Vaishnavi

Universal morality

25 posts in this topic

Sure, it exists as a concept. But all concepts are imaginary ego creations.

Morality is a survival tool of the ego. My morality, as well as everyone else’s is based upon self survival. 

What benefits my survival is perceived as good. What hinders my survival is perceived as bad. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

Absolute evil is simply forceing a being to experince something they do not want to experince 

41 minutes ago, krockerman said:

Absolute evil is simply forceing a being to experince something they do not want to experince 

So a mother forcing a sick child to take their medicine when they don’t want to is evil? Mhm... 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@Vaishnavi Yes morality is responsibility.Morality is love.Morality is freedom.

Treat others like the way you want to be treated.

Life is one interconnected and interdependent.

At the same time should be a balance between independence and interdependence.

Morality cannot be forced upon but has to happen come from with in.

Why I should be moral ? - self realisation will give the answers.

Self realisation is the key.

Truth,honesty,integrity,transperancy,love,peace,courage (fearlessness),humilityand lot more.

14 hours ago, King Merk said:

What benefits my survival is perceived as good. What hinders my survival is perceived as bad. 

do you believe in what is called as "extending yourself"? you know, beyond survival? trying to be something much more than just being a surviving animal? i mean do you not believe that man can extend himself beyond this? and that he should? maybe?

14 hours ago, krockerman said:

"want"? what is this "want" based upon? I'm just curious ok? i'm not attacking lol but really, want is based upon pleasure/pain for most people most of the time. A student sometime would not "want" to do his lessons simply because well pleasure lies in playing the video game, so? and maybe my argument here is silly in the sense that you're talking about inflicting suffering in which case, is bodily pain/pleasure the deciding factor?

11 hours ago, Jkris said:

Truth,honesty,integrity,transperancy,love,peace,courage (fearlessness),humilityand lot more.

all damn virtues that would take a lifetime of courage and sweat and standing alone in the rain to develop, all worth it though. So morality according to you should be based upon what takes you closer to these virtues? 

11 hours ago, Jkris said:

morality is responsibility

love this

16 hours ago, King Merk said:

So a mother forcing a sick child to take their medicine when they don’t want to is evil? Mhm... 

I forgot to say if the purpose is selfish. 

Edited by krockerman

I dont think there is universal morality. When universe is considerd there are vast no of species and different species act differently according to there survival. And if we take humans only then again according to survival  morality changes. My morality is based on my survival.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Ultimately there is no morality, it is a concept but there are actions that reduce or increase human suffering and confusion.

18 hours ago, Vaishnavi said:

Apologies if this topic exists, but i'm curious. 

What do you think of the idea of universal morality? Does it exist? 

What is YOUR morality based upon? What do you base your decisions upon?

Morality is a self projection of what should be good/bad.

a duality with arbitrary limits depending upon the culture/context.

My morality is like my faith, I don't believe in morality.

But this is like god, I don't need to believe in anything to be "moral".

by wanting things to be moral in a brainy way, All I do is creating suffering inside me.

All humans create a social norms/ moral, this limit their brains to see reality only through those walls.

that's why most people cannot laugh about jewish kids dying burned.
it's not funny or not, it just that the moral set up by most of our culture doesn't appreciate the fact of laughing on death.

judging someone for laughing on this type of subject, maybe that's the true devil working.

not saying arbitrary things doesn't come from something outside cultural narrative/context.
maybe that's nature for creatures with an highly complex brain to create a consensus on morality.

I would say that the best is creating your own morality, based upon your own principles.

basic teaching, don't do others what you don't want for yourself.

but then, what is your own limit, where is the morality scale ?

@Vaishnavi @Vaishnavi @Vaishnavi

Dharma as we prefer to call is very very subtle and to understand Dharma Self Realisation is the key focus on that.Then everything will become clear.

All spiritual books,Bhagavadh Gita,Mahabaratham,Ramayanam,Thirukural,Purushartham everything will make sense.

Edited by Jkris

Hmmm let's see...

To me, morality basically means inauthenticity. When I am 100% authentic, morality does not exist whether it matches my authentic self or not.

To make morality universal would mean to make the whole world inauthentic, which seems to already be the case. We have different systems for judging aka different moralities, and yet they all share the same aspect of inauthenticity.

Now the question is why is inauthenticity important? Why do we need to be inauthentic? Why does morality exist?

5 hours ago, wavydude said:

but there are actions that reduce or increase human suffering and confusion

and i'm assuming you base your morality upon this? seems legit and about as close as you can get to.. consciousness

5 hours ago, Harikrishnan said:

My morality is based on my survival.

you mean to say you're selfish? where do you draw the line? would you kill another person for survival of your social image? 

@Jkris what is the essence of dharma if i may ask? 

3 hours ago, Lento said:

When I am 100% authentic, morality does not exist whether it matches my authentic self or not.

woah. I think you are defining authenticity on a deeper spiritual level here, and not just say how authentic you are in terms of your personality if i'm not wrong ?Can you define authenticity for me here? what's the context? 

5 hours ago, Aeris said:

My morality is like my faith, I don't believe in morality.

hey does this not point to existence of a universal morality in the first place? a lot like "faith", its just there. no good or bad about it. 

5 hours ago, Aeris said:

judging someone for laughing on this type of subject, maybe that's the true devil working.

Oh ho! True. The level of self reflection this requires is generous. I'm personally guilty of something similar, thank you for putting this out. also i had to read your whole post good 10 times to actually get it, great povs  

20 hours ago, Jkris said:

Treat others like the way you want to be treated.

I like that. I'm playing with a variation of it: "Treat others the way they want to be treated." Let's see how that goes :)

I have an opinion on everything :D

On 11/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, Vaishnavi said:

I would say it's a complex network of how I was conditioned and life experience. As well, there may be some genetic programming and inputs before I was born. 

For my own decisions, I try to trust my intuition rather than mental thinking. The body has a lot of wisdom. Sometimes something will arise and it just doesn't feel right. My mind may try to come up with a story, yet there is also body wisdom I try to get in touch with. 

5 hours ago, Vaishnavi said:

you mean to say you're selfish? 

Who isnt,

where do you draw the line?

I dont care about morality, i do things based on i see what is right at that moment of time. Who knows if its required i might even kill and eat another fellow if we are stranded on an island. 

would you kill another person for survival of your social image? 

No i wont i dont care about social image.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

14 hours ago, Vaishnavi said:

all damn virtues that would take a lifetime of courage and sweat and standing alone in the rain to develop, all worth it though. So morality according to you should be based upon what takes you closer to these virtues? 

Not really. You have them already. It's your natural state 

7 hours ago, Vaishnavi said:

woah. I think you are defining authenticity on a deeper spiritual level here, and not just say how authentic you are in terms of your personality if i'm not wrong ?Can you define authenticity for me here? what's the context?

I think authenticity is the way one would normally think or talk or act without being concerned about other people's opinions and without worrying about the consequences. I think it's a state of complete self expression.

Examples: human kids, dogs, and trees.

Edited by Lento
Added the examples part.

On 11/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, Vaishnavi said:

Apologies if this topic exists, but i'm curious. 

What do you think of the idea of universal morality? Does it exist? 

Morality is a decision one makes to try to avoid doing harm to living things and the environment

"if we adopt the principle of universality: if an action is right (or wrong) for others, it is right (or wrong) for us. Those who do not rise to the minimal moral level of applying to themselves the standards they apply to others—more stringent ones, in fact—plainly cannot be taken seriously when they speak of appropriateness of response; or of right and wrong, good and evil."
--Noam Chomsky

15 hours ago, Vaishnavi said:
21 hours ago, wavydude said:

but there are actions that reduce or increase human suffering and confusion

and i'm assuming you base your morality upon this? seems legit and about as close as you can get to.. consciousness

Yes, it's like I said you're an ugly worthless preson, it can't really hurt you becouse that's not true but people can be affected and it can cause unnecessary suffering... basically don't spread falsehood and attachment.