Cammy

Give me questions to show I know nothing.

26 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I am reading the book of not knowing and I've come across a teaching that we don't actually know anything. I was given a question to ponder: "How do you know the earth is round and not flat?"

Post some questions to stimulate this thought process of realizing we know nothing.

Thank you.

What do you know,or what knowledge do you have, other than the knowledge you've gathered from outside of yourself (books,teachers,peers,family,t.v. etc.)?

1 hour ago, Cammy said:

"How do you know the earth is round and not flat?"

Post some questions to stimulate this thought process of realizing we know nothing.

Here's some.

What lies beyond conceptual-relative knowledge? 

What is it like to truly not know?

How much of what you experience daily is based on expectation? 

Earth? What Earth?

@Cammy e.g. how do you know for sure that your parents are your biological parents?

Do you know for sure that everyone else is having a similar human experience as you are? Or are they programs?

Do you know what a bowl actually is other than relying on the instant ideas and concept of a "bowl" that you get when thinking about it?

Even if you hear data and claims from authority figures that something is 1000% true, how do you know for yourself it's true? Did you conclude for yourself from actual experiments and data collection that it's true?

I got nothing.

Great prompt. This is my go-to analogy.

Try to imagine everything possible to be known. Every single event in all of history. Every single molecular movement of the quadrillions of quadrillions molecular movements. Imagine every single happening in the universe right now. The quadrillions of quadrillions of events happening in a tiny Chinese village. Yes, there are that many. Many more. Even picking up a handful of dirt is beyond comprehension. You could spend your life studying a pencil and barely scratch the surface. An unimaginable amount of infinitesimal molecules, energetics and quantum mechanics. You could infinitely zoom into that pencil. 

Compare this vast amount of existence to the knowledge in a human mind. A human mind of knowledge would be like 0.00000000000000000000000000(add 1 million zeros)00000000000000000000(add another million zeros)000000000000000001% of universe knowledge. We would round that off to zero. . . Yet here's the funny thing about human minds: what a person knows is 100% of what they know. The human mind contracts into it's own mind and is under the delusion that is knows a lot.

It would be like a person with a single grain of sand in their palm. Relative to all the sand grains in the world, that single grain of sand is trivial. However, if we hyper-focus on that single grain of sand  - that grain of sand is 100% of the sand in that person's palm. . . 

2 hours ago, Cammy said:

"How do you know the earth is round and not flat?"

Because the moon is round 

1 hour ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

What do you know,or what knowledge do you have, other than the knowledge you've gathered from outside of yourself (books,teachers,peers,family,t.v. etc.)?

I know that I love skating~ Jk.

Observations?

two people might look at the exact same thing, but comes out with different output. It is your ability to perceive. Not much on the things observed. 

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

Here's some.

What lies beyond conceptual-relative knowledge? 

What is it like to truly not know?

How much of what you experience daily is based on expectation? 

Earth? What Earth?

I think it is not possible to "not know", when a question arised, an answer is inevitable. Till you know everything. That's how prophet Abraham came to know God. By "creation-inquiry" ~~

@Cammy Okay what is the implication of unknowing everything vs knowing everything ? 

Haha idk~

You have known too much. But also didn't know infinite much. Which way is faster? Might as well be in flow. Knowing upon knowing upon knowing to infinity. Rather than not knowing to not knowing aka denying everything till you lose everything. 

I think you're lucky if you lose everything. (Assuming that if you lose everything you'll get enlightened) What if it stops in the middle? You'll be in a state of not knowing partially. 

At least on the knowing path, I am in flow with reality. It's only the matter of knowing more till you know everything. If Allah wills it. Light upon light. Clarity upon clarity. (Without having to deny anything)

There is an answer to everything. If you ask God about it , He will answer it. 

The problem lies in being too proud not to ask God for His guidance (re:prayer). Or because you don't have a question. Because you already know everything...

Edited by Angelite

1 minute ago, Angelite said:

Because the moon is round 

Do you really know that for sure? This is sorta the same as asking if the Earth is flat. Even if you were to go to the moon, you most likely perceive it as flat.  You don't really know until you've personally traveled the actual circumference on the Earth or moon and then conclude for yourself that they're round or flat.

Of course, you probably knew that the point here isn't whether or not some thing like the Earth being flat or round is true. It's how you came to conclude these beliefs and the mental process that unconsciously happen.

I got nothing.

2 hours ago, Cammy said:

I've come across a teaching that we don't actually know anything.

Therefore you don't know the "teaching that we don't actually know anything." 

Tricky things, these statements that include everything. Because they include themselves. 

Everything is connected, but connections are only necessary from a fragmented point of view. What's the connection between two waves? The whole deep ocean which they are made of in the first place!

“The more you know, the more you realise how much you don’t know — the less you know, the more you think you know.”

David T. Freeman

I have an opinion on everything :D

Here's to start you off:

1. What is the earth?

2. What is the earth's truest nature?

3. why does the earth exist?

4. How could the earth exist at all?

5. How did the earth come into being?

6. What is it's purpose being here?

7. What is the earth made out of?

8. what is important about the earth and why?

9. What governs eath existing and not existing?

10. Where did the earth come from?

11. Why is earth structured/ordered this way?

12. Are there alternate versions of the earth besides it being round or flat?

13. Did the earth begin as a tiny space rock?

14. Is the earth getting bigger?

15. Are there smaller/bigger earth planets?

16. What happened before earth came into being?

17. Why is it that our earth has been the only life flourishing planet so far?

18. Did life originate from earth or elsewhere?

19. Is the earth a dumb object or a living place?

20. Is the earth made out of levels of emergent properties?

21. How do we know what earth really is?

22. Which origin story about the earth is right?

23. Which expert do I trust about the earth?

24. Why do billions of people experience different parts of the earth?

25. Why do intelligent people, like scientists, still can't give a full explanation of the earth's origin?

26. Why do people disagree with what the earth is or how it came to be?

27. Why is a rational explanation about the earth limited?

28. What if I'm wrong about the earth?

29. What if I'm self-biased with which explanation I go with about the earth?

30. What if I'm deluded about the earth and have my own ideas about the earth?

31. What if I blindly believed what the earth is?

32. Which method is best for understanding earth: logic, intuition or the raw senses?

33. Is there a cultural bias for understanding our world?

34. Do we have a human species-bias that influences our understanding of earth?

35. What is our earth like from other species' points of view, like animals, reptiles, insects, microscopic life...?

36. if aliens exist, how would the earth look like for them? How would they know about the earth?

37. If non-physical entities exist, what would the earth look like for them?

38. Does the earth belong to us human beings?

39. Is the earth intelligent?

40. Are we living in real earth or a fantasy about real earth?

41. Am I the earth?

42. Am I separate from the earth?

43. How am I the same/different from the earth?

44. Was earth here before I was born?

45. Will the earth be here when I pass away?

46. In my dream, am I on the same earth or different earth?

47. Is the air I breath in the earth's air?

48. Is the air I exhale still my breath or the earth's air?

49. Does the earth belong to me or I belong to the earth?

50. Am I earth's byproduct to experience life and record information for earth's own understanding of itself, or Is earth my byproduct of being me to experience life on earth for my own sake of being me and not earth?

51. Is the earth conscious?

52. Is the earth a perspective relative to other planets?

53. Is consciousness being unified by the earth?

54. Are 'natural disasters' earth's way of consciously expressing itself?

55. When day begins and night falls on earth, is equivalent to a person waking up and sleeping for earth?

56.  Does the earth consciously bring in seasons?

57. Are seasons the earth's expression of it's emotions?

58. Are non biological things, including the earth, conscious?

59. Did earth imagine us to experience itself?

60. Did we imagine the earth for our own sake?

61. Did earth, through higher order evolution, created consciousness through forms created from the earth, or Is consciousness, being a fundamental element of the universe, created the earth for it's own sake?

16 minutes ago, Swagala said:

Do you really know that for sure? This is sorta the same as asking if the Earth is flat. Even if you were to go to the moon, you most likely perceive it as flat.  You don't really know until you've personally traveled the actual circumference on the Earth or moon and then conclude for yourself that they're round or flat.

Of course, you probably knew that the point here isn't whether or not some thing like the Earth being flat or round is true. It's how you came to conclude these beliefs and the mental process that unconsciously happen.

Because we're not in 2d. Were in 3d physically. Or maybe someone else can perceive the moon in other d's who knows. 

And it goes higher&higher to infinity without having to deny anything. 

11 minutes ago, JustThinkingAloud said:

“The more you know, the more you realise how much you don’t know — the less you know, the more you think you know.”

David T. Freeman

Yea that's why we have "God knows everything, we don't know everything( we do know some things but not everything)" . Only God knows everything, that's why if we have a question we can ask God about it, to guide us to it. Allah will answer whoever that asked Him(re:prayer) . I didn't say it. It is stated in the Quran. 

@Danioover9000wuuu✨ 

But I didn't start from fantasies. 

Edited by Angelite

27 minutes ago, Angelite said:

I think it is not possible to "not know",

The most beautiful moments in life happen when there is no know-er.

Do you ever notice that when those special "moments" happen it's only realized afterwards and it is the very 'knowing' that takes one out of the moment? 

5 minutes ago, Angelite said:

Yea that's why we have "God knows everything, we don't know everything( we do know some things but not everything)" . Only God knows everything, that's why if we have a question we can ask God about it, to guide us to it. Allah will answer whoever that asked Him(re:prayer) . I didn't say it. It is stated in the Quran. 

Was Quran written by God or by people that used their interpretation of what God is or did?

I have an opinion on everything :D

@Danioover9000

6 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

The most beautiful moments in life happen when there is no know-er. 

Hmm...

But what I meant is, it is inevitable to know, after not knowing. 

Know-er & not know-er ? 

Edited by Angelite

12 minutes ago, Angelite said:

Because we're not in 2d. Were in 3d physically. Or maybe someone else can perceive the moon in other d's who knows. 

And it goes higher&higher to infinity without having to deny anything. 

@Danioover9000wuuu✨ 

But I didn't start from fantasies. 

I've addressed the OP, not you.

@Danioover9000 you, I like that you have many questions for the OP. So

18 minutes ago, Angelite said:

@Danioover9000wuuu✨ 

36 minutes ago, Angelite said:

@Cammy Okay what is the implication of unknowing everything vs knowing everything ? 

?This is for the OP

Edited by Angelite