Cocolove

Bernie Sanders rally

18 posts in this topic

I went to the Bernie rally in Minneapolis last night. Has anyone else been to one? What did you think? I thought is was interesting and enjoyed it. Can't wait to see a Trump one and compare them lol.

21 minutes ago, Cocolove said:

Can't wait to see a Trump one and compare them

Lol

Go to a KKK meet-up while you're at it ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I volunteered at one last week in Michigan. It was totally awesome. Everyone was so friendly and down to earth. I truly think he's the only candidate capable of beating Trump. Hopefully the DNC wont sabotage his chances this time around.

38 minutes ago, abundance said:

he's the only candidate capable of beating Trump

Plenty of Democrats are capable of beating Trump.

Don't make Trump out to be strong when he's actually weak.

Paper tigers aren't strong.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol

Go to a KKK meet-up while you're at it ;)

Now that would be fun

41 minutes ago, Cocolove said:

Now that would be fun

Be sure to wear a "Western civilization sucks" t-shirt ;)

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Plenty of Democrats are capable of beating Trump.

Don't make Trump out to be strong when he's actually weak.

Paper tigers aren't strong.

This is true. However, I think he is the most electable canditate given his popularity and current poll numbers. I know of many Trump supporters who'd vote for Bernie but wouldnt cast their ballots for Biden in a million years. And if it comes down to Biden/Trump or even Warren/Trump, there is high probability that we'll have to endure another 4 years of Trump.

Also a lot of Americans are willfully politically ignorant. After leaving the rally I spoke to many of my friends and family about it and some had no idea that Bernie was even running. Others have simply given up all hope in the political system and do not vote at all. If there is one thing that can be said about Trump's base it is that they do and will VOTE. This is why we need a candidate that will rouse people to get off their behinds and vote and perhaps win over a portion of Trumps white working class base. 

Donald Trump is a populist candidate. The only way to beat him is with another populist candidate like Bernie Sanders, Tulsi Gabbard, and maybe Andrew Yang. More importantly, he needs to be attacked for his economic policies so that his base votes against him. He did not deliver what he promised (draining the swamp, giving people more jobs, "winning tremendously"). People voted for him because they are sick and tired of career politicians like the Clintons, the Bushes, the Rubios and the Cruzes. Unfortunately, Warren is too much of a standard politician herself and putting her up against Trump will be a nail biter. 

5 minutes ago, Bno said:

Donald Trump is a populist candidate. The only way to beat him is with another populist candidate like Bernie Sanders,

that's where the similarity ends

12 minutes ago, Bno said:

Donald Trump is a populist candidate. The only way to beat him is with another populist candidate like Bernie Sanders

By your logic, all presidents would have to be populists because otherwise they couldn't get elected.

Yet most presidents have not been populists. So clearly non-populist candidates win often and populist candidates lose often.

@Leo Gura I meant for the current times that we're in. People are starting to see through standard career politicians that the mainstream media pushes. It looks to me like we're at a transitional state.

We're seeing across the map that more progressive and populist candidates are either winning despite all financial odds (like AOC, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tilab) or getting their victories stolen because of DNC rigging (see what happened to Tim Canova in FL).

Edited by Bno

18 hours ago, Bno said:

People are starting to see through standard career politicians that the mainstream media pushes.

A bit.

Establish politicians are still very strong.

@Leo Gura Yeah, it seems like they're strong in the mainstream media portrayals, but these depictions and polls are biased towards older (50+) democrats. To win an election the candidate needs to win over republicans and independents in addition to democrats, which credible polls have shown populists like Sanders, Gabbard, and Yang are popular among independents and former Trump voters while establishment candidates like Biden and Warren are very weak.

@Bno Trying to win over Trump voters is overrated. It's more important to mobilize the progressive base.

Of course Bernie and Yang have some cross-over, which is nice.

But Biden does well against Trump in polls.

Warren would probably have the hardest time. But then again, caring about what Trump voters think/want is not a top priority. They had their chance, they fucked it up, and they show little remorse.

If Trump voters admitted their error, then maybe we could have more sympathy for them. But as long as they act like assholes and keep denying any wrongdoing, no deal. There need to be consequences for electing terrible leaders. You don't get to elect a terrible leader and then come back the next time and make demands about how you're not getting enough of what you want, expecting everyone cater to your priorities.

Catering to Trump voters is not necessary to defeat Trump.

@Leo Gura I agree. However, idt any of the candidates are purposefully catering to them specifically. The economic policies being proposed by progressives just so happen to be liked by some Trump voters.

3 hours ago, Bno said:

@Leo Gura I agree. However, idt any of the candidates are purposefully catering to them specifically. The economic policies being proposed by progressives just so happen to be liked by some Trump voters.

That's due to class similarities.

Conservatives love to use cultural disagreements to distract from class differences. So lots of simple-minded people end up supporting Trump for cultural reasons against their own class interests.

Trump is clearly not going to help low income people because he's thinks they are scum.

@Leo Gura Yup, and Trump hasn't done anything to help them this whole time. Whoever Trump's opponent is in the general election needs to make it a top priority to point this out as much as possible.