Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thetruthseeker

Living on my own - advice welcome

7 posts in this topic

So I’m 33 now, but never lived on my own. Always with friends, family, girlfriends etc 

For the first time Im now living on my own - it’s weird and more challenging than I thought 

should I stick this out, because it will grow me the most? 

Any advice or tips welcome 

2 hours ago, Thetruthseeker said:

Yes. I'm talking from personal experience. Spend at least 8~10 months dealing solely with your own conflicts. Make good use of this time in which you don't have the right to blame anyone else. It's priceless.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya thanks! 
I know this probably sounds a ‘newbie’ issue... I’m just surprised at first how different living alone feels. 
I get the feeling it’s for the best though 

Lived alone for 9 years, but I'm usually a solitude loving person so it was a welcome move for me. I've concluded that you learn a lot about the world when you live alone and learn a lot about yourself when you live with people. 

So if I have one advice, though, is to build some neighborhood connections, people whom you can contact in emergencies. It sucks when you're sleeping alone in your apartment, well over midnight and your room is flooded because the balcony pipe is jammed with concrete, your mattress is wet and you wake up not knowing what the hell just happened or where to begin asking for help. 

Then there is a time when thieves break in and hide behind curtains. OR when the bathroom gutter back-flows bringing a swarm of flying cockroaches in the living room. OR when your stove gives out mid-cooking while having someone over for dinner. Or when you have to clean the ceiling fan. Or when you meet with an accident and cannot walk. And such other tiny struggles, nothing much else. 

And one more: Try to be alone, really alone: without your phone or TV or anything to distract you from your own thoughts. 

18 hours ago, Thetruthseeker said:

How do you like to make decisions?

E.g. cointoss, talking to people, making a pros and cons list, mulling it over?

The reason I ask is that we have limited background information to go on here.

Can we really trust the advice of well-meaning forum users who've only read a few lines about us?

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

@rNOW thieves, cockroaches ... sounds like fun! Ha. 

ok will build neighbourhood connections! Thanks! ?

With roommates you get to develop interpersonal and conflict resolution skills not to mention work on a whole host of other fears. IMO, living with others fosters the most growth. Sometimes we crave long periods of solitude though, in which living alone would make the most sense. As long as you're not avoiding something, it doesn't matter what you do.