CreamCat

A cruise ship pollutes the environment as much as one million cars.

27 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Hansu said:

Something to criticize about the video; It claims that one ship in port according to experts in Brussels and Germany releases more sulphur in a day than millions of cars

One million cars are dispersed evenly. One giant ship emits sulfur in one tiny spot. That's problematic for nearby citizens even if it doesn't emit as much sulfur as one million cars.

51 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

One million cars are dispersed evenly. One giant ship emits sulfur in one tiny spot. That's problematic for nearby citizens even if it doesn't emit as much sulfur as one million cars.

True, but not my point.

My point is that they did not disclose on what kind of technology the researchers were measuring. If the researchers measured a cruise ship using Heavy Fuel Oil without scrubbers, then of course it would release high amounts of sulphur. This would have been great data 10-20 years ago, but since the scrubber systems are becoming mandatory in 2020, and since more and more ports are banning use of HFO in port, the data would be very old.

Comparing this kind of data with modern day LNG cruise ships would be like comparing a gasoline car with no catalyst converter from 1980 to a modern car that runs on natural gasses and then pointing out how all cars pollute air with lead and sulphur and should be banned.

This however is just speculation, so I decided to dig deeper and e-mail the channel. I asked them for their sources, and will be sharing my findings when they answer me.

1 hour ago, Hansu said:

This however is just speculation, so I decided to dig deeper and e-mail the channel. I asked them for their sources, and will be sharing my findings when they answer me.

Great.

On 14.11.2019 at 0:03 PM, Hansu said:

I'd say I gave enough time expecting an answer for my request, but they never answered me. This is a pity, because Second Thought has done some incredible videos before, but what I've learned here isnt putting the channel in a respectful position in my eyes.

I have some statistics on shipbuilding on 2019 and orders for upcoming years if someone is interested. Its looking much better environmentally than 10 years ago.

@Hansu Since you are ship designer; do you know anything about electric propulsion? I know there's a few companies working with this in Finland, but the language barrier is a hassle for doing any research.  I'm looking to convert my fishing boat to electric in the coming few years.  Here in Norway, there's so far only big budget new boats to get, costing 1mill euro+.  A conversion for my needs would probably cost somewhere around 50k nowdays, but the nearest solution is in Holland, as far as I've seen.

@roar Unfortunately I work on a different department so I dont know how to fit, let alone retrofit one on a ship since my knowledge of electric propulsion systems is limited to their general knowledge and maintenance

Quick googling showed me that there are some fishing ships converted to electric propulsion with batteries a few years back in Norway. You could try to look those ships up and see if there is any information on where they were converted? Ship yards are terrible at advertisement :D

@Hansu Yeah those are the boats I mentioned. They are new builds, not conversions.  Selfa Max hybrid.  Second one is just about to be finished, but they are pricy.  1 mill euroes..I will go and have a look at it when the owner gets it delivered, as he lives nearby.

Conversion should be much cheaper.  newelectric.nl does conversions, if you are interested.  But I am sure I've seen some finish companies that also does conversions/new builds.  Thanks for looking, anyways:)