brugluiz

The Big Five Personality Test

6 posts in this topic

I searched on the forum, but found nothing about The Big Five personality test.

It's a personality test that measures 5 types of factors:

1. Openness to experience;
  2. Conscientiousness;
  3. Extraversion;
  4. Agreeableness;
  5. Neuroticism.

It's said The Big Five is the personality test with most scientific validity (for the scientific community, of course).

You may want to take a look about these traits on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

I took the Understand Myself by Jordan Peterson which is a personality test based on Big Five. I felt insulted because it showed mostly negative traits of myself (even on the description of my traits). I felt I was a piece shit floating on the ocean. My self-esteem got pretty bad after the assessment.

I took other The Big Five tests and I got more accurate results:

• High Neuroticism (I'm really neurotic, but I don't think it's a fixed trait);
  • Low Extraversion (I tend to be more introvert, but I still have many social skills);
  • High Openess To Experience (I'm all about new ideas);
  • High Agreeableness (yes, I'm a people pleaser yet);
  • Low Conscientiousness (yep, I'm pretty lazy, but I still believe I can integrate my disciplined shadow better).

So what are your thoughts on The Big Five? Have you ever taken it?

If you want to take the test, here it is: https://bigfive-test.com/

@brugluiz I haven't gotten much value out of big 5 besides the observation everyone has their own placements on several different (what is usually gaussian) distributions of traits. It's interesting stuff for sure. 

Despite the fact it has 5 scales of measurement, I'm actually not too intrigued by the model due to the fact it doesn't tell me much about a person that I find particularly interesting. The information it tells you about the person is very general. There are 101 different ways someone can be agreeable/disagreeable in my experience, and so to hear such and such a person is agreeable, the information offers very little interest to me. 

The model definitely takes a behaviorist approach to personality. This isn't inherently bad, I just find it uninspiring with little depth.  What I find interesting in personality theory are peoples fundamental cognition or fundamental motivations. Hence I like Carl Jung's concept of Psychological Types, and I like MBTI to some degree (although I have criticism of MBTI). Enneagram has some interesting information as well. 

Within MBTI, I like the concept of cognitive functions. Which is what Jung developed. What I don't defend so much is the chronological ordering of those functions into 16 different personality types. I find those 16 patterns extremely interesting and think there is value is studying them, I would just not take them too seriously. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao it's really interesting. I took the Enneagram test and I'm most Individualist. It's very accurate. Even my horoscope is accurate (I'm Leo).

It makes a lot of sense.

I also heard that HEXACO has significantly more academic consensus than some other popular personality testing that became popular through marketing.

I took a HEXACO assessment a few years ago. For each score, I got lots of information about what the scores meant in populations. I reflected empathetically and critically on each point, in light of my own life experiences. I developed a comprehensive plan to respond.

I understand that personality is generally set by age 30; but can be developed through deep work.

Honesty Humility - 63%

Emotionality - 70%.

- 81% for “Modesty”.

- 56% for “ Fearfulness”.

- 81% for “ Anxiety”.

- 63% for “ Dependence” (on emotional support)

- 81% for “ Sentimentality”-

- 88% for “ Social Self-Esteem”

- 75% for “ Social Boldness”

- 56% for “Sociability ”.

- 81% for “ Liveliness”

- 63% for Forgivingness.

Extraversion -  78%

- 88% for “ Gentleness”

- 63% for “Flexibility” 

- 63% for “ Patience”

- 63% for “ Organization”

- 81% for “ Diligence”

- 50% for “ Perfectionism”

- 69% for “ Prudence”

- 88% for “Aesthetic Appreciation”

- 69% for “ Inquisitiveness".

- 69% for “ Creativity”

Agreeableness - 66%.

- 92% for “ Unconventionality”

Conscientiousness - 69%

Openness to Experience - 80%

- Altruism dimension 94%.

- 31% for “ Sincerity”

- 94% for “Fairness ”

- 44% for “ Greed Avoidance”.

Edited by RobertZ

@RobertZ just took this test. I have average levels of humility, extraversion, emotionality and agreeabless, high level of openess to experience and low level of conscientiousness.

Just working on my laziness.

@RobertZ the Hexaco is like the BIG5 on steroids. I really like it. The BIG5 is very valuable but you really have to learn how to apply it and how each metric interplay’s with each other. The Hexaco lays it all out much clearer but is based on the same solid science