Charlie_B

Seeking advise on my situation at work

3 posts in this topic

I have a situation at work. Our management made some hierarchal changes in my team recently. As part of it, my team ended up merging with a couple of small teams from different technologies. Out of 3 the technology that I'm in is bigger and has more business users. Yesterday they announced a common supervisor/manager for all of us as one single team and one technical lead who is from a different technology. The thing is - I'm leading my team as tech lead so far and merging with other teams compromised my position as the management is new and do not really have any idea about my platform and the work we do and the involvement of my team in depth. They chose this tech lead as they are familiar with him and this guy happened to work in my technology years ago in support.

I have more experience than any other guys in the whole team and my level of expertise is unparalleled. I'm not really taking this change very well as I do not wish to report to someone who has half of my experience and not brilliant than me in my field. I really want to question my management about the quality of leadership model they implementing and it feels like all of my experience and my hard work is for nothing. 

I know that these days people are not really questioning their work environment as most of us are either insecure of the job market, or instead of questioning we simply move on to something else. I'm not sure I should do the same.

My thought process has changed incredibly over a couple of years watching and following Leo. I understand that I'm viewing this situation from my ego perspective. May be this doesn't matter after a few years. But I don't know how to best handle this situation and what to learn from it. 

Can anyone advise me whether I should question or move on?

If you think you'd be a better leader then you can discuss that with your manager. Make sure you can back up that with evidence though. And if it's too bad, you could simply move on and find work elsewhere.

Another option is simply to use this as an opportunity for growth. You're obviously a bit triggered by the situation. Step back and ask yourself why that is? Also ask yourself how you being upset benefits the performance of the team? It likely doesn't. My bet is this could be a great opportunity for you to exercise humility as well as teach your new team members some things with your "unparalleled level of expertise".

Try not to play the victim bro. You're aware enough to be stepping back and analyzing the situation and that's awesome. Keep working on yourself. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

Thank you @King Merk your response made me see why I triggered by the whole situation in the first place. It all just blown away. I didn't really make a fuss about it but I did speak to my manager and pointed my constructive views on not handing over my team to others. Hopefully the transition goes smooth. Anyhow, I'm not burdened by this thought anymore. Truly appreciate your post.