Rasheed

How much fruits and vegetables per day?

44 posts in this topic

How much fruits and vegetables to eat per day? 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Rasheed At least 5 portions per day. There is good reason for that recommendation too, but I can't remember what it is right now. But 5 a day is good - more than a lot of people get.

30 minutes ago, Nickyy said:

@Rasheed At least 5 portions per day. There is good reason for that recommendation too, but I can't remember what it is right now. But 5 a day is good - more than a lot of people get.

How much grams is 1 portion? 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

28 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

How much grams is 1 portion? 

A cup of vegetables is a serving, or a whole fruit, except maybe grapes and kiwis. Two kiwis is a portion and a large handful of grapes is a portion.

6 minutes ago, Nickyy said:

A cup of vegetables is a serving, or a whole fruit, except maybe grapes and kiwis. Two kiwis is a portion and a large handful of grapes is a portion.

So, 5 portions is ~ 600grams?

5 portions both fruits and vegetables or 5 portion of fruits and 5 portion of vegetables?

@Rasheed it doesn't have to be that strict :) not in my opinion anyway. 

Just eat some fruit and veg when you remember. About 5 a day, so have an apple a banana, a salad a side of vegetables and a vegetable juice. Or something like that. 

@Rasheed Hi, Im very passionate on the area of nutrition, Having studied and experimented personally with multiple diets and nutritional perspectives  what i can say is that nutrition is highly individual and based on your personal context (Environment , Genes expression, stress levels amongst others)

That being said there are some principles that we all can follow. 

I have to profoundly disagree that humans are in fact herbivores, we could in fact survive eating only this foods but we can't thrive as . @Shiva mentioned above. 

Most of our produce (fruits and vegetables) is grown under acid water and synthetic fertilizers in soil NPK fertilizers to be specific  (EVEN IF ORGANIC) 

Our world and soil is dramatically different from what it used to be, and so are the fruits and vegetables that grow from that soil. 

From my personal experience my digestive health improved dramatically by REDUCING the amount of vegetables consumed

(Especially those that grow above ground ) as these vegetables  tend to have more self defense mechanisms known as anti-nutrients - 

Vegetables that grow below ground are safest for human consumption especially if your digestive system is already compromised from years of messing things up 

My recommendation is that you consume vegetables every other day or so in small quantities avoid DAILY CONSUMPTION 

(Vegetables such as carrots,potatos,squash,tomatos,cucumber) can be consumed in small doses 

Increase your Ruminant consumption such as (cow,elk,bison,deer) preferably from grass fed pastured sources. This dramatically affects the composition of the flesh you are eating on a dramatic level - Specially the ratio of omega 3 fatty acids and polyunsaturated fat balance. 

Ruminants have multiple stomachs that can filter all the crap that is in our current environment (we only have one ) . 

So for you the short answer is Dont over consume vegetables daily if you do, consume the ones I mention and be sure to consume sufficient high quality animal protein (100g of protein a day if you are a healthy male) 

Most of your nutrients and minerals can be obtained from shilajit Resin which has a much bigger bioavailability for your body and doesn't generate an immune response like vegetables do - Life changing.

This topic runs really deep to give generalist advice which can be dangerous, so select who you listen to when it comes to nutrition 

Check the book "How to heal your metabolism" by kate deering. 

Also you can follow @mattblackburn on IG for amazing yellow tier nutritional advice 

Depends on your energy expenditure. I would check out "intuitive eating", asking your body if a certain food is appropriate for it at a given time.

When it comes to veggies, generally the more the better, but there are also upper limits where you dont want too much of a certain vegetable in a given serving. I would try to get as much variety (food colors) in fruits and veggies you can and experiment which ones make you feel the best. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

22 minutes ago, MartinMaggio said:

@Rasheed Hi, Im very passionate on the area of nutrition, Having studied and experimented personally with multiple diets and nutritional perspectives  what i can say is that nutrition is highly individual and based on your personal context (Environment , Genes expression, stress levels amongst others)

That being said there are some principles that we all can follow. 

I have to profoundly disagree that humans are in fact herbivores, we could in fact survive eating only this foods but we can't thrive as . @Shiva mentioned above. 

Most of our produce (fruits and vegetables) is grown under acid water and synthetic fertilizers in soil NPK fertilizers to be specific  (EVEN IF ORGANIC) 

Our world and soil is dramatically different from what it used to be, and so are the fruits and vegetables that grow from that soil. 

From my personal experience my digestive health improved dramatically by REDUCING the amount of vegetables consumed

(Especially those that grow above ground ) as these vegetables  tend to have more self defense mechanisms known as anti-nutrients - 

Vegetables that grow below ground are safest for human consumption especially if your digestive system is already compromised from years of messing things up 

My recommendation is that you consume vegetables every other day or so in small quantities avoid DAILY CONSUMPTION 

(Vegetables such as carrots,potatos,squash,tomatos,cucumber) can be consumed in small doses 

Increase your Ruminant consumption such as (cow,elk,bison,deer) preferably from grass fed pastured sources. This dramatically affects the composition of the flesh you are eating on a dramatic level - Specially the ratio of omega 3 fatty acids and polyunsaturated fat balance. 

Ruminants have multiple stomachs that can filter all the crap that is in our current environment (we only have one ) . 

So for you the short answer is Dont over consume vegetables daily if you do, consume the ones I mention and be sure to consume sufficient high quality animal protein (100g of protein a day if you are a healthy male) 

Most of your nutrients and minerals can be obtained from shilajit Resin which has a much bigger bioavailability for your body and doesn't generate an immune response like vegetables do - Life changing.

This topic runs really deep to give generalist advice which can be dangerous, so select who you listen to when it comes to nutrition 

What you said is so counter intuitive, what about vegan people, they are all scrood up because vegetables are bad?

@Rasheed Haha remember : REALITY IS COUNTER INTUITIVE 

Well, if you observe vegan people (I was a vegan for 9 months) I had severe mental stability problems and severe muscle loss 

Im not saying that you're immediately screwed being a vegan, you can survive and live your life but you CANT THRIVE. 

My depression, Mental stability issues, Weight issues, drive, sexual stamina, muscle composition and overall sense of well being  where dramatically affected when I inverted the equation to little vegetables higher (super high quality protein sources and organs) 

the biggest problem vegans face is the unawareness of what happens to fruits and vegetables once they are grown on these conditions, they CALCIFY the body and create IRON OVERLOAD. which lead to a host of chronic degenerative desease. Also a big problem vegans face is a reduction of thymus gland activity also known as reduced metabolism 

Next time you hang out with a vegan touch their hands and feel if they are cold - You will know what im talking about. 

IM NOT SAYING VEGETABLES ARE BAD - Im saying most vegetables in the context of being bought at health stores or supermarkets are being grown with NPK fertilizer and sprinkled with regular tap water to keep them looking fresh on the aisle -There is no filtration whatsoever to that tap water which is loaded with chemicals as well (which is Absorbed by the vegetable flesh which you later consume) 

NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT THIS WHEN THEY RECOMMEND EATING YOUR VEGETABLES- AND IS CRUCIAL INFORMATION WHICH AFFECTS TOTALLY THE OUTCOME YOUR LOOKINGFOR

6 minutes ago, Shiva said:

@MartinMaggio I think it is actually dangerous to tell people that fruits and vegetables are bad for you.

If humans are actually carnivores, please explain the following facts to me:

• The mouths of carnivores and omnivores moves up or down. Herbivores and humans chew side to side.
  • Unlike most carnivores we can see colours, which we need to distinguish different fruits and vegetables.
  • Our teeth aren’t shaped like other meat eaters, especially when it comes to our canines. They simply aren’t designed to pierce skin and eat flesh. Those of meat-eaters are sharp, long and curved.
  • Carnivores and omnivores have very simple and short colons. Humans have long and complex colons.
  • The lengths of intestines of carnivores and omnivores is about 3-6 times body length, herbivores and humans 10-12 times.
  • Herbivores and humans have carbohydrate-digesting enzymes, carnivores and omnivores do not.
  • Carnivores and omnivores have sharp claws. Herbivores and humans have flattened nails or hooves.
  • We have herbivorous instincts, not carnivorous. If you were starving to death and suddenly you stumbled upon a pile of apples and a dead, rotting cadaver of a cow, which would you eat? There's no question what a cat would do...
  • There's also no way we could hunt down any serious animal without weapons and tools (which we were obviously not born with)
  • We get all the nutrients we need from plants, contrary to common belief (yes, including B12)
  • Human’s tongues don’t have fat or meat receptors.
  • Carnivores don't hurt their arteries from consuming excess cholesterol, humans do and our bodies make all the cholesterol we need already (unlike in the carnivore case)
  • The Okinawan people of Japan are one of the most herbivorous cultures on the planet and they are also said to be the healthiest and live the longest.

All a coincidence?

My theory is that humans started eating meat out of necessity when we left our natural habitat in warm climates where fruits and vegetables are abundant, but given all the above I highly doubt that animals products are optimal for us.

@Shiva before I dive into answering all above questions -

Are you a vegan?

are you willing to openly listen to my counter arguments even if you are a vegan. ?

Vegans are notoriously popular for being dogmatic and closed minded when you challenge their views. (I was in the community for a long time)

If  you are open Ill take the time to answer each of your questions above. Namaste 

Here some pictures of my personal journey from vegan and confused to finding what im proposing above- 

Im only posting this because people are biased towards results 

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.56.33 PM.png

@MartinMaggio  What's your opinion about acidic-alkaline and ph? Eating lot of meat, and not enough vegetables, puts body in acidic state, what do you think about that?

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

You could survive and thrive on fruits and vegetables only. There are even strong indications that humans are in fact herbivores.

What are the indicators? Looking at the digestive track and teeth we appear to be frugavores like the apes  

on a side note I lived in Okinawa for a year as a kid, Cool place to be 

Edited by DrewNows

1 hour ago, MartinMaggio said:

I wouldn't try that though, not without seeing some clinical trials 

@MartinMaggio There are vegan athletes too...and What about spiritual people, yogis, who do not eat meat, and they eat mostly raw vegetables?

@MartinMaggio how frequent are your bowel movements? Do you have bad body odor? Have you explored raw vegan and detoxification? I suspect your solution is only short term beneficial