pedantic, but knowing this can help you find the "out" to any situation, including issues that exist purely at the conceptual level. Be it that you don't need to be stuck with a certain pattern for about...20 years to be able to see this. It happens at the micro as well as the macro level. We're not used to observing very minuscule changes, usually.)

Edited by modmyth

THE WAY OF CHAOS/ PLAYING WITH FIRE:

A Disconnection Practice: Thought Breakers:

This is the term I use for any process which disrupts a thought while it is occurring, as its being experienced in the present moment.

I have used this extensively for the purpose of either leaving a specific thought loop, which is a sort of chronic thought pattern where a certain type of thought keeps repeating itself over and over again (usually in conjunction with specific underlying emotions, including emotional triggers coming from another thought or some external trigger). So in the end, you very much feel stuck with it, which makes a chronic or habitual loop, often one that accumulates a great deal of psychic weight because of being reinforced over and over again due to sheer volume of repetition. Usually this has a basis in underlying emotional dysfunction or trauma (which in turn, often has a physiological cognate that is tied up in association with it).

In my experience, if you interrupt a specific thought pattern enough times, you can just stop the process period. Just keep doing it over and over. Sometimes it works the first time, sometimes it doesn't. This is my preferred alternative to waiting it out (as a process of positioning oneself and observing from the outside).
The main purpose of this is to achieve the specific ends of saving time/ energy.I have used observational style meditation for other things rather than purging ones mindspace (namely, for observing).

Example of activities which can function as a thought breakers:  things like sprints, dance, jumping around manically (like jumping jacks), TRE (trauma release exercises). sexual activity and orgasm in general (I've always wondered about this: if you can manage to have sex and focus on other stuff and this is not any challenge at all, you're probably not doing it right...). Breathing exercises (if they are intense enough, although this is said to be dangerous, so I'm not recommending it either way). I'm sure there are other things I haven't thought about, what matters is the physical energy level and exertion required.
Disadvantage: you look like an insane person.

Yea, just get up from whatever you're doing, and do something that's physically high energy enough where it is impossible to either think thoughts or hold a normal thought process.

Combine this with other techniques/ processes to a very interesting and quick effect. For example, combine a high energy, physical disconnection process with another process deliberately (for example, practicing visualization). Then, Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat. You are making your own "thought loop" of sorts here, and when you are disruptive enough, and combine this, this has the power to easily overcome thought processes and patterns that are more stagnant, slow moving, unconscious, and entropic in nature. Also, disconnection processes cleanse whatever is on your psychic palette, or what's in your immediate psychic space, or what is also called conscious space.

Edited by modmyth

A Note about Visualization:

Visualization is most powerful when done (arguably) in a multisensory way, and is completely liberated from “mind” as it is commonly understood as, or the sort of conceptual loops, habits and patterns we identify with. (This is what I would personally call the absence of “ego”, but I hesitate to call it that because of how loaded the term is now. It seems like often the only thing people's definitions have in common, having observed some conversations about it, is that it's a very bad thing that is getting in your way from getting the other thing (which apparently is this ultimate state of mind). Then I go back and read some of the original texts, and do not get the same sense of weight and meaning at all. Of course not. There's only been a thousand years or two between when these ideas were recorded and now. We're dealing with the same crap and a whole lot of extra crap on top of that. Keep in mind, there is an extra layer of unfamiliar culture and the extra language barrier/ possible misunderstanding and limits of translation on top of that. IMO it's not worth obsessing overly about all these details and pegging down “the truth” in this way, but it is intelligent to be mindful of your own use of language relative to that of others, relative to the culture you are in, relative to other past cultures (the last thing only obviously if your knowledge base extends that far.) Also, if you care to, and you are capable of doing so, technically you can "remote view" and access these original meanings, either in isolation or sensing it through the texts proper. I would not. I think it's a waste of damned time. Technically everything we need is right here.

However, the idea is that the basic mechanisms of psychological entrapment haven't changed, right? Yes and no...

So an interesting thing happens here in a state of psychological resolution, visualization itself appears to enter a state of higher FLOW, so that what you produce in your “mind” (which has now been purified, just coming from whatever space you are now as a conscious being directing your conscious intent, or what here seems to be called no-mind(?)) has much more is in about the same higher energy range as visions proper than whatever would come before (or just slightly under it, but once you reach a state of absolute psychological resolution, all of these functions even out and normalize, in a way, because there is no “inside” or “outside” your mind). (Visions proper meaning experiences that are as powerful as having physical vision and experience, if not more powerful and hypervivid).

Multisensory Visualization: You can invoke all the five senses in visualization. By the way, one of the end goals for human development IMO, is to greatly intensify the richness and vividness of all the senses, as well as the "higher senses" (what we can psychic functioning). Not that you can so easily pull these two aspects apart.

(e.g. Want to do something like what Tesla did, in significance and scope?  Visualize like Tesla. Aim for the sky even if it seems impossible or horribly unreasonable. Don't fetishize your heroes and "great people" without understanding them, unless you don't at all care to become more.)

Edited by modmyth
learning how to speak in my own language which kind of concidences with other people's languages// there is a crossover