StarStruck

Throwing old stuff away

10 posts in this topic

What do you guys think about personal possessions? Personally I have a lot of useless but sentimental possessions from my childhood. I thought many times about throwing it away or keeping it. Mostly these possessions, like drawings, games and tools, I keep for sentimental value. 

I would love to switch to a minimalist household. I just have too much stuff hanging around. Obviously the easiest option would be to throw some of it away and keep the most sentimental valuable stuff, for now. 

Sometimes I think I just hold on to these possessions because it strengthens the ego/role that I created for myself. If that is true keeping these childhood possessions is not healthy. I’m not sure what I want to do. 

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

Its called something like the calamari method but i might just be hungry.

You pick up a single item, and you ask yourself. Does this bring me Joy? 

Keep it if it does, donate, sell or throw if it doesn't. 

Life is easier with a lighter mind, especially without childhood memorabilia. 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

1 minute ago, Chakra Lion said:

Its called something like the calamari method but i might just be hungry.

xD

Konmari method, her book is The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. I highly recommend it! It has quite a spiritual side to it. She teaches you to hone your intuition and the identify the things that resonate with you. She also has a show on Netflix.

I went through a major minimalism phase and threw out all my old journals and yearbooks. I miss the journals, but not the yearbooks. I got rid of the vast majority of my childhood things and don't miss them, I did find a couple treasures in them that I wouldn't have appreciated had I never taken the time to sort through it all. It's a nice way to put your past in order. I'm pretty sure looking back now that throwing out the journals was avoidance of dealing with my past. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

2 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@mandyjw ha! Ever see someone, and just, crush? Ya. That Konmari lady. Lol. (Reminder, I’m not actually an old lady)

You give the impression of a middle aged man. 

@Hellspeedgive me the impression of a middle aged lady. At first, I thought he was a 30+ yo woman. He speaks like a yoga teacher. (Not egoic)

18 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@mandyjw ha! Ever see someone, and just, ...oh...crush? Ya. That Konmari lady. Lol. (Reminder, I’m not actually an old lady)

xD She has an amazing presence. Completely understandable reaction even if you are an old lady. ;)

I really want to do the konmari method again now that my intuition is clearer. When I first read the book I thought her methods and wording were quite quirky and kind of strange, yet I was too entranced to be bothered by it. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I will pick up that book and literally clean out my closet. Thanks guys. 

In Tate we trust

Free audiobook Goodbye Things - Fumio Sasaki. Great book ?!

Consume less, acquire less. When you do need to acquire, try to find it used so that you can squeeze another lifecycle out of a product. When your stuff breaks, repair it. When you do need to throw stuff away, donate it or sell it so that others can get use out of it.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.