Jacobsrw

Rupert Spira and Leo’s Unequivocal Similarities

21 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

It’s been a long while since posting on here, better late than never as they say. Any who, I came across this video the other day and found it extremely enlightening.

The video is of Rupert Spira (I would assume many of you know) whom I have been listening to now and again for the last few years.

Ruperts manner in speaking on these linguistically challenging topics is extremely admirable and sophisticated. He could very well likely be considered one of contemporary pioneers in discussing this work.

Upon this, it’s come to my attention that Leo receives a lot of untenable criticism that may just purely be due to miss translation and misinterpretation.

However, the more I listen to Rupert  the more that i see parallels in Leo’s work. A large degree of how he constructs his explanations is analogous to Ruperts. The variation in explanations may highlight the criticism Leo receives. Yet I see almost mirroring similarities.

This video and those alike may assist those struggling with some of Leo’s explanations and provide some further scaffolding so Leo’s work can be further appreciated.

ps. Thank you @Leo Gura for all your contributions you’ve provided a lifetime of transformation. 

Edited by Jacobsrw

I have observed this a lot too. Rupert is the GOAT for me when it comes to these topics.

His lucid explanations are the best.  It won't get any simpler than this.

@fi1ghtclub 100%. He is one of a kind on the topic of consciousness.

I feel that interrelating the explanations of different speakers allows you to more deeply appreciate the depth of what each one has individually espoused.

Enabling a more full and sophisticated understanding. Multidimensional gap filling so to speak.

Edited by Jacobsrw

His conversation with Sam Harris in Sams Waking Up app recently was very interesting, it did go into a bit of a debate on if anything outside of consciousness exists though

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

I've listened to probably over 1000 non duality videos. Seen almost all rupert's videos as well. The videos can be helpful when you try to shed your old beliefs, but they will not make you enlightened. There comes a time where you have to actually put the things that these teachers say into practice and investigate yourself. There comes a time where you will no longer crave intellectual understanding, you will feel so fed up with all of the spiritual ideas. You will notice all of the traps of the mind, and you will begin to notice how god damn simple truth is. Your mind is what makes it so damn complicated, the truth will always feel like it's just out of your reach, and that is because your mind is trying to grasp it. It is trying to grasp what already IS.

@TheAlchemist sounds interesting I may have to have a listen. Thank you for sharing.

@traveler could not agree more. Direct experience is much more informative. I feel like I’m getting to a point where all the words and language are just becoming a distraction and I feel a longing need for a break from it all very soon.

The mind is a deceptive construct to the point it will maintain being transfixed by what fascinates it rather than what lies beyond and coincidentally, that’s what threatens it.

I try to do my best taking each speakers words delicately and be sure to confirm it myself before just merely believing it. Thank you for sharing. 

There seems to be one key difference between Leo and Rupert. Rupert doesn't view other people and himself as imaginary cardboard cutouts in my experience. He refutes this and instead points out that other people do have their own experience just like me. Anyone who comes to him with this worldview is politely and effectively corrected. 

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

There seems to be one key difference between Leo and Rupert. Rupert doesn't view other people and himself as imaginary cardboard cutouts in my experience. He refutes this and instead points out that other people do have their own experience just like me. Anyone who comes to him with this worldview is politely and effectively corrected. 

Just because he does not phrase it that way does not mean ultimately they don't agree. Leo continually dresses non-duality on provocative and radical clothes, it's a teaching style thing. "Imaginary cardboard cutouts" starts to smell like solipsism for me, has leo used that exact phrase somewhere?

33 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

Haven't got over the butt hurt have you?

Grow up 

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

1 hour ago, molosku said:

Just because he does not phrase it that way does not mean ultimately they don't agree. Leo continually dresses non-duality on provocative and radical clothes, it's a teaching style thing. "Imaginary cardboard cutouts" starts to smell like solipsism for me, has leo used that exact phrase somewhere?

Leo will tell people that he is an illusion that they are imagining. Literally nobody else behaves like that. The gaslighting he uses may put the reader of the statement into a solipsistic worldview and make them doubt their own sanity. Rupert, when dealing with solipsists basically makes fun of them in a humerous light hearted way by saying "I guess we are just all fake cardboard cutouts then" The way he teaches is pretty brilliant, actually. 

Edited by Shaun

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Leo will tell people that he is an illusion that they are imagining. 

And thats exactly right. Have you become conscious of your tru nature? If you have, how would you phrase this better? 

Leos style can be off putting to some, especially people who havent followed him from the start and seen the whole of his growth. 

I would phrase it as Leo is just one expression of that infinite whole, as are we all. I'm not imagining the whole thing, but rather am imagined by it. Kind of like a cloud in the sky or wave in an ocean. That's a nicer way of explaining it to people so that they don't end up losing all motivation in life and going totally doo lally like I did last year.  I'm sorry but it's just the way I see it just now. Maybe I will find out for sure one day. 

@Danioover9000

Notice how you just projected depression onto me? 

15 hours ago, molosku said:

And thats exactly right.

I've contemplated this some more and I think he is right in a sense. Leo is just a learned label that we apply to a collection of sounds and colours which in and of themselves are meaningless. In that sense, we create Leo, or each other. That doesn't mean that he doesn't exist though as clearly there's something there which we all agree upon. Just remember if you ask any sane person whether they exist, they will look at you like you're nuts and say yes. I've done that experiment on my friends a few times.

Wow this discussion took an unexpected turn. Let’s try and share these ideas with the greatest respect to each other’s opinions.

@Shaun this is so ironic you brought that up. I previously thought this too until I heard Rupert speak in depth on the relationship between consciousness and self.

Much like Leo, he explains consciousness as a spacious field that experiences itself through different avenues. Stating that in order for consciousness to experience itself it must fragment itself into a multiplicity of finite perceptions that experience consciousness in their own unique way -this is the self.

This is similar to Leo’s explanation as he explains consciousness as a giant mind that experiences itself through taking the form of one of its probes. In other words, consciousness experiences itself through the separateness - the self.

Further, they both seem to explain consciousness as imaginary in the context of self, it’s realness is only apparent relative to context of duality.

Not to mention I actually initially intuited Rupert and Leo to be competitively different until viewing a substantial amount of their content.

The reason I’ve mentioned all this is not to try and make Leo and Rupert equivalent in their teachings, but rather in that they are both pointing to the very same thing in slightly different ways.

So my point in sharing this post was not to impart debate, but rather deeper realisation of the essence of what lies common across each persons teachings. 

Edited by Jacobsrw

On 10/20/2019 at 0:08 PM, traveler said:

I've listened to probably over 1000 non duality videos. Seen almost all rupert's videos as well. The videos can be helpful when you try to shed your old beliefs, but they will not make you enlightened. There comes a time where you have to actually put the things that these teachers say into practice and investigate yourself. There comes a time where you will no longer crave intellectual understanding, you will feel so fed up with all of the spiritual ideas. You will notice all of the traps of the mind, and you will begin to notice how god damn simple truth is. Your mind is what makes it so damn complicated, the truth will always feel like it's just out of your reach, and that is because your mind is trying to grasp it. It is trying to grasp what already IS.

No one's videos will make you enlightened.  Rupert's videos are not meant to be viewed over and over again in a never-ending hamster wheel.  Understand the concepts and then investigate on your own.  He always stresses to learn from your own experience and not just take what he says at face value.

Rupert for life.  Recently dropped $300.00 on his guided meditations.  I regret nothing.

@Jacobsrw Leo and Rupert come from their mystical experiences. That is the similar part :P

Before watching Leo I listened to Rupert Spira and Adyashanti, but now Leo goes much deeper that them.

11 hours ago, JunkyJu said:

@Beginner Mind Are they much different from his meditations on youtube?

Not much different, but there's more variety.