Kidorikko

Is life purpose a glamorized attachment?

13 posts in this topic

In Letting Go, David Hawkins briefly talks about the glamour we project onto our desires, making them look better than what they are actually. It made me wonder about the life purpose topic and how this possibly conflicts with awakening. Could not the idea of life purpose be a hindrance to awakening? o.O

I mean, everyone has their own past and interests which shape their ego in unique ways. Just look at other people's lives and notice you don't have the same enthusiasm towards their interests and activities. Being a high consciousness person, you may appreciate and accept differences, but this will not make you have the same interests or competence that others do, it simply does not work that way. The interests you have right now you inherited from your past, what has nothing to do with your spiritual path itself.

This said, it seems to me that the concept of life purpose can be an obstacle to awakening, since you cultivate your ego for a long time through this masked attachment. I really can not see a way to conciliate life purpose with spirituality. Should not we let go of attachments? Is not life purpose a kind of attachment?

It is my first post. I am sorry if I'm breaking any rule. 

Have a good day!

Hello nice post.

That's a good observation.

But when you let go within' you'll see it wasn't even needed to have one 'purpose'. A 'purpose' become illusion and projection.

Cause life will unfold. We should have goals for fun if that make us laugh but not cling to them intoxicated.

letting life experience tell us the truth above what the egoic mind project as 'maximizing happiness goals'.

Otherwise it feel like you start to become intoxicated by your own ideas and not reaching them result mostly in frustration.

Leo did once note that actualized was his greatest distraction to awakening (3 years ago he made this comment.) 

But at the same time, I think a life purpose gives a lot of meaning and fulfillment 

Edited by d0ornokey

@Aeris Hello. Thank you for your post!

I myself have my goals but I don't think I have one as big as a life purpose. For a long time I thought this was a bad thing. Now, in my present understanding/awareness, a life purpose would only be bad. I don't need it and I'm grateful for that. :D

@d0ornokey Hello. Thank you for your post!

I appreciate Leo's attempt to conciliate 'practical' matters of daily life with awakening.

This whole concept may be a case of 'two truths doctrine'. Life purpose is a relative truth, but ultimately empty. How many people notice such emptiness? Many Leo's viewers must strive to attain their life purpose without noticing its true nature. It is a trap to put much weight on a desire and hope it fulfils you.

Edited by Kidorikko

I think it depends on your interpretation of life purpose. Part of actualization is finding where you fit in into this level of reality, and I dont think that always means something like "I'm going to be a doctor or author or monk or whatever". I have a purpose to help as many people as I can see a little piece of reality that can help them grow, or not to interfere with their existence as much as possible. I have a goal to survive this life and enjoy as much as possible for me and take as much unique experience with me to the infinity when this body finally dies. Having a life purpose around work and survival might be needed for you or someone else, that also is not a bad thing. existing means you are here in this reality. having a purpose to guide your navigation should be part of that existence. true reality may be aimless and infinite but if you're here reading this, part of you is still human. Having no purpose whatsoever is dangerous. it can lead to laziness and hopelessness. It can be blissful as well, but wisdom should temper that in time. Unless being a true hermit is your goal i'd suggest finding some purpose to strive for, whether it is vague and abstract or grounded and concrete, small or large. Just make sure it is realistic and/or motivating for you

Spirituality = directionlessness? Well, don't get attached to that idea ;)

I am myself, heaven and hell.

@Septicaema@Commodent

Hello. Thank you for your posts! :D

What is direction besides attachment to a desire? Should not one let go of a desire and park in the present moment? 

This concept of direction or life purpose seems counterintuitive in view of a spiritual practice. You do your stuff in the now but still desire something bigger. 

Should not we live without thinking about results? Just do and be grateful for your present actions?

Edited by Kidorikko

@Kidorikko It certainly is counter-intuitive. One might even call it a paradox. To live for the present moment, and yet strive for something bigger. There is no should, however. If you deeply desire living an ordinary life, then go for it. If you don't have any vision, that's fine. See where it takes you. There's a time and place for everything.

Would you really do anything without an intention in mind? Desire is an inherent part of life, so unless you want to live in constant friction with what is, you better just accept it. Desire only leads to suffering if you can't handle the pain that comes with not fulfilling your desire. Love that pain to death. 

I am myself, heaven and hell.

19 hours ago, Kidorikko said:

In Letting Go, David Hawkins briefly talks about the glamour we project onto our desires, making them look better than what they are actually. It made me wonder about the life purpose topic and how this possibly conflicts with awakening. Could not the idea of life purpose be a hindrance to awakening? o.O

I mean, everyone has their own past and interests which shape their ego in unique ways. Just look at other people's lives and notice you don't have the same enthusiasm towards their interests and activities. Being a high consciousness person, you may appreciate and accept differences, but this will not make you have the same interests or competence that others do, it simply does not work that way. The interests you have right now you inherited from your past, what has nothing to do with your spiritual path itself.

This said, it seems to me that the concept of life purpose can be an obstacle to awakening, since you cultivate your ego for a long time through this masked attachment. I really can not see a way to conciliate life purpose with spirituality. Should not we let go of attachments? Is not life purpose a kind of attachment?

Have a good day!

In my opinion I think you should drop your shoulds (pun non intended), I mean you don't NEED to awaken nor a life purpose nor to let go of attachments, life is up for grabs so maybe start by asking "what do I want?". And if awakening is what you want and you can see that letting go of alll your desires will lead there then do that, even though you wouldn't even think of doing that if you didn't desire awakening in the first place. So what I'm trying to say is that living life without "wants" is not really practical, I would assume mr Hawkins needed to have a desire for awakening in order for him to get there (even if that ended up with him dropping all desires eventually, the desire for awakening included)

I hope I'm making sense, this is kind of hard to word lol. But then again I'm no expert and I'm still trying to figure out my purpose and direction in life myself :)

On 10/19/2019 at 9:54 PM, Kidorikko said:

Have a good day!

@Kidorikko Yoga and Tantra are both paths to enlightenment but they handle experiences and the physical realm different.

According to Tantra, one can explore intensely beautiful experiences and thrive in the physical realm without being attached. Its not the "thing" that people many times become attached to that is the problem, its the attachment itself. Anything and everything is permissible as long as non-attachment is maintained.

If you want to know more about Tantric philosophy, I would suggest a book - Desire: The Tantric Path to Awakening

@see_on_see  I may be wrong, but you associate the concept of life purpose with actually doing something. You think If one does not have a LP then he will vegetate and die. lol

My whole point was this over-emphasis on a purpose and how this can be nothing more than an attachment.

Just now, see_on_see said:

Well, you're misunderstanding what life purpose is about. Leo has talked about it extensively in many videos, the answers you're looking for are there.

Well, considering that Leo sells a life purpose course, I will not look for his answers on this subject.

And I'm glad to know others find the same. @Ethergave an amazing response on this.