Cody_Atzori

How do I study hundreds of different perspectives?

9 posts in this topic

It seems like quite a task, and eveytime I start I feel discouraged. I don't know If I'm doing the right method, and how do I even keep track. I would love to do so, because that would push me into stage yellow, but how long would that take and what do I actually need to do so I don't waste my time or delude myself. I'm not an excellent reader either. I find it hard to read books.

@Cody_Atzori If it seems like a task, don’t do it. It’s not gonna stick anyway if you have to force yourself. If you believe in spiral dynamics, then maybe you’re just not ready for yellow yet?

You can’t force yourself to study something just because it would make you someone you desire to be. You do it because you love it, or you don’t. There’s no end goal of ‘finally being done studying perspectives’. You do it because it’s enjoyable to gather knowledge. It’s a way of life. You can’t fake genuine interest.

If you are interested and you’re just not into reading that much then maybe try a different angle: Take 20 people closest to you, ask yourself what their perspective on life and death is, how they view the world. Ask them questions about why they think they’re alive. 

There’s 7 billion perspectives out there. Start with your neighbour, go from there. You’re meeting many new people everyday. You’ll never run out of things to observe.

@Cody_Atzori

Ask questions. Do not believe any one's opinion, discover it for your self. This works great for me. Check out leo's video on contemplation and asking questions.

5 hours ago, Cody_Atzori said:

It seems like quite a task, and eveytime I start I feel discouraged. I don't know If I'm doing the right method, and how do I even keep track. I would love to do so, because that would push me into stage yellow, but how long would that take and what do I actually need to do so I don't waste my time or delude myself. I'm not an excellent reader either. I find it hard to read books.

It won't take hundreds of hours, maybe even 10 minutes. Just think about everything as if you are that particular thing. You are definitely every atom in every grain of sand on the earth and every other planet in the known universe. Imagine being every individual one, not aware of the others, or even being all at once. Imagine how your life would be different, what opinions you would have if you were born into a different person on the other side of the world, how about the other side of your city? Or even what if you were born into the body of a sibling? Or both of your parents? Every person on the planet, even the murderers, the more fortunate, the less fortunate, the slaves, the slave owners? Look at things from the perspective of a human trafficker, from the victim, from the perpetrator. But don't stop there, you could think about being every different species of animal there is, every alien species we haven't even discovered. That is one of the fastest ways to gain perspective in my opinion. Good luck friend.

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

The big goal is overwhelming you

It's a meaningful and important thing but just follow your curiosity and intuition

Or just study what you want to / seems enjoyable that is new 

@Cody_Atzori A much more fun way to gain multi-perspectival views is to listen to YouTube interviews and talks. This isn't a substitute for reading, but it can be a nice way to get your foot in the door when you're feeling overwhelmed. 

Just pop on some Alan Watts. "Rebel Wisdom" channel has some good videos. Jamie Wheal. Jason Silva. "Making Sense" with Sam Harris has some good guests going into stage yellow systems thinking. Spiritual gurus like Sahdguru, Rupert Spira, and Shunyamurti. This is just the tip of the iceberg, there's soooooo much you can learn from YouTube

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

I do love studying and gathering knowledge and wisdom, I just feel overwhelmed.

Edited by Cody_Atzori

I say this about reading. It is new, for a long ass time it was unheard of. Humans for nearly all of our existence have been speaking and hearing to learn and express ideas, not reading. Reading for me is the least way I learn something. It takes for ever and seems so boring I just cannot keep awake doing it for long at all. I am bright, have a stupid degree in Computer Science bla bla bla. I still have a hard time digesting things from words on a page. 

I use 2 methods. I download audio from youtube videos as MP3's and load them on my phone so I can listen any time including offline. I listen to many things over and over. Almost all books can be found as audio these days and most for free. I have "read" thousands of hours of data, hundreds of texts that I could never have actually found the time to read. I walk around with my bluetooth in my ear literally all day and most nights. I own 3 bluetooth devices because I burn up the batteries so fast. I always am listening to something that helps me grow. 

Free sites to download youtube as MP3, large ones like full books. popups but no virus's, i have been using these for years.

https://y2mate.com/youtube/1AjaFoErcN4

https://mp3fy.com/

Secondly I found some free apps on my phone that will read text. A few things I could only find in text, no audio. So I use an app to read those darn things to me on my phone.

I have just shy of 100 youtube channels I follow, all spiritual in nature like Leo's channel. I follow chanellers to mystics and more logical ideas like Leo's method, and I absorb them all and find my truth within their teachings. I prescribe to no one idea, no single thoughts or other peoples concepts. I use them to create my own truth, and it has worked well for me. 

There are so many great people putting out incredible content. There are only 24 hours in a day. If I could not listen to stuff all day and had to try to get all this from books at night after work. I would die trying, never getting to what I have become, God incarnated to experience other than God.

For me, reading is very over rated. Another lie from our school systems. It is the slow way to learn, at best.

Books were just data holders, like modern hard drives, of their day. There is nothing special about the written word today, that tech is passing quickly.  

@Cody_Atzori  I would make distinctions between skills, process and content. For example, if I replicate someone's artwork, am I creative? I would say no. There is a process of learning and developing creative skills. People have different potentials in different areas - based on genetics, interest, curiosity and life history. For example, I don't have natural abilities in creating music. I love listening to music, yet my mind just isn't oriented to creating music. Who knows why. Maybe my brain can't distinguish notes well. Or maybe my neural auditory pathways are not inter-connected with other neural pathways - like emotions, liguistics, neural-muscular etc. . . In contrast, my brain naturally does well with abstraction and integration of concepts. My mind can integrate concepts in genetics, neuroscience, psychology and sociology easily and my mind loves to do it. Yet my mind can't even integrate a few musical notes together!

You mentioned that you like to gather knowledge and wisdom. One question I would ask: Do you like the accumulation of knowledge or the integration of knowledge? For me, knowledge without integration is sooo boring. Last year I went on a date with a gal that was super knowledgeable and she talked for an hour about the details of some European war. General XYZ and battle ABC. Country 1 vs. Country 2. All these different battle dates and locations. . . It was a miserable hell for me. All those detailed knowledge has no color without integration. Why was Country 1 against Country 2? How did the psychology of General XYZ allow him to be more successful than General Q? How did the battles transform society? What aspects of the war is still evident in society? How did the war shape the culture? . . . Yet hear mind was oriented differently. She kept getting upset when I was in integrated/systemic/holistic mindsets. She kept asking "What does that matter? I'm trying to list out all the battles that occurred in the year 1947". She was much more oriented toward concrete, grounded facts.

In terms of developing skills of integrative/systems/holistic thinking: A helpful book for me was "How to Think like Leonardo Da Vinci". This book helped me realize various forms of intelligence such as intellectual, social, creative, social intelligence. The book gave different examples of genius in each area and explained how Da Vinci was a genius in all areas. He didn't excel in seven different areas. Da Vinci excelled in ONE holistic area because he didn't have boundaries between areas such as barriers between engineering, ecology and art. . . Also, there are many expressions of Yellow. Saying "I want to become Yellow" is like saying "I want to become an athlete". There are many different ways that athletes express themselves. It's nice to have a framework, yet don't limit yourself. For example a good framework for an athlete might be that athletes develop strength, balance, flexibility and endurance. Yet we wouldn't limit ourselves to "An athlete is a soccer player". Soccer is just one expression of athletics. 

Also, it is much easier to recognize Yellow than create Yellow. You can recognize a full stage higher than you can create. For example, I recognized the Yellow in Da Vinci and was amazed. Then I started seeing the Yellow in others. Yet my mind wasn't able be Yellow on it's own. This was frustrating at times. I would be walking in nature or journaling and think "Why can't I be Yellow on my own?". . . One thing that helped me was to watch and engage in Yellow-ness. For example, if I recognized Yellow in another I would try and converse with them. I met a Yellow-level artist and he pulled me up into Yellow-ness and we would have Yellow-level discussions. I was thinking and being Yellow with him. Yet went I was on my own, I didn't do it very well. I really wanted to be able to do it on my own. With time, it just started happening spontaneously. I would be out in nature and insightful integration between nature, art and science would appear. . . I already had the skill of recognizing Yellow, so when it spontaneously arose in my mind I was like "Whoa, that's Yellow!!". Almost like learning a new language and being able to think in the foreign language naturally without translation. . . Once the language is known, all sorts of doors open. . .