saint_charming7

Turning down a Job offer

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I have a situation that I would like to get some insights from more experienced actualizers!

I have been looking for a job for a few months now, two days ago appeared an opportunity for an interview. When I got the phone call, I was thrilled, I was even struggling  to get an interview, however, as I looked later in job prescription, my intuition didn't get positive vibes. The only thing that drove me to this position was the salary, however the rest I was really indifferent about it. I have the key competencies and skills to do the jon, but it's not something I want to dedicate my full time to it. Feeling confused, I talked to a friend that works in this industry for a couple of years now for some guidance, he told me that in the past that he applied for the same company, and he had a terrible experience with the interviewer. According to him me the head of the company (the interviewer) was super arrogant with him, and also he told me that all his colleague that worked or currently work are super unhappy despite the large paycheck. 

The other thing is that now, I'm undergoing a graduate course, which I invested money and time to do so, I'm hopeful that in the future I can find something closer to the things that I'm dedicating myself into. To be honest I want to turn the offer down, but I'm also feeling a bit ungrateful, because I've been asking for things to change and they are starting to come to me. It is okay to politely decline this offer? I'm with a small fear of missing out, is this normal? Should I wait a little longer for an opportunity more inclined to my interests and values?

thanks for the patience!

I'm unsure - I understand it's not a job offer yet, just invitation to an interview? 

If so, I would go to the interview for practice reasons. 

Of course, it's ok to decline a job offer. 

A fear of missing out, saying no, or losing money is normal. 

It's also ok to think "what would they have to offer me, so that it's worth working for them?" This could be part-time, home office, some kind of a tweak in the kind of work you do, some kind of education, anything. Be genuine, try to bargain for it. If they say yes, great. If they say no, you don't take the job. If there's nothing that would make it appealing to work there, well, that's your answer. 

Well, its just an interview at this point and this opportunity has come to you for some reason, even if its for you to get very clear what it is you really do want ...and don't want. So, if you decide not to go on the interview make sure you won't regret that decision. I personally would go and just see what happens. If the job is offered to you, you could request to shadow the position for a day to see what its actually about. I recently did this myself.

Btw, what field are you in, may I ask? 

Edited by Anna1

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@saint_charming7

Perhaps you should consider taking this job and work there in the meantime.

Then while your working you can be on the lookout for better opportunities.

This job might not be perfect, but it could be a major stepping stone along your journey.

Sometimes we get stuck because are waiting on the perfect job or opportunity to present itself.

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up. I went to the interview to check it out, it wasn't really for me, although they showed plenty of interest in me. I've decided to focus in my graduate course and apply for jobs in the near future closer to my field. I'm satisfied with my decision, and more motivated to continue to look for things that are in my domain of interest. Thanks! 

@Anna1 My field is finance/economics I was offered to work in the field of government relations for businesses.  Not really my sort of thing, I'm more number oriented and into markets and stuff like that. 

54 minutes ago, saint_charming7 said:

@Anna1 My field is finance/economics I was offered to work in the field of government relations for businesses.  Not really my sort of thing, I'm more number oriented and into markets and stuff like that. 

Ohhh, well, that seems really different. No wonder you aren't that interested.

Good luck finding what you do really want. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?