halo

Shadow/Trauma Work One In The Same?

2 posts in this topic

Even if they aren't the same, wouldn't it be safe to assume they are closely related? If the body is your subconscious mind, by bringing your trauma into conscious awareness, is this not making the unconscious conscious? Or is there other unconscious material unrelated to trauma?

Would you even have a shadow if you didn't have traumatic experiences that you repressed?

Is there a specific order in which to do this work?

Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate ― C.G. Jung

Also, I don't make a distinction between the subconscious and unconscious mind. I hope that doesn't make things confusing. 

@halo

I'd say that shadow work as described in books such as The Dark Side of the Light Chasers by Debbie Ford is more superficial, while trauma work/PTSD work/inner child work/bottom up approach goes more in-depth, working on the root causes.

Trauma work also has the "side effect" of making you more attuned to and capable of feeling your body and emotions. And IMO it's priceless.

Still, trauma work is more physically draining, and this depends on how intensely you do it.

I've been doing trauma work for quite a time and it's the best thing I've ever done in my life, but I've not done any shadow work yet so I cannot say which is the better, although trauma work does wonders.

If the body is your subconscious mind, by bringing your trauma into conscious awareness, is this not making the unconscious conscious?

I think it is.

Or is there other unconscious material unrelated to trauma?

I don't understand very well the question, but the unconscious is responsible for the majority of our behaviours and responses to stimuli, so in this sense there is more.

Would you even have a shadow if you didn't have traumatic experiences that you repressed?

It's possibile. Let's say there is a collegue that has a behaviour that I find a little annoying. If you're forced to work with him, you'll end up seeing him as annoying and maybe you'll even feel angered by him. Now you have an aversion for that behaviour, and you could say you have developed a shadow. 

Check this out:

Edited by Superfluo

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003